• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is Howard Dean the right man to lead the Democratic Party?

Is Howard Dean the right man to lead the Democratic Party?

• Yes

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 52.9%

• Total voters
The left roars back:

Meow
images

hipsterdufus said:
A little story.

Howard Dean recently spent a few hours at a student of mine's home. The student was so moved by Dr. Dean's positive message, she contacted me to address classmates at a club I run on Democracy. This girl is an honors student, taking 3 AP classes and will be able to go to the college of her chosing next year. She can't vote yet, and neither can the people that she spoke to, but Gov. Dean's words touched her so deeply that she felt the need to share his message with whoever would listen. To me, that's Democracy at it's best...grass roots and personal.

"This campaign's a little different from most campaigns in the sense that it's not really about me, it's about a movement to take back the country."
Howard Dean - LA Weekly August 29, 2003

That is to bad, as she grows older and wiser gets married and has a family hopefully she will see the light and become a moderate......

26 X World Champs said:
Your "logic" is flawed, again. Dean had zero to do with either race. Are you not smart enough to understand that people vote for the candidates not the national party chairman?

It is incredibly stupid to believe that Dean has had any real effect on either election, but then again I will consider the source of the post...:thumbdown

But Howler Dean is their "leader", is he not? He coaches the other dems on what HE thinks the American people like. And maybe he's right, but I disagree with him on a lot of junk.

Navy Pride said:
That is to bad, as she grows older and wiser gets married and has a family hopefully she will see the light and become a moderate......

Howler Dean's words are like poison that ooze along his forked tongue. SLAY THE BEAST!!!! lol j/k But seriously, I don't like Howler. He's a moron, like "Leaky" Leahy and "Sheets" Byrd.

Howard Dean on MTP

Howard Dean was on Meet The Press today. I thought he gave one of his best interviews. I found a good review of his interview on Daily Kos:

Howard Dean on MTP
by Armando
Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 10:02:09 AM PDT
Howard Dean was interviewed by Tim Russert this morning on Meet the Press and, to my way of thinking, said all the right things.

Tell the Truth. When asked what Democrats will do on Iraq, Dean answered, in essence, tell the truth. He contrasted this with the dishonesty and deception that has marked the Bush Admnistration and Republicans on Iraq and almost every other issue. When asked what Democratic politicians should say about their prior votes on Iraq, he said - tell the truth. He markedly contrasted them with Bush and the Republicans, whom Dean called "corrupt" and "dishonest." This is a winning issue that most Americans agree with and behind which Democrats of all ideologies can rally behind.

Extremist Religiosity Does Not Equal Moral Values. Russert put up a poll finding in the most recent NBC poll that found that 35% of Americans thought the Republicans were the "more moral" party, while only 18% thought the Democrats the moral party. Dean did not bite into the premise. He understood two things about that poll finding - (1) That only 35% of Americans thought Republicans the more "moral" party is a huge problem for the GOP. If 65% of Americans have not been spun on this issue, then the GOP attempt to brand the Democratic Party as the party of the perverse is failing. (2) That Democrats comfortable talking about their faith of course should and will. This signalled to me that on "values" questions, Dean embraces the Big Tent concept, where different approaches for different Dems in different parts of the country is an essential strategy for Democratic success. Dean stressed that it is our underlying values, not the source of them, that bring us together as Democrats.

Dean also took an opportunity to tweak Russert's assumption that faith = Christianity. Russert spotlighted a Tim Kaine statement about his Christianity and asked Dean if Dems willbe talking more about their faith. Dean reminded Russert that faith does not equal Christianity. I thought it was an embarrassing moment for Russert.

The Alito Nomination. Russert tried to put Dean on the defensive on the question of the Alito nomination, suggesting that Dem opposition would amount to obstructionism. Russert referenced a NYTimes editorial today as a negative example of this. Dean turned this entirely around, embracing the Alito nomination process as a chance for Dems to define themselves as the Party of Mainstream Values. In particular, Dean endorsed this portion of the editorial:
http://www.dailykos.com/

RE :Hipsterdufus #257
Howard dean is a Republicans dream,how far Left can you go.
Russert couldn't get a straight answer out of him on what democrats alternatives are to Republican policies.
At least no one called the democrats " The party of DEATH " which is one of their nicknames ,because. Of their abortion on demand beliefs.

Re: Howard Dean on MTP

hipsterdufus said:
Howard Dean was on Meet The Press today. I thought he gave one of his best interviews. I found a good review of his interview on Daily Kos:

http://www.dailykos.com/

hips, you are blinded by your bias my friend.......Dean had his dancing shoes on and danced around every question Russert asked him........

Navy Pride said:
hips, you are blinded by your bias my friend.......Dean had his dancing shoes on and danced around every question Russert asked him........

