• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Cyberbullying real?

Is Cyberbullying Really That Serious of a Thing?

• Yes

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
Absolutely. When you see what kids go through with this online harassment and absolutely vile behavior, it should make anyone's stomach churn.

Why not teach the kid that words on a screen have no consequences in their lives, therefore they are easily ignored.

Why not teach the kid that words on a screen have no consequences in their lives, therefore they are easily ignored.

Because you would have to be an absolute fool to believe that. It's the same kids that are physically and/or verbally beating on them in their schools, in their neighborhoods. They just find another avenue to spread it even further. I've seen it, I've read it.

Seriously. If you have that little of an understanding of what people do with cyber bullying, you're a damn fool and I hope to Christ you never have a kid that has to go through with it so you can continue to utter such ignorant trash.

Because you would have to be an absolute fool to believe that. It's the same kids that are physically and/or verbally beating on them in their schools, in their neighborhoods. They just find another avenue to spread it even further. I've seen it, I've read it.

Seriously. If you have that little of an understanding of what people do with cyber bullying, you're a damn fool and I hope to Christ you never have a kid that has to go through with it so you can continue to utter such ignorant trash.

Why is it when cyberbullying is being discussed, the subject jumps to actual real life events?

If the child is being beat up at school, that is a police matter.

Words on a screen have no effect on their life whatsoever, and the parents have a duty to teach them that fact.

You really should keep your name calling to a minimum when you don't know what you are talking about.

Why is it when cyberbullying is being discussed, the subject jumps to actual real life events?

Words on a screen have no effect on their life whatsoever, and the parents have a duty to teach them that fact.

You really should keep your name calling to a minimum when you don't know what you are talking about.

Man this is hilarious. Of course I go to real life events. I know kids that go through it right now, and it is serious. I can really tell you have no idea what you are talking about. It's a police matter? Guy, if it happens at the school, it's also a school and outside school matter. You can't isolate bullying to one department and one avenue of life. Do you know how rare it is that parents even go the legal route to solve physical attacks? Do you even know what happens to these kids once they do? Do you know the statistical impact of cyber bullying with suicide?

No, of course you don't. I bet you don't spend much time talking to these kids every year either to find out what happens and what their lives are like. But you're more than willing to call these kids pansies behind a computer.

Man this is hilarious. Of course I go to real life events. I know kids that go through it right now, and it is serious. I can really tell you have no idea what you are talking about. It's a police matter? Guy, if it happens at the school, it's also a school and outside school matter. You can't isolate bullying to one department and one avenue of life. Do you know how rare it is that parents even go the legal route to solve physical attacks? Do you even know what happens to these kids once they do? Do you know the statistical impact of cyber bullying with suicide?

No, of course you don't.

We are not going to agree on this.

You can allow bullying to continue, while I would stop it right away and have.

Parental involvement needs to happen, not parent to kid, but parent to parent.

Like I said, if the child is assaulted and the parent does nothing, who's fault is that?

We are not going to agree on this.

That's because you're wrong. I'm right and you are wrong. I've got data and a ton of experience to show my point. You are wrong.

You can allow bullying to continue, while I would stop it right away and have.

By telling them that words have no consequences...boo hoo suck it up kid? That's so helpful, guy.

Parental involvement needs to happen, not parent to kid, but parent to parent.

Of course parent involvement needs to happen. Everyone (parents, students, parents to students, teachers to students, etc etc.) has to become involved and accept bullying for what it is instead of pretending it doesn't exist, that it's innocent, and so on. Cyber bullying is real.

It's become more acceptable for adults to claim that online threats and remarks are hurtful, scary, and so on, but damned if a kid can say the same thing. We expect kids to put up with more crap than we'd ever accept an adult to go through without sympathetic comment and outrage. Good God man, every several months on this forum we have people ranting about the online harassment people get for having their political or religious beliefs becoming a target for online threats and harassment. But children who go through it are just a bunch of pansies. They need to suck it up.

Good lord. What sort of sick twisted reality do you people live in where you put vulnerable kids through the gauntlet, but won't subjugate yourselves to that sort of abuse?

Like I said, if the child is assaulted and the parent does nothing, who's fault is that?

