• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

James Mattis steps down as secretary of defense, cites differing views with Trump

Couple of key differences though. Obama erred on the side of caution in not being reckless with his use of the military and perhaps a little too much so, and he had little to no support from Congress for taking action against Syria. Whereas Trump uses the military as a political prop, gives out impulsive and rash orders with litlle to no consultation and has enjoyed wide support from the House and Senate. Up till now anyways.

Obama was premature departing Iraq, and late aiding the Syrian rebels. Those two decisions were the foundation of the refugee crisis and cost upwards of 500,000 lives. Trumps is carrying on that sad tradition.

We did and Congress said no, Obama sent them anyways.

Oh but that was different...
Obama was their all knowing anointed one. No rules for him.

Now illuminate us all on the different motivations between Russia, Assad and Iran, because you know damn well these three are all in it for different reasons.
Then tell us why it was wise to allow Russia to waltz in there in the first place (Obama did not do that) and why, if Iran is so evil, we're letting them have free reign over there now.

This essay in particular has not aged well:

My money says that we will be forced to return to Syria pretty soon, and not just with two thousand "advisers" either.

Quit lying!!!!! september 2015 was a year & a half before Trump became president. Typical nonsense as expected from the resistance.
On 30 September 2015, Russia launched its first airstrikes against targets in Rastan, Talbiseh, and Zafaraniya in Homs province
of Syria. Moscow gave the United States a one-hour advance notice of its operations. The Homs area is crucial to President
Bashar al-Assad's control of western Syria.

Then tell us why it was wise to allow Russia to waltz in there in the first place (Obama did not do that) and why, if Iran is so evil, we're letting them have free reign over there now.

Actually, that's just what Obama did. Trump is extending Obama's failure.

Obama was premature departing Iraq, and late aiding the Syrian rebels. Those two decisions were the foundation of the refugee crisis and cost upwards of 500,000 lives. Trumps is carrying on that sad tradition.

They didn't want us in Iraq then and the same sort of situation might be brewing again in Iraq with elections just months away the current Prime Minister there is starting feel the heat about the presence of American forces in Iraq. If the the current leadership didn't have doubts before about the extent of American commitment they do now.

Oh but that was different...
Obama was their all knowing anointed one. No rules for him.

Doesn't appear to be rules for anyone anymore when it comes to war, hell people are actually criticizing Trump for doing the right thing (it might be for the wrong reasons, but I dont care how he came to the conclusion as long as it is the correct one)

They didn't want us in Iraq then and the same sort of situation might be brewing again in Iraq with elections just months away the current Prime Minister there is starting feel the heat about the presence of American forces in Iraq. If the the current leadership didn't have doubts before about the extent of American commitment they do now.

I'm not going to revisit our premature departure from Iraq.

Doesn't appear to be rules for anyone anymore when it comes to war, hell people are actually criticizing Trump for doing the right thing (it might be for the wrong reasons, but I dont care how he came to the conclusion as long as it is the correct one)

Agree! And our withdrawal shouldn't come as a big surprise to anyone...It's not like people couldn't find out his views on Syria before he was elected. This is just another opportunity for his haters to bash him.

Trump at the time posted a number of tweets arguing against intervention. As the Obama administration was considering its response to the Syrian government’s violation of President Obama’s “red line” about using chemical weapons, Trump warned that the U.S. should “stay the hell out of Syria.”

He sounded similar notes on the campaign trail. “I’ve taken a very different position on Syria,” Trump told supporters at a rally in Iowa in October 2015. By then, the Russian intervention had shifted the course of the war in Assad’s favor, and Trump declared it was not worth the risk of confronting Russia on the battlefield to punish Assad. “What, over Syria? We’re going to start World War III. Right, give me a break.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/04/trump-syria/557768/

Hey now, don't go blowing up the Left's narrative that he did this because Putin told him too......

I'm really embarrassed for my country with all these divisive Trump haters making up complete :bs because they still can't get over the fact that Trump beat their candidate, Hillary.

As if it wasn't obvious by now but still:

https://twitter.com/elianayjohnson/status/1075892750808158208

Eliana Johnson@elianayjohnson

“Officials said Mr. Mattis went to the White House on Thursday afternoon in a last attempt to convince Mr. Trump to keep American troops in Syria. He was rebuffed, and told the president that he was resigning as a result” via ⁦@helenecooper⁩ -

I'm not going to revisit our premature departure from Iraq.

Just one more point. It was President Bush who signed the US-Iraq Status of Forces Agreement that set a date June 30, 2009 for the full withdrawal of US forces from Iraq. President Obama secured an extension for another 10 months to August 31, 2010. When the talks for another extension collapsed the remaining US forces in Iraq were withdrawn were withdrawn.

So it's all about keeping campaign promises and the consequences be damned?

I guess so... Unaffordable Obamacare?
"We have to pass it to see what's in it?"

