• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the government really that intrusive?

LMAO! Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Much appreciated.
But it's ok... I like writing incorrectly.

It's my way of sayin' I'm stupid. :golf

m'kay. Well, it says if you're wrong, let you know why. Sorta.

Many types of regulation is useful, like the FDA keeping poison and filth out of your food and medicine.

Yea, without the FDA bakers would have no reason to sell safe tasty products to their customers.:roll:

Bakers turn criminal
Too much government intrusion? You betcha!
Come and Bake It - Page 1 - Dining - Houston - Houston Press

Robin Goode is a pirate cupcake baker.

When she needs to bake a wedding cake, she rents a commercial kitchen, but sometimes she also bakes cupcakes for people with food allergies out of her home kitchen. "I am always worried I am going to get busted by the health department
There is less chance of cross contamination in her own kitchen so she bakes somethings there for food safety reasons.

Erin Flynn is a pirate cake baker in the White Rock neighborhood of Dallas. "I bake birthday cakes a couple of times a month for friends," Flynn (not her real name) said. "I sell a big cake for 20 people for $60."
Just a lady who wanting to give friends a good deal and make a little extra cash.
Laws forbidding home cooks to contribute to bake sales or sell a few tea cakes to friends were seldom enforced in Texas — until recently.
No bake sales as fund raisers anymore.:(

Callye Alvarado, a young housewife who has won national acclaim for her amazingly decorated sugar cookies (see sweetsugarbelle.blogspot.com), was surprised when Zachary Holbrooks of the South Plains Health Department knocked on her door in the small town of Seminole (between Lubbock and Odessa) last summer and told her to stop selling cookies. "
She doesn't want to own a business. She wants to stay home with her kids.
Guess she can go on goverment assistance if need be.

Bake sales and homemade tamales are only two of a long list of beloved Texas food traditions that health authorities are stamping out. Your tax dollars are also helping eradicate the dewberry jam, mayhaw and muscadine jellies, and other preserves that were once sold at farm stands. To the disappointment of many budding local food entrepreneurs, homemade food products may not be sold at farmers' markets either.
This just sucks.:(
And people wonder why we want a smaller government. It get's more ridiculous every day.

I think it depends on what one considers an intrusion. Generally, people won't consider an interaction with government an intrusion unless it bothers them or annoys them for some reason.

Its like advice from a friend. A friend can offer advice, but unless the advice annoys you, you will probably welcome it or not care about it. In neither case is there any perceived harm.

Had to smile at the thought of considering the goverment as a friend, but here goes.
If the government wants to give me advice like "you should recycle," "smoking is bad for you" or " too much salt isn't good" I could handle it and might even listen. Many things the government mandates, should be voluntary. If they are truly things for our benefit, why wouldn't we at least make an effort to do them? I'm an adult and I want to make my own decisions, good or bad.

Had to smile at the thought of considering the goverment as a friend, but here goes.
If the government wants to give me advice like "you should recycle," "smoking is bad for you" or " too much salt isn't good" I could handle it and might even listen. Many things the government mandates, should be voluntary. If they are truly things for our benefit, why wouldn't we at least make an effort to do them? I'm an adult and I want to make my own decisions, good or bad.

Why do most factories have safety managers who have to remind people to be safe over and over again? One would think that people would do what is in their best interest, yet this profession exists for the simple fact that people do not always do what is in their best interest.

You asked a question, I answered it. I'm terribly sorry if my response in some way disturbed you.

I didn't understand the point that you were making, if any.

Why do most factories have safety managers who have to remind people to be safe over and over again? One would think that people would do what is in their best interest, yet this profession exists for the simple fact that people do not always do what is in their best interest.

Endogenous controls of the market are fine. It's exogenous controls that many people take issue with.

I hear people complaining about this left and right (literally and figuratively), that the government is sooooo intrusive and people cant wait to trot out some 1984 references whenever something doesn't go their way.

I was thinking about it the other day. I have probably a lot more interaction with the government than a lot of people. My fiancée and I are receiving food stamps, and as such we have to fill out a quarterly report every 3 months that details what we made and where we made it. We had to disclose our financial information when we signed up....but other than that, we have little to no contact with state or federal agencies. We pay our taxes and various small fees for service, but other than that, I'd say we get left alone.