Hmmm, I could've sworn that was Ken "the pull-string talking point doll" Mehlman

:lol: :lol:

Re: Dean on Meet the Press

Another viewpoint: I happened to see Meet the Press today and see that someone has posted their and (Kos') impression of how good DNC chairman Howard Dean performed...and I use the word 'performed' deliberately, 'cause to my way of thinking, he was simply awful.

It has become more and more clear that the Dems under Dean's leadership (?) have put together some 'talking points' but as yet have absolutely no substance with which to back them up. When Russert pressed Dean for specifics of how the Dems would attack the problems that the Dems were criticizing the Bush administration for, Dean hedged and hedged and hedged, finally saying that they would announce specific programs and/or plans in '06, in time for the next elections.

It isn't entirely clear yet, but from Dean's comments, it seems that the recent spate of attacks alleging 'Bush lied' may have been orchestrated or at least encouraged by the DNC. Dean used many of the same words and phrases, but in a much more clumsy, less adroit way, than the more skillful speakers in the Dem camp. It begins to look as if the Dems picked up on the 'Bush lied' phrase from the anti's and adopted it as their own. On Meet the Press, Dean continually reiterated that the Dems 'always tell the truth' (Russert was kind enough not to remind Dean of Bill Clinton's kerfuffle).

And in response to a Russert question about the Virginia governor's election, Dean responded that the DNC funneled 'lots and lots of money and other help' into the local Dem organization. (An earlier poster asserted that Dean had nothing to do with the local race. Presumably, as DNC chairman, Dean had considerable influence and say-so as to what kinds of help and what $$ amounts were provided to the local organization. Dean implied quite a lot of both.)

All in all, the juxtaposition of the RNC chairman and the DNC chairman appearing not side by side, but one following the other was more interesting, in that it gave both more of an opportunity to sound off without being interrupted or distracted by the other. On this particular Sunday, IMO, the RNC chairman had much more comprehensive and pertinent things to say and was (again, IMO) much more articulate.

Disclaimer/caveat: I was not a Dean fan in the Pres primaries and admit that my reaction to his appearance today might have been influenced by his previous campaign appearances, whereas I had never seen the RNC chairman on screen previously. Oviously, your mileage may vary.

BWG said:
Hmmm, I could've sworn that was Ken "the pull-string talking point doll" Mehlman

:lol: :lol:

Melhman answers the questions, he does not dodge them and he does not alienate moderate voters....

You got a real winner in Dean....Best thing that has happened to the republican party since the "Ice Princess" Hillary......Please never dump him............

Of course Howard Dean danced around many of Tim Russerts questions. Mainly because he had no answers ,but.Also because the ideas of the leftist leadership of the democratic party .Are so offensive to most Americans !

oldreliable67 said:
Re: Dean on Meet the Press

Another viewpoint: I happened to see Meet the Press today and see that someone has posted their and (Kos') impression of how good DNC chairman Howard Dean performed...and I use the word 'performed' deliberately, 'cause to my way of thinking, he was simply awful.

It has become more and more clear that the Dems under Dean's leadership (?) have put together some 'talking points' but as yet have absolutely no substance with which to back them up. When Russert pressed Dean for specifics of how the Dems would attack the problems that the Dems were criticizing the Bush administration for, Dean hedged and hedged and hedged, finally saying that they would announce specific programs and/or plans in '06, in time for the next elections.

It isn't entirely clear yet, but from Dean's comments, it seems that the recent spate of attacks alleging 'Bush lied' may have been orchestrated or at least encouraged by the DNC. Dean used many of the same words and phrases, but in a much more clumsy, less adroit way, than the more skillful speakers in the Dem camp. It begins to look as if the Dems picked up on the 'Bush lied' phrase from the anti's and adopted it as their own. On Meet the Press, Dean continually reiterated that the Dems 'always tell the truth' (Russert was kind enough not to remind Dean of Bill Clinton's kerfuffle).

And in response to a Russert question about the Virginia governor's election, Dean responded that the DNC funneled 'lots and lots of money and other help' into the local Dem organization. (An earlier poster asserted that Dean had nothing to do with the local race. Presumably, as DNC chairman, Dean had considerable influence and say-so as to what kinds of help and what $$ amounts were provided to the local organization. Dean implied quite a lot of both.)

All in all, the juxtaposition of the RNC chairman and the DNC chairman appearing not side by side, but one following the other was more interesting, in that it gave both more of an opportunity to sound off without being interrupted or distracted by the other. On this particular Sunday, IMO, the RNC chairman had much more comprehensive and pertinent things to say and was (again, IMO) much more articulate.

Disclaimer/caveat: I was not a Dean fan in the Pres primaries and admit that my reaction to his appearance today might have been influenced by his previous campaign appearances, whereas I had never seen the RNC chairman on screen previously. Oviously, your mileage may vary.