Yeah... ;)

Hey, as your anointed one said, "Elections have consequences."

BFD... he's a businessman, not an ass kissing establishment politician.
Turnover is to be expected.

He’s an incompetent buffoon. He has evidenced no long term thinking and is lacking in any management skill.

He’s an incompetent buffoon. He has evidenced no long term thinking and is lacking in any management skill.

Nonsense.

I guess so... Unaffordable Obamacare?
"We have to pass it to see what's in it?"

Yeah... ;)

Hey, as your anointed one said, "Elections have consequences."

Really? You are going to conflate an issue of domestic policy such as healthcare with an issue of foreign policy with the potential far reaching implications for our security and those of our allies? Remember when George Bush Sr. made his campaign promise of "read my lips, no new taxes". But later went back on that because it was "the right thing to do for our country". Whatever happened to that kind of statesmanship where you put the interests of the country ahead your own personal and party interest? You said earlier you feel embarrassed for country? You really should because of how this orange charlatan conman has damaged us in how the rest of the world perceives us and the damage he has done to our democratic values and institutions. You're damn right elections have consequences and we are damn sure that the consequences of this past one are going to be felt by the GOP in the ballot boxes come 2020.

Assad was close to falling, till Hezbollah sent more fighters, Russia with air power, Iraq with Shia Brigades, Iran with the IRG
His military is spread thin and has been for the past few years.

Now how will Assad, under the guidance of Russia/Iran deal with the Kurds, who are not well liked by Turkey and Erdogan.

Since Trump made this decision almost immediately following a conversation with Erogan, I fear Trump told the Turkish president that the USA would not interfere when Turkish troops, aircraft and artillery slaughters the Kurds in both Syria and Iraq at will. There goes one of the staunchest American allies in the region, not to mention the fiercest fighters and most loyal friends.

Our country will never recover from this president's disastrous "foreign policy" in my lifetime; perhaps not even in this century. Trump is lining his pockets with human lives; pathetic and tragic.

Since Trump made this decision almost immediately following a conversation with Erogan, I fear Trump told the Turkish president that the USA would not interfere when Turkish troops, aircraft and artillery slaughters the Kurds in both Syria and Iraq at will. There goes one of the staunchest American allies in the region, not to mention the fiercest fighters and most loyal friends.

Our country will never recover from this president's disastrous "foreign policy" in my lifetime; perhaps not even in this century. Trump is lining his pockets with human lives; pathetic and tragic.

IIRC up to 74 countries, a coalition worked with the US against ISIL. How will they look at future problems when the US comes a calling?

Really? You are going to conflate an issue of domestic policy such as healthcare with an issue of foreign policy with the potential far reaching implications for our security and those of our allies? Remember when George Bush Sr. made his campaign promise of "read my lips, no new taxes". But later went back on that because it was "the right thing to do for our country". Whatever happened to that kind of statesmanship where you put the interests of the country ahead your own personal and party interest? You said earlier you feel embarrassed for country? You really should because of how this orange charlatan conman has damaged us in how the rest of the world perceives us and the damage he has done to our democratic values and institutions. You're damn right elections have consequences and we are damn sure that the consequences of this past one are going to be felt by the GOP in the ballot boxes come 2020.

Elections have consequences. If you don't like that they do, maybe you should tell Obama what he said about that is a bunch of horse pucky.

I'm not cheering, but the turnover rate of this White House has taken a comedic aspect.

Fair. I don't think that anyone should be cheering, although I'm sure there are some that are.

Are you asking me if there may be some repercussions from withdrawing troops suddenly?
Already addressed on another thread. I would prefer a slower pullout.
It has me concerned because what happened to Obama for doing the same in Iraq may come back to haunt us in Syria. We could see a big increase in extremism rise in the region.

Now I could be wrong... perhaps the Russia! Russia! Russia! interference of a duly Elected President has stifled the ability of that President to act differently concerning Russia's influence in Syria?

Perhaps, his Power as President of the United States was limited via those Russia! Russia! Russia! attacks on him and resulted in limiting his power to deal with the adversary Putin in Syria.

Perhaps circumstances would have been different if Our President had the full Power of his Office to deal with the adversary Putin.

We will never know... If, things would have been far different in Syria today thanks to the Russia! Russia! Russia! interference used against the President in Public...

Putin isn't stupid he pays attention to our news and if anyone thinks Putin did not use this to his advantage when making decisions in Syria, imho they would be wrong.

imho Limiting the Power of Our President via Russia! Russia! Russia! helped Putin have far more Power not only in Syria but also helped increase his Power in Russia.

Thus limiting U.S. influence via Our President in Syria. Giving Putin the opportunity to impress the Syrian Leader and the Russian people with his Power over a U.S. President.

Putin didn't need any dirt, to blackmail Our President. He got all the help he needed to handcuff an American President from sources that were resisting a Duly Elected President of The U.S.

imho Roseann:)

Back
Top Bottom