• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jim Jordan Should Be Disqualified From Ballot Over Jan. 6 - 14th Amendment, Sec 3

Should Jim Jordan be DISQUALIFIED from the ballot based on the 14th Amendment?

• Total voters
He won’t be when the House flips to the GOPutins, as you well know.
Which is irrelevant since it’s the DOJ who prosecutes alleged criminals, not Congress.

Swing voters are not the end all and ****ing be all of everything. You and i saw the same goddamn facts that he not only was complicit in it but also perpetuated it the illegal attempt to overturn the 2020 elections. Enough of this shit. If muh swing voters is all you are ever going to post then its best we didnt speak.

If justice is only going to be a popularity contest then i may as well just find greener pastures than this shit.

Why are you and i never able to get away with crimes because of polling but Trumpists are? This is just a game to you when for many its not.
If I read the con
In your mind, yes. The article on constitutional law uses the word theoretically and adds this, However, how disqualification works under the 14th Amendment has never been clear. Then there was this:

Under Sections 3 and 5 of the Fourteenth Amendment, Congress could bar someone from holding office. But unlike an impeachment conviction, that decision could be overturned by the courts. Most importantly, under the 14th Amendment, disqualification requires only a simple majority vote, not the two-thirds vote needed to convict during an impeachment trial.

https://constitution.findlaw.com/amendment14/annotation15.html

No one knows how the 14th amendment would work or apply. If tried, there probably would be lawsuits all the way to the SCOTUS to determine if the 14th applied or not. Congress keeps coming up in the article, now congress could bar Jordon via a simple majority vote. That’s congress, not you nor I. Can a state use the 14th amendment to bar someone from running, again that’s dicey? One thing for sure, this is all unchartered territory using a portion of an amendment that was originally intended to apply only to those who served the confederacy.

I would think someone being convicted in a court of law, either state or federal, then yes. Other than that, congress must act. But who knows? Not even constitutional lawyers know. Never been tried.
If I read this article right, constitutionally, congress has the authority to label Joran as an insurrection and bar him from seeking reelection and holding any elected office ever again.

Perhaps you should ask why congress hasn’t done so if it is so simple? Democrats control congress. Or why hasn’t the Biden, Garland’s democratic led DOJ brought up charges of insurrection against Jordon? A federal court conviction would suffice according to constitutional lawyers. Although either one would be appealed and eventually decided by the SCOTUS.

The fact is as of today, Jordan hasn’t been convicted of insurrection or rebellion. He hasn’t even been officially, legally charged. So, it’s just opinion we’re going by here. Exactly how to use and to what effect this little-known portion of the 14th amendment would play or even if something intended for those of the old confederacy would apply. No one knows. It’s never been tried.

There’s only one way to find out. Have congress, by simple majority vote brand Jordan as an insurrectionist or charged him federally of being insurrectionist. If none of these are done, the 14th in my opinion doesn’t apply. At least legally and officially. You or I saying it does, means nothing officially or legally.

It’s allowed to do that under federal law, so basically you want to bar someone from public office for doing what the law allows.
Do you support Jordan’s part in planning the insurrection?

Do you support Jordan dismissing the 1/6 committee as judiciary chair when gops win the house?

It's no wonder Kevin McCarthy wanted Jordan to be a member on the House of Representatives committee investigating the events of Jan. 6th. Which was subsequently shot down by Speaker Nancy Pelosi for good reason. Why? Because during a previous interview, Jordan basically admitted he had spoken with Donald Trump about what was going to happen on that day, despite publicly stating that he had not done so. - Last I heard, perjury in itself was a crime. - Important to note however, is that had he been allowed to take part in the 'investigation', it would have kept Jordan from becoming a material witness to the committee’s investigation, which is precisely what McCarthy was trying to prevent by having Jordan become a member of the committee. Basically, a slick move in order to help block Jordan from having to testify. For now, I think it's fairly evident how Jordan may very well get re-elected again, all thanks to his gerrymandered district. Unless of course, Congress decides to pull its pants up, and finally pass voting rights legislation as a means to end such practices. I voted 'unsure' for the obvious.

If I read the con

If I read this article right, constitutionally, congress has the authority to label Joran as an insurrection and bar him from seeking reelection and holding any elected office ever again.

Perhaps you should ask why congress hasn’t done so if it is so simple? Democrats control congress. Or why hasn’t the Biden, Garland’s democratic led DOJ brought up charges of insurrection against Jordon? A federal court conviction would suffice according to constitutional lawyers. Although either one would be appealed and eventually decided by the SCOTUS.

The fact is as of today, Jordan hasn’t been convicted of insurrection or rebellion. He hasn’t even been officially, legally charged. So, it’s just opinion we’re going by here. Exactly how to use and to what effect this little-known portion of the 14th amendment would play or even if something intended for those of the old confederacy would apply. No one knows. It’s never been tried.

There’s only one way to find out. Have congress, by simple majority vote brand Jordan as an insurrectionist or charged him federally of being insurrectionist. If none of these are done, the 14th in my opinion doesn’t apply. At least legally and officially. You or I saying it does, means nothing officially or legally.
When i speak to people in other countries they are disturbed at how much our politicians are able to get away with. If i wanted to get away with murder, i’d become president of the united states or a congressman. The legal system is incapable of holding the powerful accountable.