So what is the grounding of the complaints that the government is so intrusive?

Because this way of thinking is soooooooooooo dangerous. One should always strive to improve there personal liberty, that's what government is for in the first place anyway- to protect your liberty(right to do whatever the f you want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone/thing/idea).

Next time when you are 'thinking', try to realize how much the government really does control your life even in the way you think about thinking about the government haha. What are you as an individual in the government? nothing but a statistic that can be improved with laws and regulation. The government shouldn't 'fix' you, YOU should.

sorry i got a little sidetracked lol

I hear people complaining about this left and right (literally and figuratively), that the government is sooooo intrusive and people cant wait to trot out some 1984 references whenever something doesn't go their way.

I was thinking about it the other day. I have probably a lot more interaction with the government than a lot of people. My fiancée and I are receiving food stamps, and as such we have to fill out a quarterly report every 3 months that details what we made and where we made it. We had to disclose our financial information when we signed up....but other than that, we have little to no contact with state or federal agencies. We pay our taxes and various small fees for service, but other than that, I'd say we get left alone.

So what is the grounding of the complaints that the government is so intrusive?

Seriously, did you post this from a public library?

Yeah, I was just thinking the other day how non-intrusive our government is, as I drove down the Interstate and passed a government camera on a tall metal post every mile or so.

I congratulated myself on how free we are from government intrusion as I drove through an intersection with cameras standing up from the stop-light poles, and pulled into the county offices to try to obtain a building permit for a storage shed in my own back yard. That's assuming the government doesn't classify my property as a "protected wetland" because I have a fishpond, and forbid all "Development" on my property that I own.

Tonight I get to do my taxes, and itemize all my finanical transactions for the Fedgov to peruse. I have no fear that there might be a warrantless wiretap on my phone, since our gov doesn't do such things.

Then I get to sort my trash into various recycling categories, as mandated by the government... tomorrow I'll call the EPA about that migratory bird nest in the tree I need to cut down before it falls on my house... I sure hope they'll let me cut that thing, it could take out most of my roof the next time the wind gets bad.

I found some hawk feathers in my yard yesterday, don't know where they came from. I'm debating what to do with them. If I'm found with them in my possession, I could be charged with a felony... I'm tempted to go bury them somewhere after dark, but maybe I should call the EPA and ask their advice.

Next week I have to travel to North Carolina. While I'm in SC I have to keep my handgun in my glovebox to be legal... but I have to remember the instant that I cross the state line into NC, I have to get my handgun out of the glovebox and lay it up on the dashboard in plain sight, if I want to stay legal in NC. :roll:

Nah, government isn't intrusive or unreasonable. ;)

And just imagine all the things you CAN'T do with your land.

Many things the government mandates, should be voluntary. If they are truly things for our benefit, why wouldn't we at least make an effort to do them? I'm an adult and I want to make my own decisions, good or bad.

The government mandates these things because sometimes your bad decisions affect other people. On the extreme side, drunk driving could kill other people, so the government forces you to drive while you're sober. On a more moderate side, secondhand smoke can be harmful-so if you choose to smoke in a resturant, your decision is directly impacting other people who did not make the decision to smoke.

As to why people wouldn't make an effort to do things that are for our benefit-people disagree with what is "to our benefit." You, for example, seem to think that it is beneficial to have a government that only gives advice. On the other hand, I think a government that regulates and creates rules is beneficial. Both opinions have larger results that affect other people. Whose opinion, then, should be followed and who gets to decide what is the policy? That's what the government is for. The government regulates us so as to minimallize any harm that we do to other members of society.

Well, I guess what you should be concerned about is priorities. If you're paying for a computer and internet while the taxpayer is feeding you, than you should have the fed looking into your activities.

What kind of car do you dirve?

Is government to intrusive? Well, do you think sending kids to jail for a stick figure drawing is to far?

http://www.debatepolitics.com/education/93122-11-year-old-boy-arrested-drawing.html

I wouldn't really put that under big government, because it's more of a local law enforcement issue... It's still BS, but not the same as big federal government and if it's not affecting me, then it's that localities problem. Sue the city and the police dept. The locality needs to correct it, if the federal government was protecting local police then it's too late... the government would be out of hand big

Back
Top Bottom