• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jordan Peterson is brilliant - If you disagree and dislike him or object to his views, make your case.

Everything he says relates to the topic being discussed. He gives lots of example that are relative to what he's discussing with someone...

What was the topic being discussed?

This again is what I'm talking about.

If you want to know who he is and what he believes, don't rely on wiki or anyone else to tell you, take 5 minutes out of your day and find out for yourself. Just go to YouTube, type his name in along with the topic, and you will hear exactly what he says and believes, and in context.

I dunno, Grim... maybe this just isn't my cup of tea? I don't usually buy into pop-psychology 12-steps to the answer of everything stuff. I'm not saying that's what he's peddling... it's just how it strikes me.

The way I figure it, if his arguments have merit, and you buy into them... then try adapting them in here to beat us over the head with them. Proof is in the pudding. If his shit is weak it won't take someone like @Cardinal or @Hamish Howl or some other razor blade philosopher around here to cut it up.

I know about his thoughts on women's studies and the humanities, which I couldn't agree with more, but I don't recall him ever advocating for defunding courses on English literature or anthropology? I believe he has criticized those 2 for the way they are currently being taught, but nothing beyond that.

If you can show me what he said, I will watch it and comment on it.
I find his criticisms of certain university disciplines to be distasteful. They reflect the same tired accusations of so-called "neo-marxism" that is so commonly peddled by conservative pseudo-intellectuals, without offering much if anything in the way of substantive discussion about the relevant course material itself. I also find it ironic that he criticizes these discplines so harshly while being himself a student of the social sciences.

I dunno, Grim... maybe this just isn't my cup of tea? I don't usually buy into pop-psychology 12-steps to the answer of everything stuff. I'm not saying that's what he's peddling... it's just how it strikes me.

The way I figure it, if his arguments have merit, and you buy into them... then try adapting them in here to beat us over the head with them. Proof is in the pudding. If his shit is weak it won't take someone like @Cardinal or @Hamish Howl or some other razor blade philosopher around here to cut it up.

Razor blade philosophers? I imagine both of them have beards.

Why don't you start by quoting a statement he's made that you consider "smart?"

If you want to see the full context, then watch the entire discussion here.

I don't. I withstood two minutes. I'll add 'razzle dazzle' to @Cordelier's "superficial" to sum it up. If you're inspired by his presentations, then enjoy them.

I find his criticisms of certain university disciplines to be distasteful. They reflect the same tired accusations of so-called "neo-marxism" that is so commonly peddled by conservative pseudo-intellectuals, without offering much if anything in the way of substantive discussion about the relevant course material itself. I also find it ironic that he criticizes these discplines so harshly while being himself a student of the social sciences.
The man has been lied about and trashed by the news media, which is why I stated from the outset that if you claim something about him, it needs to come directly from him, not from the words of someone else.

If you have the video, please link it, otherwise there's nothing to comment on.

Razor blade philosophers?

*LOL* That's my description. You know the type... they wander around the neighborhood, looking for trial balloons and weak arguments to cut up. Then they whip out the razors and slice and dice. Doesn't much matter if it's left or if it's right... they're only offended by your shit being weak.

Not at all familiar with the man.
But many of his co-workers do not find him brilliant at all.
Not everybody is persuaded that Peterson is a thinker of substance, however. Last November, fellow University of Toronto professor Ira Wells called him “the professor of piffle” – a YouTube star rather than a credible intellectual. Tabatha Southey, a columnist for the Canadian magazine Macleans, designated him “the stupid man’s smart person”.

*LOL* That's my description. You know the type... they wander around the neighborhood, looking for trial balloons and weak arguments to cut up. Then they whip out the razors and slice and dice. Doesn't much matter if it's left or if it's right... they're only offended by your shit being weak.

As far as I can tell, both of their commentaries are an odd mixture of 'Left' and 'Right.'

The man has been lied about and trashed by the news media, which is why I stated from the outset that if you claim something about him, it needs to come directly from him, not from the words of someone else.

If you have the video, please link it, otherwise there's nothing to comment on.
The article I posted directly quotes his own words at a speaking event. If direct quotes are not good enough for you then we have nothing further to discuss. I am not interested in tediously poring through video lectures.

He has some interesting things to say. I like reading his takes on psychology, literature, and religious mythology. I liked his first book (haven't read his second book yet). His takes on identity politics are more hit-or-miss, but I don't really understand the amount of hate that he draws relative to his ideas. He's so mild-mannered and isn't saying anything particularly terrible. He's definitely a lot more conservative than I am, particularly when it comes to gender roles, but so are billions of other people.

If I have one complaint, it's that he doesn't always seem to practice what he preaches. He often talks about getting one's own life in order before one tries to tackle the problems of the world, but he seems like a rather bad spokesperson for that message. Between his drug addiction, subjecting himself to an experimental treatment where he was induced into a coma in Russia, and his radical dietary suggestions (he says his diet is effective but he looks like hell)...it just seems like he doesn't have his own life in order. I wish him the best in solving his problems, but "Clean your room" is much more effective advice when it comes from someone whose own room is clean.

Why don't you start by quoting a statement he's made that you consider "smart?"
I didn't create this thread to justify my feelings toward him... I created this thread for the many out their who dismiss him without justification... It's a challenge to them to justify their dislike and dismissal of the man.

Not at all familiar with the man.
But many of his co-workers do not find him brilliant at all.
Not everybody is persuaded that Peterson is a thinker of substance, however. Last November, fellow University of Toronto professor Ira Wells called him “the professor of piffle” – a YouTube star rather than a credible intellectual. Tabatha Southey, a columnist for the Canadian magazine Macleans, designated him “the stupid man’s smart person”.
Relying on someone else's opinion is dishonest.

... his radical dietary suggestions (he says his diet is effective but he looks like hell)...

Let me guess: A twist on the keto diet?

Their philosophy isn't ideology... it's about going after the bottom-feeders and picking them off for the amusement of all.

If you say so, and if you're into that sort of thing.

I didn't create this thread to justify my feelings toward him... I created this thread for the many out their who dismiss him without justification... It's a challenge to them to justify their dislike and dismissal of the man.
Well, that's convenient.

"Here's a guy I love and admire. Prove why I shouldn't. And you have to post everything he ever said. Go."

He has some interesting things to say. I like reading his takes on psychology, literature, and religious mythology. I liked his first book (haven't read his second book yet). His takes on identity politics are more hit-or-miss, but I don't really understand the amount of hate that he draws relative to his ideas. He's so mild-mannered and isn't saying anything particularly terrible. He's definitely a lot more conservative than I am, particularly when it comes to gender roles, but so are billions of other people.

If I have one complaint, it's that he doesn't always seem to practice what he preaches. He often talks about getting one's own life in order before one tries to tackle the problems of the world, but he seems like a rather bad spokesperson for that message. Between his drug addiction, subjecting himself to an experimental treatment where he was induced into a coma in Russia, and his radical dietary suggestions (he says his diet is effective but he looks like hell)...it just seems like he doesn't have his own life in order. I wish him the best in solving his problems, but "Clean your room" is much more effective advice when it comes from someone whose own room is clean.
Fair enough... He's the first person that will tell you he has had his share of issues. His entire family has suffered though unbelievable medical hardships, including his addiction to the anxiety meds that doctors had him on for years that nearly killed both him and his daughter.

Back
Top Bottom