When i speak to people in other countries they are disturbed at how much our politicians are able to get away with. If i wanted to get away with murder, i’d become president of the united states or a congressman. The legal system is incapable of holding the powerful accountable.
It has for the most part, always been that way. As for Jordan, I suppose Pelosi and Schumer have their own reasons for not bringing the insurrection charge before congress and have a vote on it. Either could whenever their little pea picken hearts so desired. They control the agenda of both the house and the senate. What those reasons are, I haven’t the faintest. The DOJ could also charge Jordan with insurrection, they haven’t. The FBI has done a good job of going after those involved, some 735 have been charged already with more to come.

I think when you start going after elected officials, you better have your ducks in order. If it’s the DOJ, FBI, you’re going to have to convince both a grand jury to indict and then a jury of peers to convict. This is all in their hands.

Do you support Jordan’s part in planning the insurrection?

Do you support Jordan dismissing the 1/6 committee as judiciary chair when gops win the house?
The committee is a political action when the focus should be on what the DOJ comes up with and the cases they’re able to bring to trial.

It has for the most part, always been that way. As for Jordan, I suppose Pelosi and Schumer have their own reasons for not bringing the insurrection charge before congress and have a vote on it. Either could whenever their little pea picken hearts so desired. They control the agenda of both the house and the senate. What those reasons are, I haven’t the faintest. The DOJ could also charge Jordan with insurrection, they haven’t. The FBI has done a good job of going after those involved, some 735 have been charged already with more to come.

I think when you start going after elected officials, you better have your ducks in order. If it’s the DOJ, FBI, you’re going to have to convince both a grand jury to indict and then a jury of peers to convict. This is all in their hands.
How about when elected officials like Jordan help plan an insurrection?

How about when elected officials like Jordan help plan an insurrection?
Congress can charge Jordan with insurrection, then vote on it to deny him from holding any elected office or any other office that involves in talking an oath to the Constitution of the United States. I think you ought to address this question to Speaker Pelosi or to Democratic Senate Majority Leader Schumer as to the reasons they haven’t. They control the congressional agenda.

Or perhaps to the DOJ of Garland who also could bring up those charges before a federal grand jury. Once convicted of insurrection, then the 14th would apply to Jordan. Just you or I saying he did, has no legal or official standing. Legally, officially, whether Jordan did or didn’t participate in an insurrection is totally in the hands of congress or the DOJ to decide. If congress, a simple majority is all that is needed to convict and deny. I suppose jail time and other penalties would apply if the DOJ filed insurrection charges and obtain a conviction of Jordan in federal court.

Your question of “How about when elected officials like Jordan help plan an insurrection?” should be addressed to those who have the power to do something about Jordan and others. We don’t have any power; we just have opinions.

147 who should not be allowed to hold office ever again.
Not JUST Gym Jordan.

View attachment 67375908
Then you would have no problem barring the 194 Democrats who voted to overturn the 2016 election results from every running for office again, right?

Leftist hypocrites are so predictable. :rolleyes:

Then you would have no problem barring the 194 Democrats who voted to overturn the 2016 election results from every running for office again, right?

Leftist hypocrites are so predictable. :rolleyes:

Rightist filth is so predicable.

The committee is a political action when the focus should be on what the DOJ comes up with and the cases they’re able to bring to trial.
The committee was setup because the DOJ wasnt going to investigate it on their own.

I’m not justifying what Jordan or any politician has done who has voted against certifying the electoral college votes. The simple fact is a poorly written law allowed for just this activity to take place which is why Congress kinda wants to change the Electoral Count Act.
It didnt really allow for this to take place. Pence knew that.

It didnt really allow for this to take place. Pence knew that.
Read the law. It allows for Representatives and Senators to vote no on certification. It’s a pointless and unnecessary requirement since the votes are already certified by the states. There is no need for Congress to “approve” the votes, just to count them.

Read the law. It allows for Representatives and Senators to vote no on certification. It’s a pointless and unnecessary requirement since the votes are already certified by the states. There is no need for Congress to “approve” the votes, just to count them.
They tried to get Mike Pence to send it back to the states. The constitution is clear on his role. They knew they were telling lies. They cant just willy nilly decertify the election that was not even close.

Last edited:
Of course they were and they are.
They are not on their own, they even refuse to give the committee any teeth. The system works for the likes of Trump.

You know when they try this again and Trump pardons the mob i will be right here saying i told you so.

They are not on their own, they even refuse to give the committee any teeth. The system works for the likes of Trump.
None of that has anything to do with DOJ investigating what happened on January 6th. The committee doesn’t have any “teeth” by design because it’s not their job.

They tried to get Mike Pence to send it back to the states. The constitution is clear on his role. They knew they were telling lies. They cant just willy nilly decertify the election that was not even close.
Pence did the right thing.

None of that has anything to do with DOJ investigating what happened on January 6th. The committee doesn’t have any “teeth” by design because it’s not their job.
It is their job to gather evidence. The DOJ wont do it without the committee.

It's not a question whether or not Rep Jordan has been seditious towards our US Government but what legal/legit actions are now needed to seal the deal based on his alleged violation(s) and the 14th Amendment?

Why are you only asking about Jim Jordan? What about every other lawmaker who was seditious that day?

It is their job to gather evidence. The DOJ wont do it without the committee.
No, the DOJ has never stopped gathering evidence as demonstrated by the recent indictments of the Oath Keepers. It is not the job of Congress to gather evidence for criminal prosecutions.

Why are you only asking about Jim Jordan? What about every other lawmaker who was seditious that day?
All of them would be fine to investigate and possibly take actions as well, but somebody needs to the first one - so my personal choice is Rep Jordan.

Back
Top Bottom