• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Champion Of Gender Equality, Dies At 87

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP to a giant. She was an amazing woman.

Couldnt agree more...let the constitutional process work its way out. But for the sake of doing it right, this thing shouldnt be rushed just to fill the seat before the election. Proper vetting and hearings probably cant be done in such a short amount of time and ramming through a nomination would damage the integrity of the court the eyes of the American people

Average nomination to conformation time is like 75 days. I'm not sure why you think a justice would have to be confirmed before the election; the current administration is in office for another 120+ days.

The smart political move, IMO, would be to make the nomination the primary issue going-
into election night, thereby having a base 'rallying cry' - while concurrently taking the coronovirus and other heat off Trump. I'd paint the Dems as obstructionists, and let the nomination fight play-out past election day. That would save the vulnerable Senators from taking a hard vote going into the election, where they are then politically less restrained after.
Nice!

Now, if only they'd pay me! :cool:
One discussion that was brought to my attention was that the ultimate troll move for Trump would be to nominate Garland and watch heads explode on both sides. Since Garland wouldn't be the worst choice ever if confirmed in such a gambit, I think it's a fantastic plan, if pretty unlikely to happen.

One discussion that was brought to my attention was that the ultimate troll move for Trump would be to nominate Garland and watch heads explode on both sides. Since Garland wouldn't be the worst choice ever if confirmed in such a gambit, I think it's a fantastic plan, if pretty unlikely to happen.
It would be pretty funny, but I think it's going to be Amy Barrett. Female, Catholic, Conservative, staunchly pro-life, and already vetted.

Since I havent seen a thread started on this yet, I thought I would open it up.

"Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the demure firebrand who in her 80s became a legal, cultural and feminist icon, died Friday. The Supreme Court announced her death, saying the cause was complications from metastatic cancer of the pancreas."

First off, RIP RBG, you were a giant and you will be sorely missed. I am at a loss as to what to say about her passing, but I am deeply frustrating and angry that instead of celebrating her life, we were all immediately reduced to talking about filling her vacancy.

Which brings me to my next point (s): What will the Republican senate do? What should they do, given their previous positions in the past regarding open SC seats in an election year? What, if anything, can be done to stop a vacancy from being filled?
I was so sorry DP was down when I heard the news. I needed to mourn a little bit. She was a champ; small but mighty, as they say around here. Ruth was a hero to a lot of women, NOT just over the damned abortion fight, but because she squared those little shoulders and held her own digging into some of the most complex law in the world. Ruth had brains--a lot of them. She was also one determined woman, battling her failing health for years longer than she probably wanted to, to keep the conservative/liberal balance.

The fact that she tended to support liberal causes was a plus, I'll not deny it, but that was not the only reason she was a hero to me. The world has lost a great mind and a strong woman who did a very difficult job very well.

I hope she didn't suffer, but I know she must have, and the fact that she couldn't outlast Trump must have been a bitter pill at the end. Hats off to her. I am going to miss using one of my favorite memes of her, saying YOU GO, GIRL! I'm glad she's not suffering, but I will miss her.

Heck of a career she had. May she Rest In Peace.
wonderful woman. brilliant jurist. tough fighter-but often ignored the obvious intent of the constitution for political expediency.

It would be pretty funny, but I think it's going to be Amy Barrett. Female, Catholic, Conservative, staunchly pro-life, and already vetted.
as an Ivy leaguer I think the court should have more than three law schools represented. And while Notre Dame is not in the same league as any of the Ivies, it is a very good law school and someone who graduates first in her class at Notre Dame is certainly intellectually gifted enough to be on the court.

wonderful woman. brilliant jurist. tough fighter-but often ignored the obvious intent of the constitution for political expediency.

Im glad that people of different political stripes can respect her so much despite disagreeing with her rulings...I wish that the reaction after Scalias passing from the left had been more like what it has been for RBG. They were both brilliant jurists, and we ought to celebrate their lives and contributions toward our democracy rather than fighting over their seats before their bodies are even cold.

Im glad that people of different political stripes can respect her so much despite disagreeing with her rulings...I wish that the reaction after Scalias passing from the left had been more like what it has been for RBG. They were both brilliant jurists, and we ought to celebrate their lives and contributions toward our democracy rather than fighting over their seats before their bodies are even cold.
Here is where I admire the late Justice-who I once met-though very briefly. Her devotion to her husband was off the charts. As a I-L, she not only made top grades at Harvard Law, she took notes for him when he was too sick from Chemo to attend classes. She graduated at the very top of her class at Columbia and did not allow being discriminated against on the basis of sex, prevent her from being an extremely capable and respected advocate. She also proved-as did her dear friend, Anton Scalia-that people who had fundamentally opposing political philosophies, could love and cherish each other for the good in them. I think her judicial philosophy was often an abomination, and I believe it was the epitome of "the end justifies the means" attitude. But I don't damn her for that-and given the way she was treated, as a young attorney with impeccable credentials, due to her gender, I can understand her expediency. I would be a liar if I denied that I welcome Trump being able to replace her with someone who actually follows the rights enumerated in the Bill of Rights and sees those enumerated rights as at least equal-or perhaps superior-to ones that have been recently "discovered" by some judges. But also can praise this woman for her persistence, and her intellect and drive.

