• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I've gained a little more respect for Paul Krugmann...

Mensch

Mr. Professional
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Granted, I still generally disagree with his overall economic worldview. I did happen to come across some of his ideas that I do support. Though, as a social democrat, I don't see how he can stand by such viewpoints:

From WIKI:

Krugman has advocated free markets in contexts where they are often viewed as controversial. He has written against rent control in favor of supply and demand,[126] argued that "sweatshops" are preferable to unemployment,[27] challenged minimum wage and living wage laws,[127] likened the opposition against free trade and globalization to the opposition against evolution via natural selection,[128] opposed farm subsidies[129] and mandates, subsidies, and tax breaks for ethanol,[130] questioned NASA's manned space flights,[131] and written against some aspects of European labor market regulation.[132][133] He once famously quipped that, "If there were an Economist’s Creed, it would surely contain the affirmations 'I understand the Principle of Comparative Advantage' and 'I advocate Free Trade'."[134][135]

Granted, I still generally disagree with his overall economic worldview. I did happen to come across some of his ideas that I do support. Though, as a social democrat, I don't see how he can stand by such viewpoints:

From WIKI:

Krugman has advocated free markets in contexts where they are often viewed as controversial. He has written against rent control in favor of supply and demand,[126] argued that "sweatshops" are preferable to unemployment,[27] challenged minimum wage and living wage laws,[127] likened the opposition against free trade and globalization to the opposition against evolution via natural selection,[128] opposed farm subsidies[129] and mandates, subsidies, and tax breaks for ethanol,[130] questioned NASA's manned space flights,[131] and written against some aspects of European labor market regulation.[132][133] He once famously quipped that, "If there were an Economist’s Creed, it would surely contain the affirmations 'I understand the Principle of Comparative Advantage' and 'I advocate Free Trade'."[134][135]

As Mr. Miyagi said in Karate Kid II:

Mr.Miyagi said:
Never put passion before principal. Even when win, you lose.

From WIKI:

It seems that there is almost universal agreement about farm subsidies amongst economists, but they persist to this day. It's an interesting phenomenon.

It seems that there is almost universal agreement about farm subsidies amongst economists, but they persist to this day. It's an interesting phenomenon.

Farm subsidies are an entirely political and potentially security issue.

The politics of course is a simple enough issue to understand, the security not so much.

Being dependant on a foreign country for food (basic foodstuffs) can put your country at huge risk. A bad harvest in the other country might cause them to stop exporting food that your country needs to feed its people. That is why countries are willing to maintain stockpiles of wheat, rice year after year, and to ensure that at least some basic agricultural production is going on

Its a testament to the power of lobbying and corruption, I mean, campaign contributions.

Farm subsidies are an entirely political and potentially security issue.

The politics of course is a simple enough issue to understand, the security not so much.

Being dependant on a foreign country for food (basic foodstuffs) can put your country at huge risk. A bad harvest in the other country might cause them to stop exporting food that your country needs to feed its people. That is why countries are willing to maintain stockpiles of wheat, rice year after year, and to ensure that at least some basic agricultural production is going on

The political aspect of it I understand completely. The security, it's not a good argument. After all, why can't we leave investors to make stockpiles for us? We do it for all other kinds of goods, so why not food?

Back
Top Bottom