You're also presuming that the parent doesn't have to go through school administrators so they can do their investigations too. The fun part is watching schools circle the wagons to undermine the idea that anyone did anything during school hours and a kid just somehow got their facts wrong or that no one saw anything.

Last edited:

I'd rather somebody slug me in the stomach than to say something hurtful to me.

Mental, and emotional pain hurts a lot longer than physical pain. Sticks with you for a long time. My parents were of the type who didn't mind spanking us. And spank us they did. I don't remember any significant spanking that I got, but I remember many, many hurtful things that my parents said to me. You get called names enough, you start to believe them.

That's because you're wrong. I'm right and you are wrong. I've got data and a ton of experience to show my point. You are wrong.

By telling them that words have no consequences...boo hoo suck it up kid? That's so helpful, guy.

Of course parent involvement needs to happen. Everyone (parents, students, parents to students, teachers to students, etc etc.) has to become involved and accept bullying for what it is instead of pretending it doesn't exist, that it's innocent, and so on. Cyber bullying is real.

It's become more acceptable for adults to claim that online threats and remarks are hurtful, scary, and so on, but damned if a kid can say the same thing. We expect kids to put up with more crap than we'd ever accept an adult to go through without sympathetic comment and outrage. Good God man, every several months on this forum we have people ranting about the online harassment people get for having their political or religious beliefs becoming a target for online threats and harassment. But children who go through it are just a bunch of pansies. They need to suck it up.

Good lord. What sort of sick twisted reality do you people live in where you put vulnerable kids through the gauntlet, but won't subjugate yourselves to that sort of abuse?

You're also presuming that the parent doesn't have to go through school administrators so they can do their investigations too. The fun part is watching schools circle the wagons to undermine the idea that anyone did anything during school hours and a kid just somehow got their facts wrong or that no one saw anything.

Are you saying that if your child was beat up, in school or out, you would HAVE TO go to the school first before making the police report?

Why would you even involve the school in a criminal matter. That is for the police to do.

Are you saying that if your child was beat up, in school or out, you would HAVE TO go to the school first before making the police report?

It happened in the schools. The police work with the schools. The schools have bullying policies, and state laws they have to follow. The schools are liable.

Why would you even involve the school in a criminal matter. That is for the police to do.

See above.

It happened in the schools. The police work with the schools. The schools have bullying policies, and state laws they have to follow. The schools are liable.

See above.

Often, schools have their own police departments to handle things like this. My girls' high school does. The school district has it's own police force and they aren't rent-a-cops. They are real police, who go through the police academy just like our city and county cops do. They could transition from one department to the other with no issue, because they all get the same level of training.

Yes, cyberbullying is real and it is a devious/wicked/evil thing to do to someone.

One of the most important things you can teach your kids is that school is temporary and they should never make life altering decisions based on a temporary situation.

Really all I am seeing is people say let's treat children like a victim until proven they can be strong. Seriously is this how the majority of people think nowadays? When I was a kid I was very much into my art, I obsessed over it, and I would go to actual artist and designers and ask them for their honest opinions and they would give me honest opinions that at the time made me cry or be upset with myself. I would have other kids say they didn't really like the art either, and I was just so obsessed with the idea of being an artist that I tried to get comic strips in the school paper only to be told no. All of these instances hurt, but they toughened me up as well. It isn't the same as bullying, but the kind of children that you guys describe I guess would just go jump off a bridge? Kids need toughened up. If we keep raising a society of victims you'll get victims, that blame others for there problems and live with their parents until they are 30 because they can't figure out that life just sometimes sucks.

Maybe you've forgotten the teachers and politicians and judges, to name a few, that have lost their jobs because of such things? Granted they are not teens but the impacts can be the same....it can affect a teen from getting into colleges, for example.