RIP Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. A strong mind and strong views, alongside broad tolerance and respect for differences.

as an Ivy leaguer I think the court should have more than three law schools represented. And while Notre Dame is not in the same league as any of the Ivies, it is a very good law school and someone who graduates first in her class at Notre Dame is certainly intellectually gifted enough to be on the court.
That's an interesting take.

I like ND for a lot of things, not just it's law school. It doesn't have absolute number one rated schools, but most of it's schools are rated in the top several dozen - which makes it nationally competitive as a whole. The undergrad is well ranked, too. And for all the talk of the Yalies' alumni network, I've never seen a tighter alumni network than the Irish. Visit from out-of-state, & they'll put you up in their own damn houses!

Generally for undergrad:

Chicago is where you go when you're geeky smart, and love learning for the sake of learning. Northwestern is where you go when your smart and want to be a professional, and are willing to put up with, or want to hang-out with, chip-on-their-shoulder old-money East Coast Prep Schoolers who couldn't get into HYP. ND is where you go when you're smart, but not smart enough for Chicago or Northwestern - or you're Irish. If you're Irish, particularly SouthSide Irish, it is the Holy Grail. The #1 choice. In Irish circles those football tickets will open up doors like nothing else around! Ditto for the alums.

But now after looking into this nomination business, I wouldn't be surprised if Trump goes with Barbara Lagoa (Columbia). It would be a pure political pander to the Miami Cubans that Trump's been strongly playing to, in an effort to have them bring Florida in for him. As important as FL is, especially for him as he can't win without it, I now wouldn't doubt he picks her.

Since I value your opinion, does it concern you that Joe Biden has not released a list of his potential supreme court nominees?

Since I value your opinion, does it concern you that Joe Biden has not released a list of his potential supreme court nominees?
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I really haven't given it much thought, but at this point I think Biden's better off keeping his cards close to his chest. We need to see how this plays out for Trump, before joining in the fray. I think Biden is best served at this time by not getting in the weeds with this, besides decrying it.

Joe Biden isn't president. For all he knows barrett might get confirmed. I didn't see trump put out a list for scalia's vacancy during the campaign.

his best choice is a lady on the California Supreme court who is Jewish/Jamaican and was a Yale Law Graduate with a supreme court clerkship. His second best choice is a district court judge in DC who was Harvard and Harvard law Honors graduate. He pretty much as to pick a black female and those two have the academic credentials to be on the court-though a district court judge isn't all that exciting. The lady from California is seen as a moderate IIRC

Joe Biden isn't president. For all he knows barrett might get confirmed. I didn't see trump put out a list for scalia's vacancy during the campaign.
actually Trump did put out a list of potential judges-but that was after he was the nominee. IIRC Trump was no where near winning the nomination when Scalia died

Then you must not have been reading the news May 18th/19th of 2016...

actually Trump did put out a list of potential judges-but that was after he was the nominee. IIRC Trump was no where near winning the nomination when Scalia died
But it would be pretty arrogant for biden to name people for a vacancy he might not get a chance to fill? Do you not agree?

Average nomination to conformation time is like 75 days. I'm not sure why you think a justice would have to be confirmed before the election; the current administration is in office for another 120+ days.
The reasoning for rushing has to do with the thought of a contested election, which is handled by the supreme court, but if the supreme court can not handle it ie a tie or circumstances being too close for the court to decide, the house votes on who is president.

Given the calls for biden to fight to the end, it is likely many in the party are figuring biden will lose and hope to contest it enough for the house to decide the winner, which would be more likely if the scotus hit a tie on the vote without a 9th justice.

Of course part of this I do not see too feasable even with 8 justices, as likely if it came down to a single state likely both liberal or conservative judges would side with the rules of the electoral college rather than play politics and end up with an even vote.

Somewhere there's a list of how long its taken between seat vacated and when it was filled. 6 weeks seemed to be well within that range and certainly Jan 20th 2021 is plenty of time.

Trump will nominate a womanso democracts won't be able to use their stable of fake rape "victims" which should speed up the process.

This kind of comment is the sort of trash we had to do without for a whole weekend. :LOL:

...emojis replaced the DP smilies? Oh hell yes. I'm going to have some fun with this. :cool:

But it would be pretty arrogant for biden to name people for a vacancy he might not get a chance to fill? Do you not agree?
Candidates releasing lists of judges they consider qualified is not new, or presumptive. People have been asking Biden for lists of people he might consider for the court, one of the most import pieces of policy a President can have (since they alone control the nomination, which is for life, as opposed to general policy goals that need support from both house and Senate and can be repealed).

This isn't something that just popped up this week.

Thank you for one of the best malaprops I've seen in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom