• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Israel admits Gaza flotilla raid 'mistakes'

Why the surprise?
It was stated from the beginning that there were crucial mistakes, Israelis in general were furious at the fact that the IDF has sent the soldiers equipped with paintball guns into a war zone, and that its intelligence has failed to alert the navy that the soldiers will be meeting heavy resistance.
However as the internal investigation finds the soldiers are not to blame for the violence, the activists were planning this violence and have initiated it, the soldiers may have been unprepared and didn't know about the intentions of the activists, but they've acted professionally and have shown amazing restraint.

For those interested in more details about the internal investigation's results:
Eiland report finds 'mistakes, but no failures' - Israel News, Ynetnews

How weird is that, the inquiry is finished and yet only today the courts decided to broaden it's scope.
Wow, alexa, you should really consider reading the articles you're replying to.
I'm not saying this because I want to provoke you or anything, whether you believe this or not, but simply because you've completely misunderstood what this article is about.

After the raid on the flotilla, before the Israeli government has decided to launch the Turkle inquiry, the IDF has decided to launch its own inquiry, with no regard to whether or not the Israeli government will launch its own inquiry, to find out what went wrong from the military perspective and improve itself.
So it has given the task to retired general Giora Eiland, and he has led the inquiry into the gathering of the intelligence, the decision making by navy and army officials, and the raid itself.
This investigation by the army has now ended and the OP's article is about its results, not the results of the Turkle inquiry as you've assumed.

The IDF has a reputation as a body that continuously and constantly investigates itself openly and publicly, to improve its effectiveness in the future.

How weird is that, the inquiry is finished and yet only today the courts decided to broaden it's scope.

Alexa,

The inquiry that was completed today was the IDF inquiry led by Major General Eiland. That dealt largely with military issues. The inquiry to which Israel's High Court had referred is a separate one, led by Supreme Court Justice Jacob Turkel. That commission will deal with broader matters, including issues of international law.

More succinctly, this is a formal After Action Report where a military engages in self-critique. Most Western militaries do this beginning with the platoon level, and it broadens and advances upward as introspection and severity demand.

Far better than the "guns blazing lets shoot up some activits with wooden rods" approach that they took. So yeah, i agree, what suprise?

color me surprised [/s]
the IDF absolved itself

The only mistake Israel made was sending soldiers aboard in the first place & not just using a torpedo.

To paraphrase: "I would have to say my biggest fault is that I'm just too good of a person."

I must say Israeli whitewashing is always good for a laugh.

Whats even more amusing is reading posts from people that will constantly make excuses for terrorists..... and while I can get a good chuckle from that now & then it also demonstates just how sick & twisted some people are with there logic these days.

Moderator's Warning:
I suggest people make themselves aware of the Martial Law rules stickied at the top of this forum. Some are dangerously close to suggesting others are terrorist apologizers

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…