• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

It is Well, With my Soul

Goshin

Burned Out Ex-Mod
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
As many Southern Baptist churches of the time did, the one I grew up in typically sang the first and last verse of most hymns. I probably know 100 hymns by heart... but not the middle verses.
Until tonight, I'd never actually examined the words of the third verse of It Is Well With My Soul.... but now I have, and it blessed me greatly, so I will share it:

My sin, not in part, but the whole,
Is nailed to His Cross, and I bear it no more;
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

..."and I bear it no more"...ain't that great? Made me about jump up and run the aisles like a Pentecostal.
🙂

As many Southern Baptist churches of the time did, the one I grew up in typically sang the first and last verse of most hymns. I probably know 100 hymns by heart... but not the middle verses.
Until tonight, I'd never actually examined the words of the third verse of It Is Well With My Soul.... but now I have, and it blessed me greatly, so I will share it:

..."and I bear it no more"...ain't that great? Made me about jump up and run the aisles like a Pentecostal.
🙂
Amen! 👍

🙂
Ever heard of a "pyonder?"

I love the old hymns. One of my favorites has always been:
When the trumpet of the Lord shall sound, and time shall be no more,​
And the morning breaks, eternal, bright and fair;​
When the saved of earth shall gather over on the other shore,​
And the roll is called a pyonder, I’ll be there.​

Song I learned as a kid and that silliness has stuck with me ever since. :)

🙂
Sounds like a dangerous concept. Absolution from birth? How far does that go?
See, my understanding is that Christ redeemed mankind for the Original Sin in the Garden of Eden, not that He redeemed every sin commited by everyone.
But this is coming from someone who long ago decided he couldn't be a Christian because he can't accept the doctrine of original sin.

🙂
Makes my heart jump every time I'm reminded of it. So very thankful for what He did for my sake.

See, my understanding is that Christ redeemed mankind for the Original Sin in the Garden of Eden, not that He redeemed every sin commited by everyone.
But this is coming from someone who long ago decided he couldn't be a Christian because he can't accept the doctrine of original sin.

you can become a christian, the door is open to all.

God is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

fix that now, rather than judgement later.

blessings eternally.

you can become a christian, the door is open to all.

God is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

fix that now, rather than judgement later.

blessings eternally.
Do you believe that Jesus redeems humanity for the original sin in the Garden of Eden? That's what Christ the Redeemer means, way I was taught. If you don't believe there was an original sin that we are all guilty of you can't believe that we need redemption.
If you believe Christ on the cross redeemed your personal sins, well, sin has no consequences if you're a Christian.

Do you believe that Jesus redeems humanity for the original sin in the Garden of Eden? That's what Christ the Redeemer means, way I was taught. If you don't believe there was an original sin that we are all guilty of you can't believe that we need redemption.
If you believe Christ on the cross redeemed your personal sins, well, sin has no consequences if you're a Christian.
It’s a metaphor. If you don’t take it literally, and understand the metaphor it will save you. Not after you die, but right now.

It’s a metaphor. If you don’t take it literally, and understand the metaphor it will save you. Not after you die, but right now.
What's a metaphor? Original sin?

What's a metaphor? Original sin?
Christ on the cross saving you. Genesis is also full of metaphors but the church got most of them wrong and invented original sin out of ignorance and for political control.

I love the old hymns. One of my favorites has always been:
When the trumpet of the Lord shall sound, and time shall be no more,​
And the morning breaks, eternal, bright and fair;​
When the saved of earth shall gather over on the other shore,​
And the roll is called a pyonder, I’ll be there.​

Song I learned as a kid and that silliness has stuck with me ever since. :)

Yeah I thought that was what you meant. :LOL:

I think you need only read the news to find plentiful evidence of humanity's sinful nature.

And yes, when a Christian sins there are consequences. All actions, good or ill, have consequences. "Not perfect, just forgiven."

Romans 6 (excerpted for brevity)
What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
... that henceforth we should not serve sin.

Christ's sacrifice redeemed mankind from both original and personal sin, but that sacrifice is efficacious only for those who accept it and (in the case of personal sins) repent. One cannot willfully and gravely sin while at the same time following Christ:
1 John 2:4 said:
He who saith that he knoweth Him, and keepeth not His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

I think you need only read the news to find plentiful evidence of humanity's sinful nature.

And yes, when a Christian sins there are consequences. All actions, good or ill, have consequences. "Not perfect, just forgiven."

Romans 6 (excerpted for brevity)
What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
... that henceforth we should not serve sin.

amen.

the best book on this subject was suggested to me by an Arminian type of church. holiness is not optional in christianity; we must walk the narrow way. the broad way leads to destruction

available still on amazon...

life in the Son.jpg

Christ's sacrifice redeemed mankind from both original and personal sin, but that sacrifice is efficacious only for those who accept it and (in the case of personal sins) repent. One cannot willfully and gravely sin while at the same time following Christ:

repentance and confession are daily activities.

narrow vs broad way friends. see life in the son above, seminary level but helps settle the question.

All "original sin" refers to is the inherited corruption of human nature, a consequence of Adam's sin which all of humanity, being ultimately descended from Adam, has inherited from him

All anyone needs do is examine their own selves to readily see where we've inherited that sinful nature - be it in our greed, lust, hatred and anger, envy, pride, sensuality, jealousy, drunkenness, etc. (Gal 5:19). We are demonstrably imperfect beings.

The bible affirms it as well in numerous places: PS 51:5 ("Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin my mother conceived me."), Gen 8:21 ("the intent of man’s heart is evil from his youth..."), Eph 2:1 ("And you were dead in your trespasses and sins, in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world...").

