• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the burka a good thing, a bad thing, or a neutral thing?

• a good thing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a bad thing

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • a neutral thing

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

In Afghanistan the burka is now mandatory again.

Therefore this poll now - but about the burka worldwide.

In my opinion this burka is a perverse idea, invented by a perverse brain, and a very bad thing.

Wear one for a few days and get back to us.
You may tell that to those over-liberal and over-politically correct do-gooders, who always excuse any cruelty on earth.

We say that we believe in personal freedom.

So that includes the clothing that you decide to wear.

Look at the people you see at work and on the street.

Their clothing tells you what they think about themselves and the picture that they wish to present to the world.

So if a person wants to wear a burka, she should have that right.

Of course, her face should be uncovered for security reasons.

A burka is choice by whomever wishes to wear one but not be forced to do so.

Has it ever occured to some US-citizen that are are women who are forced to wear the burka?
Under danger of death?
Oh - what a wonderful freedom ....
What a wonderful symbol of freedom this burka is ....

How could it be a good thing for women to be forced to cover their bodies from head to toe including their faces? Why are people pretending that Afghani women are choosing this?

Their clothing tells you what they think about themselves and the picture that they wish to present to the world.

I agree with you on everything but your last sentence.
The government has no right to impose regulations on whether a face is covered or not, except where there's a bona fide need to identify oneself. A person can wear a mirrored or tinted visor on a motorcycle helmet, a balaclava in colder climates, or a facemask for health reasons. Those are examples of situations where a face is completely or partially obscured.

Aside from the hot flash issue, a burka takes care of a lot of problems. Lipstick, shaving, mask, hairdo are the first things that come to mind.

If I had to wear one, ya might as well kill me now and get it over with...I'm very hot natured and I don't like anything on my head...and I hate stupid masks...😷

A burka, per se, is a neutral thing . . . .
. . . . but this is an entirely different question. The poll should be asking "Is making the burka mandatory a good thing, a bad thing, . . . . . "
In general, most societal dress codes are not a good thing if they're mandatory under penalty of law. In public, most people should be able to dress as they wish, most of the time.

But if a woman's face remains uncovered she is not wearing a burka.

If I had to wear one, ya might as well kill me now and get it over with...I'm very hot natured and I don't like anything on my head...and I hate stupid masks...😷
Why would you have to wear one? We ain't living in a theocracy - yet

Forcing/requiring the wearing of anything for religious purposes is a bad thing. The article of clothing itself is just that, an article of clothing. If someone wants to wear one cool. If not, also cool.

This is the way we should treat women who wear burkas and hijabs.

Originally the burka and similar garb was purely to protect the person from the heat and sun. Similar cloths was worn in Southern Europe and the Middle East Christians for centuries. Not to mention in the Indian subcontinent by all religions.

Because of the male dominated societies, the burka and similar became a way to protect their property, aka women, from the gaze of other men. In many tribal societies across the known world, women were seen as property and key to the survival of the tribe, which is why tribes often fought over women and children. These tribes still exist in many places around the world, but have been slowly replaced in the west by nations, but the principle of keeping women as some sort of property and needing to protect them from outsiders has continued.... remember the anti-immigration crowd say "they come and take our jobs and our women"...

Then religion came along and those religions who have not had a reformation, have kept the traditions from centuries ago, which include the Burka and similar.

Look at this way.. there is a lot of tradition that is mixed up in religion or/and politics and used as an excuse to oppress people by conservative brownshirts world wide and have been for centuries.

But if a woman's face remains uncovered she is not wearing a burka.
Thank you.

Can a police officer ask her to show her face for ID?

Does she have to show her face when checking in at the airport?

I faintly remember that in France, there has been some unpleasantness over what a woman can and cannot cover up.

Funny how conservatives suddenly care about controlling women's bodies when it comes to appearances.

A good thing - if you believe in the value of modest dress. I live amongst a healthy population of Old Order Amish and Mennonite farmers who wear/chose to wear traditional garb. Not much different from a burka except they don't cover their faces.
A bad thing - if wearing those burkas becomes mandated by law.
A neutral thing - It's just an article of clothing.

All-Things-Amish.jpg

Lets be honest most burkas are worn in the Middle East and North Africa.

They are worn in male dominated societies, where men choose what women wear.

Insecure and afraid of a women's beauty, they choose to cover it up.

Can't help but think of Afghanistan and the low life's that run that country.

Afghan women being beat by police for removing her burka in public.

Taliban_beating_woman_in_public_RAWA.jpg

Back
Top Bottom