- Apr 13, 2011
- Reaction score
- Political Leaning
Palestinian officials suspended planned peace talks after Israeli forces killed three people in a dawn raid Monday in the Qalandiya refugee camp outside of Ramallah, potentially dealing a new blow to the U.S.-led peace effort that resumed late last month. But U.S. officials insisted that negotiations had not been suspended.The United Nations Relief and Works Agency later said one of those killed, a 34-year-old father of four, was an employee who had been walking to work when he was shot in the chest. The agency condemned the killing.
Later Monday, the State Department discounted claims that Palestinian officials had suspended talks, saying both sides were still engaged in "serious and sustained" negotiations, Reuters reported.
The future of the talks had previously been questioned by Palestinian officials after Israel announced the building of new settlements on occupied territory at the start of the latest round of negotiations.
Israeli forces had entered the area looking for a suspect when hundreds of Palestinians poured into the streets and hurled firebombs, concrete blocks and rocks at them, according to Israeli border police spokesman Shai Hakimi.
Hakimi said officers used riot-control munitions, a term that usually refers to rubber bullets and tear gas, adding that police are investigating the incident.
An official at a hospital in Ramallah said, however, that the three victims had died from gunshot wounds
Read more @: Israeli raid in West Bank kills 3 | Al Jazeera America
And boom goes the dynamite. Another strain to peace talks after Israel killed 3... Damnit.