• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is This An Acceptable Way Of Protesting

Bullshit, they should be given medals.

That one guy dragging the female protestor by the hair after she moved back into the road a second time reminds me of.....me. ;)

I would never run over protestors unless I felt an imminent lethal threat by them as we have seen in some of these types of incidents. Thinking here of the truck driver Reginald Denny severely beaten by rioters during the Los Angeles Rodney King riots. But blocking another person from their rightful an legal ability to move or travel is in fact an act of force by a protestor. Therefore, I see no problem with any citizen using reasonable force to MOVE a person who is intentionally denying that person free movement.

It pleased me how he dragged them like a sack of potatoes LOL.

Here is one of my favorite similar videos. Blocking the free movement of other citizens is NOT a peaceful protest.

Internet tough guy

Reactions: JMR

Do you think blocking traffic is an acceptable way of protesting something?

Yes. Protesting is meant to drive a point, and inconveniencing people makes them think about the topic, attracts media attention and shows the willingness of the protestors to go to jail for their position. Civil disobedience is not a Constitutionally protected right.

The drivers? That's clearly assault (minus some potential defense claims).

Internet tough guy
So, you are defending the entitled protestors who blocked the road?

Who exactly do these road blocking idiots believe they are influencing when they do this crap, other than themselves? Making everyone else against your cause is NOT a sound tactic. Off to the side with their signs, no problem. Block someone's right to move and then we have a problem.

Check out this one:

Woman named "Summer Taylor" (woman in photo with the pink hair) who prefers the pronoun 'they/them' and who worked at a veterinary clinic in Seattle was killed while she was singing and dancing in the middle of a highway at night during a BLM protest.

Who didn't see that one coming? I guess she never believed in the laws of Mr Darwin or Mr Newton? She learned the hard way.

Yes. Protesting is meant to drive a point, and inconveniencing people makes them think about the topic, attracts media attention and shows the willingness of the protestors to go to jail for their position. Civil disobedience is not a Constitutionally protected right.

I would disagree. Inconveniencing people makes people think that they are being inconvenienced.

So, you are defending the entitled protestors who blocked the road?

Who exactly do these road blocking idiots believe they are influencing when they do this crap, other than themselves? Making everyone else against your cause is NOT a sound tactic. Off to the side with their signs, no problem. Block someone's right to move and then we have a problem.

Check out this one:

Woman named "Summer Taylor" (woman in photo with the pink hair) who prefers the pronoun 'they/them' and who worked at a veterinary clinic in Seattle was killed while she was singing and dancing in the middle of a highway at night during a BLM protest.

Who didn't see that one coming? I guess she never believed in the laws of Mr Darwin or Mr Newton? She learned the hard way.

No I am laughing at you for your tough guy stance.

It’s real 14 year old level edgy. What’s next all black clothes?

I have no problems with protesting as long as it does not interfere with third party lives. These protesters are holding up people's lives that have nothing to do with what they are protesting about. Blocking traffic is not the way to go.

I would have pulled them out of the way too, especially if they were keeping me from my family.

Now, let's see if you have grown a pair or are you a coward and won't answer the OP.

I'll even space out the words for you so you can read more clearly.

Is... blocking... traffic... an... acceptable... form... of... protesting... something?
I think it's less acceptable than taking a knee during the anthem. I think physically moving a protester is not a sign of strength.

Yes. Protesting is meant to drive a point, and inconveniencing people makes them think about the topic,
No, it pisses them off and makes them against your cause, and in many cases results in violence and death. Nobody has a right to block a person from freely moving on public roads or streets. Even union picket lines are required by law to allow others to pass through if they wish to, otherwise the people striking are violating the law.

The sheer idiocy of a bunch raving lunatics surrounding people's cars may only cause that driver sufficient fear to feel the need to act in their own defense and then possibly use their car as a defensive weapon in order to escape. Other drivers may simply just react in anger, and that is another possibility after these protestors are breaching the public peace.

Protesting is a first amendment right, but it isn't without limits. Only a person with entitled peronality of a two year old would presume it okay to block another citizen lawfully trying to go from point A to point B.

attracts media attention and shows the willingness of the protestors to go to jail for their position.
or to the hospital, or to the morgue. Something they must be willing to accept as well... for their "cause", right?

