• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

It's 2013, this needs to die!

obvious Child

Equal Opportunity Hater
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
It is so they can generate more advertising revenue. Each new page is a different set of ads that get fed. Anything involving a quiz or a "list of the 20 most fascinating oddities" is nothing more than click bait.

It is so they can generate more advertising revenue. Each new page is a different set of ads that get fed. Anything involving a quiz or a "list of the 20 most fascinating oddities" is nothing more than click bait.

Exactly and it drives me crazy. The only thing worse is the inter-page ads that say you will be directed to the next page but FIRST... LOL

Pagination Must Die!

Example #1:

Things We Learned From Jobs - AskMen

Needs to die. Put it one page.

Example #2:

Could you survive a dinosaur theme park visit gone awry? Take our quiz! - Jurassic - CSMonitor.com

I bet virtually no one finishes any of the CS Monitor's quiz due to pagination.

It's 2013. Don't let your website paginate. Especially on mobile. Stuff already tends to fail to load and the more pages you spread your content over, the more likely it won't load.

The use of smaller-screen and keyboard/mouse-less items is actually why they've gone to it more and more.

I know why they do it, but it's fricken' irritating to the point I (and likely many others) simply don't go to those webpages, or quickly close a paginated monstrosity.

What use is advertising when users don't stay around for more than a few seconds? In a sense, the advertisers are wasting money on users who don't click on their ads.

The use of smaller-screen and keyboard/mouse-less items is actually why they've gone to it more and more.

But that doesn't mean they can't just use a Google Currents type of viewing. Putting content on multiple pages is normal for small screens, but that doesn't mean you have to require clicking links to get to the next page. Whenever I get redirected to a CS Monitor Quiz, I just close the page because it's incredibly annoying as a viewer to see 120 pages of quizzes when they could do it as one.

I know why they do it, but it's fricken' irritating to the point I (and likely many others) simply don't go to those webpages, or quickly close a paginated monstrosity.

What use is advertising when users don't stay around for more than a few seconds? In a sense, the advertisers are wasting money on users who don't click on their ads.

Not necessarily. I read a little tidbit about facebook once. Apparently a lot of their advertisers do not require that you actually click on the ads for them to get paid. Some of it is building brand awareness so they just need to put the ad in front of the right demographics whether or not you click on it or buy anything. Of course, google is a little more insidious with their stuff by which you are paying to be the highest man on the totem pole during searches for certain things so that sort of makes sense in addition to the advertising. A few years ago the latter tried to sell me on a deal where if I paid them X dollars a month, it would guarantee that mine was the first name and number that would appear when people searched for lawyers in my area, for instance.

But that doesn't mean they can't just use a Google Currents type of viewing. Putting content on multiple pages is normal for small screens, but that doesn't mean you have to require clicking links to get to the next page. Whenever I get redirected to a CS Monitor Quiz, I just close the page because it's incredibly annoying as a viewer to see 120 pages of quizzes when they could do it as one.

I guess it irritates me to because i treat it like a popup - and just leave. LOL

Not necessarily. I read a little tidbit about facebook once. Apparently a lot of their advertisers do not require that you actually click on the ads for them to get paid. Some of it is building brand awareness so they just need to put the ad in front of the right demographics whether or not you click on it or buy anything.

But if a viewer doesn't stick around to see the ad, what's the point in the ad?

Of course, google is a little more insidious with their stuff by which you are paying to be the highest man on the totem pole during searches for certain things so that sort of makes sense in addition to the advertising. A few years ago the latter tried to sell me on a deal where if I paid them X dollars a month, it would guarantee that mine was the first name and number that would appear when people searched for lawyers in my area, for instance.

You sure it wasn't an ad for the side bar on the search as those are directly for sale? I thought Google's main returns were algorithmic based on how many people linked or discussed that particular result. Hence why it's possible to Google Bomb someone like Rick Santorum.

But if a viewer doesn't stick around to see the ad, what's the point in the ad?

You sure it wasn't an ad for the side bar on the search as those are directly for sale? I thought Google's main returns were algorithmic based on how many people linked or discussed that particular result. Hence why it's possible to Google Bomb someone like Rick Santorum.

They have lots of different options. They were very clear I would be paying for preferential position in search returns.

Back
Top Bottom