• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the burka a good thing, a bad thing, or a neutral thing?

• a good thing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a bad thing

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • a neutral thing

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

In Afghanistan the burka is now mandatory again.

Therefore this poll now - but about the burka worldwide.
Wearing any religious apparel should be entirely the choice of the wearer with no punitive consequences if they decide not to wear it.

A good thing - if you believe in the value of modest dress. I live amongst a healthy population of Old Order Amish and Mennonite farmers who wear/chose to wear traditional garb. Not much different from a burka except they don't cover their faces.
A bad thing - if wearing those burkas becomes mandated by law.
A neutral thing - It's just an article of clothing.

View attachment 67389608
I live in a similar area in NE-Ohio and many do not wear those clothes by choice.

If for no other reason than defining women as “temptresses” and using that as a excuse for extreme suppression of their rights, it makes Islam easiest the worst MAJOR religion on the face of the planet.

It's a silly idea but i really don't care if you cover or not. Just don't force those beliefs on me.

Funny how conservatives suddenly care about controlling women's bodies when it comes to appearances.
You are right. Islam is ultra-conservative and certainly aims at controlling every aspect of women's lives, including their appearance. However there is nothing 'sudden' about it.

In my opinion this burka is a perverse idea, invented by a perverse brain, and a very bad thing.
So you are going to tell women what's good for them? The women are idiots?

You are right. Islam is ultra-conservative and certainly aims at controlling every aspect of women's lives, including their appearance. However there is nothing 'sudden' about it.
It's pretty much middle eastern republicanism if you mean extremist Islam like Republicans are fascists in the West

So you are going to tell women what's good for them? The women are idiots?
I am not telling anybody anything.
I am asking a question.
Btw: Methinks you have no idea about the situation in Afghanistan.

And here is the question:

Is the burka a good thing, a bad thing, or a neutral thing?​

6 out of 9 voters now say:

a bad thing​

It's pretty much middle eastern republicanism if you mean extremist Islam like Republicans are fascists in the West
What is "middle eastern republicanism"?

It depends on why the woman is wearing it.

If it's coerced by her husband it's a bad thing, but none of our business.

If the woman is wearing it because she feels societal pressure it's not necessarily a bad thing. All over the world people wear garb that is customary but that we would find strange by western standards but again - none of our business.

I could also be that she's wearing it because she want to. Either for her own preference or traditional cultural reasons. To discount this very likely possibility is very misogynistic in my opinion.

No. The women are oppressed by Islam.
Women are oppressed by shit men in every faith. Most Muslim men are better husband's than the average Republican

Women are oppressed by shit men in every faith. Most Muslim men are better husband's than the average Republican
Lol, that should get people going. I don't agree with this statement btw. I don't think it's right to characterize either group as being infested with bad husbands.

Some Muslim countries do have problems culturally with how women are treated. You can't compare anything in the west with what goes on in Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan.

Lol, that should get people going. I don't agree with this statement btw. I don't think it's right to characterize either group as being infested with bad husbands.

Some Muslim countries do have problems culturally with how women are treated. You can't compare anything in the west with what goes on in Saudi Arabia or Afghanistan.
Most cops commit dv. That's a fact. Most Muslims are not violent men. Most Republicans want to own women and control their bodies. But i made a gross generalisation in response to one, that's true

I could also be that she's wearing it because she want to. Either for her own preference or traditional cultural reasons. To discount this very likely possibility is very misogynistic in my opinion.
Again, most burkas are worn in the Middle East and North Africa. They are worn in male dominated societies where woman are treated as property.

Read up on the Burka (Burqa) and the Wests position as it relates to immigration.

Wanna immigrate to Europe from the Middle East, fine, but take the ****ing burka off ..unfortunately women have been trained by men to wear the garb.

Again, most burkas are worn in the Middle East and North Africa. They are worn in male dominated societies where woman are treated as property.
It's unfortunate women have to live in those conditions.
Wanna immigrate to Europe from the Middle East, fine, but take the ****ing burka off ..
Not your place to tell women how to dress.
unfortunately women have been trained by men to wear the garb.
In Europe they can choose whether to wear it or not. You don't get to decide they cannot.

In Europe they can choose whether to wear it or not. You don't get to decide they cannot.
Your not reading, just making stuff up as you go along that aligns with your liberal politics.

1.jpg

A good thing - if you believe in the value of modest dress. I live amongst a healthy population of Old Order Amish and Mennonite farmers who wear/chose to wear traditional garb. Not much different from a burka except they don't cover their faces.
A bad thing - if wearing those burkas becomes mandated by law.
A neutral thing - It's just an article of clothing.

View attachment 67389608
I have to admit that when I am at the airport and see those Amish types about to board airplanes it really makes me nervous.

You know, because of the 9/11 thing that happened 20 years ago. ;)

Not your place to tell women how to dress.
Of course not, however it is the business of Governments when people hide there identity.

Its also the business of men all across the Middle East who demand there women cover the entire body.

This is all common knowledge, its a waste of my time to argue with you on this topic if you won't even read my link

How could it be a good thing for women to be forced to cover their bodies from head to toe including their faces? Why are people pretending that Afghani women are choosing this?
I think what's important to sort out here is there are some women who choose to wear them because they are strict adherents to their religions. We have Orthodox Jewish women who wear wigs to cover their natural hair as part of their faith and do so because they are loyal to the practices Judaism. I am no way in favor of women being forced into these kind of practices, but we can't assume all of them are being forced.

I think what's important to sort out here is there are some women who choose to wear them because they are strict adherents to their religions. We have Orthodox Jewish women who wear wigs to cover their natural hair as part of their faith and do so because they are loyal to the practices Judaism. I am no way in favor of women being forced into these kind of practices, but we can't assume all of them are being forced.
I would say if it is the law, women are being forced.

I would say if it is the law, women are being forced.
That seems like a stretch since some are compliant because they share the same religious beliefs. There are plenty of laws we have which one could view as forced upon us, but many of us may comply without feeling forced because we agree with them.

Back
Top Bottom