I saw the program as well, and thought it was very telling, they have no answers, as their time is spent on raising money, and smearing Republicans, in an attempt to regain control. They think all of that can be sorted out later, after they win the elections, I think that is backward thinking, and should shame Dem's. They think you just owe them your vote, without even a plan, or any consideration of what you would like to see happen. I used to think they only did this with the black vote, now it would appear the entire party is taken advantage of, how very sad.

Deegan said:
I saw the program as well, and thought it was very telling, they have no answers, as their time is spent on raising money, and smearing Republicans, in an attempt to regain control. They think all of that can be sorted out later, after they win the elections, I think that is backward thinking, and should shame Dem's. They think you just owe them your vote, without even a plan, or any consideration of what you would like to see happen. I used to think they only did this with the black vote, now it would appear the entire party is taken advantage of, how very sad.

From an earlier post...

cnredd said:
...There's no platform other than "opposition".

Heaven forbid a liberal would win the Presidency....For about three weeks, every Democrat would be celebrating...."We got rid of the Evil Empire!"...

Then when the public says, "Now what?", you'd get that deer-in-the-headlights stare...

http://www.debatepolitics.com/showpost.php?p=40179&postcount=99

JOHNYJ said:
Of course Howard Dean danced around many of Tim Russerts questions. Mainly because he had no answers ,but.Also because the ideas of the leftist leadership of the democratic party .Are so offensive to most Americans !

ure, post . wood bee more pourerphull iff ewe could spell . ore use : pukchation ggoodly. ?

hipsterdufus said:
ure, post . wood bee more pourerphull iff ewe could spell . ore use : pukchation ggoodly. ?

Again, why must you answer his views with such arrogance and anger? I realize you're a teacher, but this person is not in your class, and is not your responsibility. I realize your idol has been attacked here, but you would do better to answer these points with real facts, right now you seem defeated, and desperate.

When Russert interviews like that he usually has the people on at the same time but I heard Dean refused to be on with Melhman because he was afraid of what Mehlman might say to him.........

Navy Pride said:
When Russert interviews like that he usually has the people on at the same time but I heard Dean refused to be on with Melhman because he was afraid of what Mehlman might say to him.........

Do you have a source for that?

Ken Melman on MTP Sunday continued to put out some falacies that the Bush has been pushing:

1. Congress had the same intel as the president.
2. The Senate has concluded that the president did not misrepresent this intelligence.
3. Saddam = BinLaden (Melman made the 9/11 Iraq connection no less than three times on Saturday.

President Bush and his national security adviser have answered critics of the Iraq war in recent days with a two-pronged argument: that Congress saw the same intelligence the administration did before the war, and that independent commissions have determined that the administration did not misrepresent the intelligence.

Neither assertion is wholly accurate.

The administration's overarching point is true: Intelligence agencies overwhelmingly believed that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, and very few members of Congress from either party were skeptical about this belief before the war began in 2003. Indeed, top lawmakers in both parties were emphatic and certain in their public statements.

But Bush and his aides had access to much more voluminous intelligence information than did lawmakers, who were dependent on the administration to provide the material. And the commissions cited by officials, though concluding that the administration did not pressure intelligence analysts to change their conclusions, were not authorized to determine whether the administration exaggerated or distorted those conclusions.

National security adviser Stephen J. Hadley, briefing reporters Thursday, countered "the notion that somehow this administration manipulated the intelligence." He said that "those people who have looked at that issue, some committees on the Hill in Congress, and also the Silberman-Robb Commission, have concluded it did not happen."

But the only committee investigating the matter in Congress, the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, has not yet done its inquiry into whether officials mischaracterized intelligence by omitting caveats and dissenting opinions. And Judge Laurence H. Silberman, chairman of Bush's commission on weapons of mass destruction, said in releasing his report on March 31, 2005: "Our executive order did not direct us to deal with the use of intelligence by policymakers, and all of us were agreed that that was not part of our inquiry."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...111101832.html

An interesting point was that Melman agreed that the pre-war intelligence was flawed.

hipsterdufus said:
Do you have a source for that?

Ken Melman on MTP Sunday continued to put out some falacies that the Bush has been pushing:

1. Congress had the same intel as the president.
2. The Senate has concluded that the president did not misrepresent this intelligence.
3. Saddam = BinLaden (Melman made the 9/11 Iraq connection no less than three times on Saturday.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...111101832.html

An interesting point was that Melman agreed that the pre-war intelligence was flawed.

1. The Senate intel Com. did have the same intelligence.....

2. Every non biased organization has concluded that

3. Your link does not work

Melhman is right, the pre war intelligence was flawed....

i thank hes doing a pretty good job making an ass out of the dem party so i voted yes.

Back
Top Bottom