• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is defining Roe v Wade as a women's-rights issue transphobic?

woman​

wom·an | \ ˈwu̇-mən , especially Southern ˈwō- or ˈwə- \
plural women\ ˈwi-mən \

Definition of woman

1a: an adult female person
b: a woman belonging to a particular category (as by birth, residence, membership, or occupation) —usually used in combinationcouncilwoman
2: WOMANKIND
3: distinctively feminine nature : WOMANLINESS
4: a woman who is a servant or personal attendant
5achiefly dialectal : WIFE

This is what dictionaries are for.

b: MISTRESS
c: GIRLFRIEND sense 2
6: a woman who is extremely fond of or devoted to something specifiedI'm a chocolate woman through and through, but one bite of West's banana pudding cupcake and I was sold.— Hattie Brown Garrow
Are you a biologist?

Trans women are women and right wing people spend too much time thinking about the genitals of strangers

What makes a person a woman?

What makes a person a woman?
Now that's a loaded question I wouldn't touch with a five-foot pole.

That said, let's talk science. There are many different things that set -biological- women apart from -biological- men.

Women have higher estrogen, give birth, and most have a more friendly disposition than men do (this last one is a personal life observation). Men have higher testosterone, are needed for reproduction (but do not give birth), and are more likely to be combative when unprovoked (again, a personal observation).

If a transman has the "plumbing" to give birth and have higher estrogen than a male, that meets two out of the three criteria.

Now that's a loaded question I wouldn't touch with a five-foot pole.

That said, let's talk science. There are many different things that set -biological- women apart from -biological- men.

If you're going to use these terms you can just drop the biological part.
Women have higher estrogen, give birth, and most have a more friendly disposition than men do (this last one is a personal life observation). Men have higher testosterone, are needed for reproduction (but do not give birth), and are more likely to be combative when unprovoked (again, a personal observation).
From what I understand you have to be a biologist to be able to say any of this.
If a transman has the "plumbing" to give birth and have higher estrogen than a male, that meets two out of the three criteria.
Huh?

If you're going to use these terms you can just drop the biological part.

From what I understand you have to be a biologist to be able to say any of this.

Huh?
I don't have to be a biologist to say any of it because these are well-known and established facts that most people learn in high school biology 101 (or whatever they call that course now). I have my course notes from 2001-ish to prove it. People generally have been the same for thousands of years in this regard without the aid of transitioning therapy, etc.

Uterus, womb, cervix, etc. -- my understanding is if you are transitioning from Female to Male (i.e., a transman), until they perform a hysterectomy, those parts, the "plumbing" the person transitioning, So this fits the criteria of a woman (Since you want me to drop "biological" from it, though I contest that makes the issue murkier). A person transitioning from Male to Female cannot have a womb or uterus implanted in them (though II understand there is a procedure being developed, but it is not commonly used yet), hence they fit the criteria of a man. And this is only from the perspective of "which trans people does this effect," and not from the politically correct aspects, etc. etc.

I'm fascinating by how stupid right wing people are. Abortion affects the sex of women. It has nothing to do with gender.

JK is not being bombarded with threats LOL!!!

LOL! It's fascinating how the left forge3ts they own stupid arguments when and where convenient...

Take your argument above and apply it to Women's sports.

I don't have to be a biologist to say any of it because these are well-known and established facts that most people learn in high school biology 101 (or whatever they call that course now).
I learned it a lot earlier than that. But this is a brave New world in which you have to be a biologist in order to define woman

I have my course notes from 2001-ish to prove it. People generally have been the same for thousands of years in this regard without the aid of transitioning therapy, etc.

Uterus, womb, cervix, etc. -- my understanding is if you are transitioning from Female to Male (i.e., a transman), until they perform a hysterectomy, those parts, the "plumbing" the person transitioning, So this fits the criteria of a woman (Since you want me to drop "biological" from it, though I contest that makes the issue murkier). A person transitioning from Male to Female cannot have a womb or uterus implanted in them (though II understand there is a procedure being developed, but it is not commonly used yet), hence they fit the criteria of a man. And this is only from the perspective of "which trans people does this effect," and not from the politically correct aspects, etc. etc.
You would think this but here we are.

