• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is defining Roe v Wade as a women's-rights issue transphobic?

The OP appears to presuppose all trans people are just men in dresses. A big chunk start out as women too, with a uterus I'd imagine. How foes this not affect them?

The OP appears to presuppose all trans people are just men in dresses. A big chunk start out as women too, with a uterus I'd imagine. How foes this not affect them?
They are obsessed with ****. Lesbians and trans men are not important to them

Huh? Of course it affects transmen, which is why I'm asking if defining it as women's rights is transphobic against transmen if you regard transmen as men.

They are obsessed with ****. Lesbians and trans men are not important to them

Huh? I started this thread because it seemed transmen were being ignored by it being defined as a women's-rights issue.

And my sister is a lesbian, so they are important to me.

One if the things that has surprised me about the Supreme Court decision over RvW is many progressives defining this as a women's-rights issue. Surely defining it as a women's-rights issue is transphobic against transmen, and possibly against transwomen for associating woman with female biological attributes.

This seems to go against their orthodoxy, which is that being a woman is an identity not based on biology, that males can be women, and men can get pregnant. If men and women can get pregnant, then it can't be a women's-rights issue.

I also fail to see any significant difference between what JK Rowling said - that people who menstruate are women, and what progressives are now saying - that pregnancy is a women's-rights issue. Yet Rowling was bombarded with rape and death threats.
As only biological women can get pregnant it makes sense that it's a "woman's issue".

Huh? Of course it affects transmen, which is why I'm asking if defining it as women's rights is transphobic against transmen if you regard transmen as men.
The particular issue of carrying a child to term my not physically affect them as they don't have a uterus. But they have friends, relatives and lived ones who do possess one. Some may also be involved in heterosexual sex at times.

More broadly though, some scholars point out Roe opened the door to other sexual freedoms. Without it we may not have easy contraception, gay marriage, sex change ops or legal recognition and protection for trans people. Given the mindset of the justices ruling against reproductive choice based on their religious beliefs, there's every possibility they'll use the same "states rights" excuse to remove protections for the LGBTQ community.

One if the things that has surprised me about the Supreme Court decision over RvW is many progressives defining this as a women's-rights issue. Surely defining it as a women's-rights issue is transphobic against transmen, and possibly against transwomen for associating woman with female biological attributes.

This seems to go against their orthodoxy, which is that being a woman is an identity not based on biology, that males can be women, and men can get pregnant. If men and women can get pregnant, then it can't be a women's-rights issue.

I also fail to see any significant difference between what JK Rowling said - that people who menstruate are women, and what progressives are now saying - that pregnancy is a women's-rights issue. Yet Rowling was bombarded with rape and death threats.

The more interesting part for me is people saying men cant have an opinion on this. Do they mean men or transmen? Is our entitlement to have an opinion based on our gender or biology? Like are transwomen allowed to have an opinion? Are women who trans to men no longer allowed?

The more interesting part for me is people saying men cant have an opinion on this. Do they mean men or transmen? Is our entitlement to have an opinion based on our gender or biology? Like are transwomen allowed to have an opinion? Are women who trans to men no longer allowed?
Sounds like "gender privilege".

Sounds like "gender privilege".

It just sounds like an interesting philosophical idea. I imagine the prochoice people arent very interested in examining such things to see if they are consistent positions, but I lean more towards the socratic idea of truth. Like, is running around with a 'my choice, my body' sign while supporting vaccine mandates consistent? Is it when the anti vaccine mandate pro life people did it!?

Jesus Christ, what a wall of stupid shit.

Sometimes I marvel at how self-destructive the fringe left is. Instead of sticking with "A woman's right to choose" - a good bumper sticker slogan that most people understood and agreed with - they've instead opted for "Birthing bodies deserve freedom."

Because literally everything has to be about chicks with dicks, and all other political issues must be viewed through the prism of how it affects chicks with dicks.

The anti-abortion crowd is winning for the simple reason that they wanted it more.

Huh? I started this thread because it seemed transmen were being ignored by it being defined as a women's-rights issue.

And my sister is a lesbian, so they are important to me.
The left don't care, we accept everyone. The right cry about c*ck

Sometimes I marvel at how self-destructive the fringe left is. Instead of sticking with "A woman's right to choose" - a good bumper sticker slogan that most people understood and agreed with - they've instead opted for "Birthing bodies deserve freedom."

Because literally everything has to be about chicks with dicks, and all other political issues must be viewed through the prism of how it affects chicks with dicks.

The anti-abortion crowd is winning for the simple reason that they wanted it more.

There is more than one minority group you hate, and we've already seen the right claiming that abortion rights attack trans rights. This is on you

The anti abortion crowd will win because determined hate is all they have and all they are

I'm fascinating by how stupid right wing people are. Abortion affects the sex of women. It has nothing to do with gender.

JK is not being bombarded with threats LOL!!!
Are you a biologist?

Are you a biologist?

Are you suggesting I can't read? Biologists accept some people are trans. Abortion relates to sex, not gender. The right are trying to drag gender into it

There is more than one minority group you hate,
The only minority group that I hate are annoying internet trolls.
and we've already seen the right claiming that abortion rights attack trans rights. This is on you
I'm not on the right and I support abortion.
The anti abortion crowd will win because determined hate is all they have and all they are
They are winning because while they've spent the past 40 years building a well-oiled political machine for the explicit purpose of appointing conservative judges to overturn Roe v Wade, their counterparts on the left have spent the past decade trying in vain to educate us ignorant rubes that women can have penises too.