Question is - when is this sin of ours imputed to us? When are we actually deemed guilty of it? The instant we exited the womb? Some define this as "original sin" - believing the instant we exit the womb we're damned to hell, merely because we have inherited Adam's sinful nature (which we have), yet BEFORE we've ever actually committed any sins. I don't believe the bible teaches this - I mean, what sins can a newborn commit that rightfully eternally condemns him? It's a fair question.

Back to Genesis 8:21 - what defines "youth?" Isaiah made this statement about the child Immanuel (Jesus):

"He will eat curds and honey at the time He knows enough to refuse evil and choose good. For before the boy will know enough to refuse evil and choose good, the land whose two kings you dread will be forsaken." (Isa 7:15f)​
While there is no explicit age defined here, clearly the concept is articulated - that at some point we reach an age where we will know there is a difference between right and wrong and what that difference is. Moreover, at some point after this, because of our inherited adamic nature, we will make the choice to knowingly do wrong; and it's at this point we're held accountable for our sin. But there's nothing in the bible that stipulates at what age this occurs, so it's pointless to be dogmatic about it.

David, after committing adultery with Bathsheba, fasted and wept for the child she bore by him, praying he wouldn't die. But when he did die, David quit praying and fasting and was challenged as to why. He simply stated:

While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept; for I said, ‘Who knows, the Lord may be gracious to me, that the child may live.’ But now he has died; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me.” (2 Sam 12:22f)​

The child had done nothing wrong, but died anyway, and David, knowing the child's death was a consequence of his sin, not the child's, was nevertheless convinced he would go [to heaven] to the child.

Again, there's no solid warrant for being dogmatic about this, but I believe the bible DOES acknowledge grace to those [newborns and beyond] who have yet to reach that age where they know the difference between right and wrong, and grants them according to His grace forgiveness for when they ignorantly do wrong.

Faith/belief is fundamentally the readiness to obey, to obey on the basis of knowing who God is and who we are in relation to Him. We aren't mature enough to know this having just exited the womb; and it takes time for a child to mature to the point they know the distinction and can make an informed decision to obey or not to obey. I firmly believe God's forgiveness covers us until we reach that point in time. After that, we need to seek Him of our own accord for His forgiveness, being willing to confess our sins, acknowledge His sacrifice on the cross for us, and obey Him. (Heb 3:16-19)

All "original sin" refers to is the inherited corruption of human nature, a consequence of Adam's sin which all of humanity, being ultimately descended from Adam, has inherited from him

All anyone needs do is examine their own selves to readily see where we've inherited that sinful nature - be it in our greed, lust, hatred and anger, envy, pride, sensuality, jealousy, drunkenness, etc. (Gal 5:19). We are demonstrably imperfect beings.

The bible affirms it as well in numerous places: PS 51:5 ("Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin my mother conceived me."), Gen 8:21 ("the intent of man’s heart is evil from his youth..."), Eph 2:1 ("And you were dead in your trespasses and sins, in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world...").

Question is - when is this sin of ours imputed to us? When are we actually deemed guilty of it? The instant we exited the womb? Some define this as "original sin" - believing the instant we exit the womb we're damned to hell, merely because we have inherited Adam's sinful nature (which we have), yet BEFORE we've ever actually committed any sins. I don't believe the bible teaches this - I mean, what sins can a newborn commit that rightfully eternally condemns him? It's a fair question.

Back to Genesis 8:21 - what defines "youth?" Isaiah made this statement about the child Immanuel (Jesus):

"He will eat curds and honey at the time He knows enough to refuse evil and choose good. For before the boy will know enough to refuse evil and choose good, the land whose two kings you dread will be forsaken." (Isa 7:15f)​
While there is no explicit age defined here, clearly the concept is articulated - that at some point we reach an age where we will know there is a difference between right and wrong and what that difference is. Moreover, at some point after this, because of our inherited adamic nature, we will make the choice to knowingly do wrong; and it's at this point we're held accountable for our sin. But there's nothing in the bible that stipulates at what age this occurs, so it's pointless to be dogmatic about it.

David, after committing adultery with Bathsheba, fasted and wept for the child she bore by him, praying he wouldn't die. But when he did die, David quit praying and fasting and was challenged as to why. He simply stated:

While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept; for I said, ‘Who knows, the Lord may be gracious to me, that the child may live.’ But now he has died; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me.” (2 Sam 12:22f)​

The child had done nothing wrong, but died anyway, and David, knowing the child's death was a consequence of his sin, not the child's, was nevertheless convinced he would go [to heaven] to the child.

Again, there's no solid warrant for being dogmatic about this, but I believe the bible DOES acknowledge grace to those [newborns and beyond] who have yet to reach that age where they know the difference between right and wrong, and grants them according to His grace forgiveness for when they ignorantly do wrong.

Faith/belief is fundamentally the readiness to obey, to obey on the basis of knowing who God is and who we are in relation to Him. We aren't mature enough to know this having just exited the womb; and it takes time for a child to mature to the point they know the distinction and can make an informed decision to obey or not to obey. I firmly believe God's forgiveness covers us until we reach that point in time. After that, we need to seek Him of our own accord for His forgiveness, being willing to confess our sins, acknowledge His sacrifice on the cross for us, and obey Him. (Heb 3:16-19)

Well said, bravo.

Galatians says "Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:”

It's a done deal when you personally accept it through what is said in Romans:

4"For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth. 5For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them. 6But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:) 7Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.) 8But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; 9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Note the times it connects salvation to belief. If a person doesn't believe they remain dead spiritually.

Back
Top Bottom