LOL! It's fascinating how the left forge3ts they own stupid arguments when and where convenient...

Take your argument above and apply it to Women's sports.

It's interesting the right can't follow a train of thought. The debate over trans women in sport is nonsense, another smokescreen for hate. Women playing sport don't want your support

It's interesting the right can't follow a train of thought. The debate over trans women in sport is nonsense, another smokescreen for hate. Women playing sport don't want your support

Much like the Democrats doomed themselves by trying to fight the Mississipi law, the doomed themselves by trying to make the leap from "gender is a social construct" to gender-overrides-biology.

But please, hand wave away the logical counterarguments and keep making stupid arguments... I'm sure it helps Democrats!

Much like the Democrats doomed themselves by trying to fight the Mississipi law, the doomed themselves by trying to make the leap from "gender is a social construct" to gender-overrides-biology.

But please, hand wave away the logical counterarguments and keep making stupid arguments... I'm sure it helps Democrats!
I note you utterly failed to answer what i said.

Gender is two things. There's an innate sense of gender that we have, but society ties it to a lot of made up bullshit like men don't cook and women can't drive. If anything, trans folks taught us gender is real.

I note you utterly failed to answer what i said.

Gender is two things. There's an innate sense of gender that we have, but society ties it to a lot of made up bullshit like men don't cook and women can't drive. If anything, trans folks taught us gender is real.

You mean I failed to answer to the post where you failed to answer to my post? I'm picking up a ternd....

You mean I failed to answer to the post where you failed to answer to my post? I'm picking up a ternd....
With respect, you didn't make a meaningful point, except you're trying to muddy the waters because you don't understand what's going on

With respect, you didn't make a meaningful point, except you're trying to muddy the waters because you don't understand what's going on

I made a meaningful point whether you value it or not. Your handwaving post contributed nothing.

One if the things that has surprised me about the Supreme Court decision over RvW is many progressives defining this as a women's-rights issue. Surely defining it as a women's-rights issue is transphobic against transmen, and possibly against transwomen for associating woman with female biological attributes.

This seems to go against their orthodoxy, which is that being a woman is an identity not based on biology, that males can be women, and men can get pregnant. If men and women can get pregnant, then it can't be a women's-rights issue.

I also fail to see any significant difference between what JK Rowling said - that people who menstruate are women, and what progressives are now saying - that pregnancy is a women's-rights issue. Yet Rowling was bombarded with rape and death threats.
It's another example of the language shift issue, where people will fall back on the old uses especially when they are not talking transgender issues. The principles remain consistent regardless of the overlap in language use. Abortions remains an issues of those who can get pregnant, and not for those who cannot. A female without a uterus has no stake or say in the abortion issue.

This is a genuine question: can transexuals now or ever have children? If the answer is yes to either, then this is more than a women's rights issue. If the answer to either is no, then it is only a women's rights issue.
If you are going with the older use of the word, which was abandoned for transgender, then it would be possible, since transitioning doesn't not always involved full SRS. However, if you are going with the newer use, where some within the transgender community are trying to recover the word to mean those who have had the full SRS (IOW, all transsexuals would be transgender, but not all transgender would be transexual), then the answer would be no, since the process would render the individual sterile. We don't have the medical technology to make a previously sterile person fertile again (outside of reversing tube cutting).

I meant transgender. Oh my god that was bad. Must have had a brain fart that night. Thank you for clarifying though :)

How the **** do these people even function in society on a day-to-day basis? Assholes like this are going to end up getting abortion banned, because the simple, easy-to-understand slogan "A woman's right to choose" has been redefined as transphobic hate speech by the looniest elements of the left.

Back
Top Bottom