• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is True Altruism Possible?

Is it possible for an individual to perform a truly selfless act?

No, but it might be perceived by others as selfless when others who are not the primary beneficiaries nonetheless find it pleasing or heartwarming.

Or is this behavior always motivated by egocentric reasoning, like appearing generous to others or pursuing the good feeling one gets from helping others?

That's pretty much it. We can't get outside of our own brains and desires.

Psychological egoism. Google it.

In action or in motivation?

Because you can prove an action. You can't always prove a motivation but sometimes you have good indicators.

Just perusing this thread, it looks like any supposedly altruistic act can be construed to have, somehow, a selfish motivation, even if it's just the warm, fuzzy feeling one gets from having done his daily good deed. Christopher Hitchens will tell you that Mother Theresa was a self-serving glory grabber.

Of course. Why would anyone want to doubt that?
Empathy is a natural part of human (and not only human) nature. We have evolved as social beings.

One can say, perhaps, that the "good feeling" resulting from a "selfless act" makes it "rewarded", and as such not quite "selfless", but as far as I am concerned, that's just idle talk. Silly-semantics territory.

Just perusing this thread, it looks like any supposedly altruistic act can be construed to have, somehow, a selfish motivation, even if it's just the warm, fuzzy feeling one gets from having done his daily good deed. Christopher Hitchens will tell you that Mother Theresa was a self-serving glory grabber.

But what about those who gain nothing from it?

What if that good feeling we get is only something that follows the deed, but that it isn't a required consequence that has to follow the deed, in order for us to do the deed. Some people gain nothing from it. Some have actually went out of their way to do good things and felt annoyed by it. Does that make it less altruistic?

Or is this behavior always motivated by egocentric reasoning, like appearing generous to others or pursuing the good feeling one gets from helping others?

So have you recently read Morris's The Naked Ape? Just curious about what inspired this thread.

If the act makes one feel good, it's not purely selfless.

But what about those who gain nothing from it?

What if that good feeling we get is only something that follows the deed, but that it isn't a required consequence that has to follow the deed, in order for us to do the deed. Some people gain nothing from it. Some have actually went out of their way to do good things and felt annoyed by it. Does that make it less altruistic?

No, it doesn't. Altruism is like good- it exists as sure as evil does. Just, I can't prove it.

It makes sense to do good on so many levels it would be difficult now to separate motivation from potential benefits. It normally makes more sense and provides more benefits for society if you do good, than do bad.

Do good where you can...is how I was raised and I have done good with no prospect of a return and even to people who would do bad to me. I know from experience, many US folk might view that as stupid. I couldn't care less. It's my ethic. What reason is there to not do good where you can? And how are the evil doofers ever to see there's a better way, if you don't do good to them at some point :lol:

I have to say, there are perhaps no direct returns on doing good altruistically, but sometimes there are personal results. My current job involves the daily doing of good to all manner of people who are under pressure and seem to leave their brains at the door as a result. A by product of doing good is higher levels of good feeling and job satisfaction than before, regardless of the job being one people don't traditionally associate with popularity.

It is hard to live a life of absolute altruism, but selfless acts occur all the time and there is no expectation of reward, including "self-joy." One personal anecdote?

Shortly after I left the Army I was in an Arby's in Los Angeles. While I was eating I noticed a group of three women and a boy about 5 years old sitting at a table nearby. The thing that caught my attention was the boy stuffing an entire hotdog, bun and all, into his mouth without biting or chewing. The women were busy chattering away and the boy was completely ignored.

I thought to myself, "this kid is going to choke" and as I finished the thought thats exactly what happened. The women looked at him and cried for help but I was already moving and picked the kid up, pulled what was sticking out from his mouth and began the children's heimlich maneuver. A waitress came over and as I pushed he coughed out the obstruction and she took it from his mouth. The ladies swarmed the waitress thanking her for saving their child, while I checked to make sure the airway was completely cleared.

Then I went and sat back down at my seat. While the women were still thanking the waitress, the little boy came over and put his hand on my knee and smiled until he was called back a second later by the women. That was all I cared about. :)

To some degree, yes.

Egoism and psychology says no. there will always be internal egotistical reasons for any acts whether conscious or unconscious.

No, it doesn't. Altruism is like good- it exists as sure as evil does. Just, I can't prove it.
Assuming you mean you can't evidence it (proof isn't required, it's too high a standard, it's reserved for abstracts like mathematics where you can define the system...reality doesn't care if we defined it or not!)

Then your belief is religious. This is the philosophy forum...you know, love of KNOWLEDGE. If it's un-evidenced, it's not reasonably knowledge, and has no place on this thread...if we were as rigorous about defending anti-philosophy in the philosophy forum as we were defending anti-religion in the religion forum of course..

I'll tell you candidly Grand Mal, understanding these things is necessary to do real good. To be able to differentiate good from bad, is only going to rationally come from understanding. If you just hand-waive it and claim you "know it when you see it", you're not the avatar of Good that you may think you are.

Back
Top Bottom