Civil disobedience is not a Constitutionally protected right.
Nothing wrong with civil disobedience when it may be directed at the government, as long as it is non violent. However, when using FORCE, fear, and intimidation against other citizens, like blocking the public roads, I suggest that that is not non-violent. Force and fear, especially in these instances where a driver cannot turn out, or turn around, is extremely out of bounds.

I say it is not. It is not because on that one way road without a turn out, it left the drivers without any option to avoid the protestors, basically illegally holding those drivers captive. Some which may have medical conditions, others who may need to get someplace to care for others, some maybe even with an emergency.

What I saw were some people using reasonable force in order to free themselves and others from an unlawful detainment by the protestors.

No I am laughing at you for your tough guy stance.

It’s real 14 year old level edgy. What’s next all black clothes?
I'm not being edgy. You can do whatever you choose to do. And what I am suggesting is that anybody tries to block or intimidate me no matter what their silly cause may be, might just wonder if a ton of bricks had fallen on them. That has happened to a few in the past. ;)

What is about liberals and them not wanting to accept no for an answer? Too many trophies for losing I suspect is behind it.

I'm not being edgy. You can do whatever you choose to do. And what I am suggesting is that anybody tries to block or intimidate me no matter what their silly cause may be, might just wonder if a ton of bricks had fallen on them. That has happened to a few in the past. ;)

What is about liberals and them not wanting to accept no for an answer? Too many trophies for losing I suspect is behind it.
Do you also talk back to your mom and post salty memes on discord?

Do you also talk back to your mom and post salty memes on discord?

Sorry, but you are going to need to translate that last comment into plain English if you wish me to respond.

Acceptable. :unsure:

Seems like only yesterday the cult (republicans) officials were ecstatic about "truckers" blocking trade routes between Canada, Mexico and the USA........

Abbott "...financial pain is necessary to get the public to insist that their government leaders such as the presidents of the two countries involved to the take the action that is needed to solve this problem...."

Paul "... clog things up, make people think..."

.....Funny how they're all for stopping things when they don't get their way........

1000w

....Its almost if they (officially) want to cause pain to anyone who tries to stop them or something.....

"....you'll never take back our country with weakness you have to show strength and you have to be strong...."

37721590-9139059-Vice_President_Pence_was_quick_to_denounce_the_mob_that_ransacke-a-83_1610480144025.jpg

....They'll say that violence isn't the answer, but they'll happily run you over with their truck if you're blocking the road.

🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Sorry, but you are going to need to translate that last comment into plain English if you wish me to respond.
It’s ok. I will let you have your excuse to run away.

Hey, do all you commies still have your vagina hats? Get ‘em out! You might make the local news! :LOL:

It’s weird how the old dudes who think homosexuality is bad also think vaginas are the worst thing in the universe.

Your question is meaningless. the answer doesn't matter.
Wrong. To YOU it is meaningless. To others it is not. YOU are not the country's bar as to what is meaningless and what is not...

...coward.

Wrong. To YOU it is meaningless. To others it is not. YOU are not the country's bar as to what is meaningless and what is not...

...coward.
To the law it is meaningless.

The constitution says it's fine, so I have no issue with it.

Think. If a protest is just background noise nobody will notice. Do you think that's what the founding fathers had in mind? You conservatives think they wanted you to carry guns to overthrow the government, do you think they would have balked at blocking traffic?

Your question is meaningless, this whole thread is meaningless. It's blatantly obvious that you haven't a clue what the first amendment even means, much less what it's for.

Now go read up on it and stop pestering me with this useless drivel.

It’s weird how the old dudes who think homosexuality is bad also think vaginas are the worst thing in the universe.
They seem to think sex in general is bad and dirty. It's a wonder they aren't extinct.

Blocking traffic in unlawful protest is wrong. You are "arresting" hundreds or thousands of people illegally... preventing them from getting where they are going, and creating a traffic jam in which they are unable to leave, blocked in by other cars. What about emergency vehicles? People traveling to the hospital or doctors office for an important or vital purpose? Parents picking up children?

Nor does it win you any friends; the people you block are going to be furious with you.

It is also a threat. These kinds of protests are often accompanied by people surrounding a car, beating on it, threatening occupants.

Do you think blocking traffic is an acceptable way of protesting something?

No, it’s worthless. The people that you are blocking aren’t in a position to do anything about what you are protesting. It also has the potential to be counterproductive. If it’s a cause you feel neutral about perhaps you’ll vote against it in the next election.

Back
Top Bottom