But hey, even though they're winning on the policy, you can take solace in the fact that you're the wokest one of your Tumblr friends. I hope it was worth it.

Are you suggesting I can't read? Biologists accept some people are trans. Abortion relates to sex, not gender. The right are trying to drag gender into it
Just another example of the shifting standards by progressives

The only minority group that I hate are annoying internet trolls.

I'm not on the right and I support abortion.

They are winning because while they've spent the past 40 years building a well-oiled political machine for the explicit purpose of appointing conservative judges to overturn Roe v Wade, their counterparts on the left have decided that the rest of us rubes need to be educated that women can have penises too.

But hey, even though they're winning on the policy, you can take solace in the fact that you're the wokest one of your Tumblr friends. I hope it was worth it.

So you hate women? Fair enough. Up to you.

Yes, they have worked hard to harm women when they could have made society better. I agree

"I'm not on the right but I hate women and the idea of morality" HAHAHAHAA!!!!

Just another example of the shifting standards by progressives

You mean we read shit and learn and make the world better? I agree. I had no thoughts on trans women a decade ago. I've educated myself

So you hate women? Fair enough. Up to you.
The people who hate women are the ones who refer to men as women, and refer to actual women as "birthing bodies."

"I'm not on the right but I hate women and the idea of morality" HAHAHAHAA!!!!
It is deeply immoral to try to make a women's rights issue all about you and your radical transgender religion. Not everything is about you.

The people who hate women are the ones who refer to men as women, and refer to actual women as "birthing bodies."

It is deeply immoral to try to make a women's rights issue all about you and your radical transgender religion. Not everything is about you.

This is simply incorrect. There are two things here. People whose sex is female can have abortions. If a trans woman has an abortion does not affect their right to do so, it does not hurt them

Gender is not sex and some people are transexual. Being kind to trans women does not hurt people whose sex is female. No one can give me one example where this is true. You are pretending to care about women to hate trans folks. Most women disagree with you. TERFs exist, but there's right wing people everywhere, some are women. As an example, most women's sporting groups welcome participation by trans women

This is simply incorrect. There are two things here. People whose sex is female can have abortions. If a trans woman has an abortion does not affect their right to do so, it does not hurt them
JFC. Why do you people insist on making literally every unrelated political issue about The Tranzez? Are you aware that roughly 99.5% of the population is not trans, and many of them vote?

Gender is not sex and some people are transexual.
No one cares.

Being kind to trans women does not hurt people whose sex is female.
Is that what you think you're doing by saying wHaT aBoUt TeH tRaNzEz to every political topic? How is that working out for you?

No one can give me one example where this is true.
You want to know how it hurts women? OK. Let me spell it out for you:
1. Jane has a bumper sticker on her car that says "Support a woman's right to choose" to show her support for the pro-choice movement.
2. Asshole shouts at her for being transphobic and tells her that ACKSHUALLY she should support ALL birthing bodies' right to choose. Embarrassed or intimidated, she removes the bumper sticker.
3. Jane never replaces it with a bumper sticker about "Birthing bodies" because she isn't an insane person.
4. On Election Day, Jane stays home because she concludes that many people on the left don't actually care about women's rights. And in that assessment, she's right.
5. President Ted Cruz appoints 4 new right-wing Supreme Court justices who make fetal personhood a thing.

Stop muddying the waters of a women's rights issue by trying to make it all about men.

JFC. Why do you people insist on making literally every unrelated political issue about The Tranzez? Are you aware that roughly 99.5% of the population is not trans, and many of them vote?

No one cares.

Is that what you think you're doing by saying wHaT aBoUt TeH tRaNzEz to every political topic? How is that working out for you?

You want to know how it hurts women? OK. Let me spell it out for you:
1. Jane has a bumper sticker on her car that says "Support a woman's right to choose" to show her support for the pro-choice movement.
2. Asshole shouts at her for being transphobic and tells her that ACKSHUALLY she should support ALL birthing bodies' right to choose. Embarrassed or intimidated, she removes the bumper sticker.
3. Jane never replaces it with a bumper sticker about "Birthing bodies" because she isn't an insane person.
4. On Election Day, Jane stays home because she concludes that many people on the left don't actually care about women's rights. And in that assessment, she's right.
5. President Ted Cruz appoints 4 new right-wing Supreme Court justices who make fetal personhood a thing.

Stop muddling the waters of women's rights issue by trying to make it all about men.

Your percentage is bullshit, but why would you vote to harm minorities?

You don't care how your body works? *shrug* OK

In fact it was right wing idiots who conflated abortion rights with 'the left' lying about THE TRANS AGENDA. I just piled on

No one is shouting at people for saying women LOL!! This is a right wing fantasy. But right wing idiots yell at me for not hating black people regularly. Some people are rude. That's life.

Jane sounds like a f*cking idiot. I don't think every Trumptard is a Nazi just because some are. I don't see why you'd define 'the left' by one angry person in a car parking lot.

Your percentage is bullshit, but why would you vote to harm minorities?
How does supporting a woman's right to choose harm The Tranzez in any way whatsoever?

No one is shouting at people for saying women LOL!! This is a right wing fantasy.
That is literally the question this thread is asking, which you notably did not answer. If it's just a fantasy and there's no truth to it, then just say it. Say that abortion is a women's rights issue.

I don't see why you'd define 'the left' by one angry person in a car parking lot.
Because it's not just one angry person in a car parking lot. The left-wing is increasingly unwilling to defend its sensible position on abortion on the grounds of womens rights because it might make The Tranzez sad. OK. You've made your choice about where your priorities are, and it's clearly not with women's rights.

Back
Top Bottom