• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

James Mattis steps down as secretary of defense, cites differing views with Trump

Lord have mercy on this nation. This is proving to be a train wreck unfolding in slo-mo of epic proportions. We were able to recover from the economic and geopolitical damage from W. It took us about 8 years, but it was repairable. This, I am afraid, both in terms of international reputation, credibility, and standing, as well as economically, may be some irreversible damage.

Oh well. It's a democracy and people deserve to get what they want.

More people didn't want this than did.

It's time to cut the cord over there.
We only have 2,000 troops over there so not that much of a big deal.
Mattis was very respectful when giving his resignation. I can't fault him for wanting to leave.

Then tell us what the regional repercussions are?

What is wrong with 25-39% of our countrymen?

Agreed. But 2010 was Obama and 2012 was Obama. Trump is a fool, but this mistake follows a pattern.

2010 was eight goddamn years ago. Whatever decisions Obama made on Syria, and yes, some were appallingly bad, they are nevertheless eight goddamn years ago, or six. Syria of 2012 is not the Syria of 2018 and no amount of deflection and goalpost moving can make Syria 2018 look like the Syria of six or eight years ago.

Trump's mistake isn't a pattern, it's a reckless move into uncharted territory, and I think I'll take the views of our top military experts over Jack Hays, thanks.

While this might not be a popular opinion, I support the move to pull out of Syria for reason I don't want to get lost in here.

Let's not get hysterical over Mattis leaving and assume Trump is going to bomb the world now that he's gone. He wasn't keeping Trump inline anymore than the rest of the clowns at the WH, and all you have to do is look at his interactions in Korea, Russia, and China to see the "fruits" of his labor.

What is wrong with 25-39% of our countrymen?

Ask the 53 new R Senators to be sworn in the New Year. What will they do
This Admin is falling apart, and the repercussions are coming.

I didn't think Gen. James "Chaos" Mattis could put up with Commander ChickenSpurs for very long.

But to his credit, he surprised me and suffered that fool for longer than I imagined he would.

Mattis held back on one key portion of his personal philosophy, but I suppose it might have been a rather difficult one to follow.

Wow, this is scary, the wheels are really coming off the bus and it's still doing 80MPH on a crowded highway!:roll:

And the driver keeps saying "I feel the need...the need for speed"

More people didn't want this than did.

89% of the people of a major political party wanted this. That's a lot. And they still want it. And that's pretty scary.

I thought I knew America. I feel like this is an episode of "The Twilight Zone", where they show familiar things, and then all of a sudden the familiar images turn into the negative image, with the scary music playing in the background.

I am expecting the scary music to start playing in the background any minute now...

Bring back the draft, send legions of privileged liberals (the ones who dream of working for Google) to take on jihadist movements all over the planet, and then maybe it won't seem so scary.

Like it or not, we are in play and when we leave the vacuum is filled with our foes and the corpses and remnants of those who once believed us. Your response is typical of a Trump supporter. Trump is indeed destroying the Western Alliance and whatever is left of our leadership in the world.

Pretty much dead-on:

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1075884851851616256

Julia Davis@JuliaDavisNews

The Kremlin: Get out of Syria.
Trump: OK.
The Kremlin: You've been in Afghanistan for far too long.
Trump: On our way out.
Russian state TV: Your poor Secretary of Defense is struggling to keep up.
Trump: Mattis is stepping down.

2:45 PM - 20 Dec 2018

Or it's that the situation in Syria has changed, that the Islamists aren't going to win, that the Assad government isn't going to fall, so may be it's time to pop smoke.

Can any of these people supporting us staying in Afghanistan and Syria actually defend what US interests are being protected? It really doesn't seem like anything is being looked after.

Also, I doubt that the US is leaving either nation. May be we'll have conventional ground forces leave, but we'll still have drones, air strikes, and special forces.

Ask the 53 new R Senators to be sworn in the New Year. What will they do
This Admin is falling apart, and the repercussions are coming.

Did you show this much concern when Obama had FOUR different Secretaries of Defense?
There is no proof the administration is falling apart.

Trump is inching closer and closer to impeachment. At some point even the Senate will realize that he is unstable and capable of destroying what is left of the Western Alliance. This is getting scary folks.
I don't know about removal from office.

Trump has done some despicable and truly dangerous things in office, but Republicans turn a blind eye to it all. Even the so called moderates are hostage to the 38% of this country that will stick by Trump no matter what Trump does, and they can't afford to lose that support in 2020.

Resignation seems to be moving more and more towards 50% with his mounting legal trouble though.

Or it's that the situation in Syria has changed, that the Islamists aren't going to win, that the Assad government isn't going to fall, so may be it's time to pop smoke.

Can any of these people supporting us staying in Afghanistan and Syria actually defend what US interests are being protected? It really doesn't seem like anything is being looked after.

Also, I doubt that the US is leaving either nation. May be we'll have conventional ground forces leave, but we'll still have drones, air strikes, and special forces.
Agreed.

The war on terror was lost long ago. It's time to stop spilling so much American blood for regions that will never change.

Did you show this much concern when Obama had FOUR different Secretaries of Defense?
There is no proof the administration is falling apart.

You cannot answer the question I asked. Here we go again. Tell us why a suddenly announced withdrawal from Syria will have regional repercussions.
Tell us pls. I am sure you can use Goggle.

It's time to cut the cord over there.
We only have 2,000 troops over there so not that much of a big deal.
Mattis was very respectful when giving his resignation. I can't fault him for wanting to leave.

Then tell us what the regional repercussions are?

I would like to see the golf score cards for the week-end in Mar-a-Lago.......

Agreed.

The war on terror was lost long ago. It's time to stop spilling so much American blood for regions that will never change.

I'm not opposed at all to getting out of these quagmires, but abandoning our allies and leaving Russia (surprise) in charge of Syria's fate is a pretty bitter pill to swallow. And if Trump's making these kind of decisions without consulting the Pentagon, that's ... worrisome.

another-one-gone-and-another-one-gone-another-one-bites-the-dust.jpg
Cheering and rooting for the country to fail. Nice. :roll:

Individual 1 is a disgrace....can't wait to see how the cultists spin this.

Many are defending Trump Syrian withdrawal. Going to be a long 25 months, with disasters aplenty

I'm not opposed at all to getting out of these quagmires, but abandoning our allies and leaving Russia (surprise) in charge of Syria's fate is a pretty bitter pill to swallow. And if Trump's making these kind of decisions without consulting the Pentagon, that's ... worrisome.

Russia isn't in charge of Syria's fate. The Syrian government has regularly pushed back against Russia wanting to do more than they think they should. The Syrian government and Syrians are in charge of Syria's fate.

Get tRump out of there and swear in Pence. Now.

Back
Top Bottom