• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is suffering meaningless to atheists?

Is suffering meaningless to atheists

• Yes

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • If they don't give it meaning

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not really.

We know how to deal with the kind of bull**** threads you people pollute this site with. You're already getting the treatment you deserve.

By "centrist" in your self-description do you mean right in the middle of the rightwing cesspool?

This thread and "her" comments are the very definition of trolling.

It's a pattern that exists with this poster. Much like TypicalRussian.

No substance at all. Just prattle from a position of ignorance.

Not sure I even believe he/she is a Muslim.

Suffering is indifferent to human ideas of meaning. The causes of it strike randomly for the most part (some people have way of manufacturing and most likely magnifying their own suffering). Furthermore there's no "scale of suffering" that can be applied by one person or panel to compare one person's idea of suffering versus another's. What an absurd thread topic. But this one does suggest that there should be a category called "Absurd Believer Blathering."

Name one atheist you've ever met in your entire life that has told you he or she believes all suffering is meaningless. Total nonsense and you know it is.

It's like asking "Can theists love or is it meaningless to them?" It's so stupid and incorrect that it's actually insulting.

On this forum, they most certainly have...it's been stated over and over that suffering is meaningless, there's no reason for it and if God wanted to, He could stop it...just another jab at a merciless God, without attempting to understand the reasons why He allows suffering to happen, even though it's been explained, some just don't seem to get it...it's a rather childish response...

We know how to deal with the kind of bull**** threads you people pollute this site with. You're already getting the treatment you deserve.

"You people"...perhaps you should stay away from this section then...go back to the politics forum and beat one another to a pulp, since that' what "you people" enjoy the most...:2razz:

I do hope this treatment isn't something you organise. I expected more from you. The Chinese inject drugs that cause loss of memory and other significal issues. You call me names. See, if I were an atheist, I might be ungrateful at this

She stated: suffering - without meaning or goal. I don't even know what that means.

There is a goal in mind...

Were We Meant to Suffer?
Why It Matters
The answer to this question affects our outlook on life.

To Think About
Does it make sense that the God who created such beauty in the world would consign us to a life of suffering?

Secular-minded people view suffering as a reason to question God’s motives​—or even his existence. They believe that suffering shows that either (1) God is powerless to stop it, (2) God does not care to stop it, or (3) God does not exist.

Are those really the only options?

LEARN MORE

Watch the video How Can We Be Sure the Bible Is True? on jw.org.

What the Bible Says
God did not create us to suffer.

He wants us to enjoy life.

“There is nothing better for [people] than to rejoice and to do good during their life, also that everyone should eat and drink and find enjoyment for all his hard work. It is the gift of God.”​—ECCLESIASTES 3:12, 13.

God gave the first two humans a perfect start.

He did not mean for them​—or their descendants—​to suffer.

“God said to them: ‘Be fruitful and become many, fill the earth and subdue it.’”​—GENESIS 1:28.

The first two humans chose independence from God.

As a result, they brought much suffering on themselves and all their descendants.

“Through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because they had all sinned.”​—ROMANS 5:12.*

God did not create us to live independent of his guidance.

We were no more created to rule ourselves than to live under water.

“It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step.”​—JEREMIAH 10:23.

God does not want us to suffer.

He wants us to live in a way that, to the extent possible, we avoid problems.

“If only you would pay attention to my commandments! Then your peace would become just like a river.”​—ISAIAH 48:18.

In the Bible, the word “sin” refers not only to wrong acts but also to a condition that all humans have inherited.

Were we meant to suffer?
No. Suffering was never part of God’s purpose for humans. Suffering began when the first two humans chose a course of independence. But this does not mean that the human race is doomed to a cycle of endless suffering.

4. Were We Meant to Suffer? — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

I do hope this treatment isn't something you organise. I expected more from you. The Chinese inject drugs that cause loss of memory and other significal issues. You call me names. See, if I were an atheist, I might be ungrateful at this

86 posts in and you still REFUSE to explain your pathetic OP.

Will you ever define the terms you used in post #1 so that people can honestly respond?

Or, is this truly just a troll thread? <--- betting on this one based on all the evidence up to now

Self-imposed suffering or penance is a great character-builder, and it is a requirement for heaven. "Unless you do penance, you shall perish".

One of the great ways we can offer this penance is to treat every negative or disappointment with a cheerful optimistic spirit, and to not complain. We obtain much grace from such a practice, and earn the respect and gratitude of others. Mother Teresa pointed out the benefit of suffering, something she was criticized for, but she was spot on.

I don't know every atheist so I have no idea what suffering is to all of them. Since atheism is not a belief system it has nothing to say about suffering.

The question should be does all suffering necessarily have meaning?

Self-imposed suffering or penance is a great character-builder, and it is a requirement for heaven. "Unless you do penance, you shall perish".

One of the great ways we can offer this penance is to treat every negative or disappointment with a cheerful optimistic spirit, and to not complain. We obtain much grace from such a practice, and earn the respect and gratitude of others. Mother Teresa pointed out the benefit of suffering, something she was criticized for, but she was spot on.

Self-imposed suffering is idiotic and pointless.

On this forum, they most certainly have...it's been stated over and over that suffering is meaningless, there's no reason for it and if God wanted to, He could stop it...just another jab at a merciless God, without attempting to understand the reasons why He allows suffering to happen, even though it's been explained, some just don't seem to get it...it's a rather childish response...

Suffering sucks.

Suffering sucks.

Yes, it does but to understand why and who is causing it and to know it will end, certainly makes it more bearable...

"You people"...perhaps you should stay away from this section then...go back to the politics forum and beat one another to a pulp, since that' what "you people" enjoy the most...:2razz:

Perhaps you should stick your nose somewhere else.

Yes, it does but to understand why and who is causing it and to know it will end, certainly makes it more bearable...

No, it just flat out sucks. There is no way to put a positive spin on it. Sometimes it happens for no reason and is not caused by anyone. It sucks.

No, it just flat out sucks. There is no way to put a positive spin on it. Sometimes it happens for no reason and is not caused by anyone. It sucks.

Agreed, but it is possible to understand why God allows it to happen...

And do you agree with the OP that atheists are incapable of handling suffering? If so and you think believers as a whole are any better at it you're even more, lets say, "affected" than I thought.

Back
Top Bottom