Really all I am seeing is people say let's treat children like a victim until proven they can be strong. Seriously is this how the majority of people think nowadays? When I was a kid I was very much into my art, I obsessed over it, and I would go to actual artist and designers and ask them for their honest opinions and they would give me honest opinions that at the time made me cry or be upset with myself. I would have other kids say they didn't really like the art either, and I was just so obsessed with the idea of being an artist that I tried to get comic strips in the school paper only to be told no. All of these instances hurt, but they toughened me up as well. It isn't the same as bullying, but the kind of children that you guys describe I guess would just go jump off a bridge? Kids need toughened up. If we keep raising a society of victims you'll get victims, that blame others for there problems and live with their parents until they are 30 because they can't figure out that life just sometimes sucks.

Mostly it makes you sound bitter and unsympathetic to other's pain. *I had to deal with it, so you should too.*

So apparently a trans-gender game modder killer him/herself by jumping off a bridge due to people urging him/her to do so thinking that it was all a big ploy to get more attention to their mods. I honestly rolled my eyes at it. It's always bad when someone dies, commits suicide but c'mon. Really? I think my crude sentiment can be best summed up by Tyler the Creator's Tweet:

Sure that is really crude but the guy is straight to the point. It's ridiculous. Your weapon against it is the on/off switch on the back of the computer. The sleep/wake button on top of the iPhone. So not really a political thing, just think it's one of those made up white people problems we have nowadays that end up becoming a thing bigger than it really needs to be. So thoughts?

Bullying in my day is nothing compared to what kids now run into on a daily basis.
What you and I went thru back then is Stone Age tech compared to the new world we all live in

Bullying has evolved since your day. The net, social circles, FB and other media sites, amplify bullying to the nth degree.
It follows you everywhere.
Bullying blamed in death of Nova Scotia teen - The Globe and Mail
Amanda Todd: police alerted to extortion suspect before her suicide - British Columbia - CBC News
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/30/us/30bully.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Mostly it makes you sound bitter and unsympathetic to other's pain. *I had to deal with it, so you should too.*

No I understand it that is why you use previous gained knowledge to help people out in meaningful ways. Not tell them "Hey YOU'RE A VICTIM and you are powerless to stop this there is nothing you can do about that guy on Facebook calling you a slut or a fag nope, nothing at all. You just go to soak it all in and take it over and over again."

Bullying in my day is nothing compared to what kids now run into on a daily basis.
What you and I went thru back then is Stone Age tech compared to the new world we all live in

Bullying has evolved since your day. The net, social circles, FB and other media sites, amplify bullying to the nth degree.
It follows you everywhere.
Bullying blamed in death of Nova Scotia teen - The Globe and Mail
Amanda Todd: police alerted to extortion suspect before her suicide - British Columbia - CBC News
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/30/us/30bully.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

How old do you think I am dude? I got Facebook when you had to be in college to have "the facebook" I've been on Twitter since it started. What ever happened to sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me?

Just an edit, I looked at your links. As I said before, I think people are grouping to many things under cyber-bullying. Rape is umm rape? The girl obviously was traumatized afterwards. As a parent I would have gone to great lengths to stop it, and the fact that a parent (or adult as it says) was in the same house that this all happened shouldn't someone else be charged in this? Like I said, weak parents..

Last edited:
If you get cyber bullied, just switch of your computer. If you get bullied at school, go to a different school. If you get bullied at work, find a different job. If you get bullied by a parent/spouse, move away from them.

I don't understand how people get bullied in any situation when it's so easy to avoid.

It is total BS...'just go somewhere else.' Like a teen has that kind of control over his life or his parents can just afford it.

A couple of days ago, a 16 yr old boy brought a gun to school, ready to kill, and a teacher (coach?) tackled him after he shot it off once. It was because he was being bullied. I dont know if it was cyber-bullying or in person but my guess is both.

Bullying kills others besides those being bullied. The guy with Aspergers that killed all those kids in Newtown was bullied. I think the Littleton teens were too and so have many of those school shooters.

You point out and stop the bullies....they are the ones in the wrong and you should make THEIR parents deal with them and after that point, even hold them accountable. How can responsible parents ignore such behavior in their kids? I would think they'd want to know and to correct their kids, so they'll grow up to be better people.

How old do you think I am dude? I got Facebook when you had to be in college to have "the facebook" I've been on Twitter since it started. What ever happened to sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me?

As you are of such tender years you have time to learn.

Beside the unrelenting torment of a choice epithet, no trial could seem so likely to undo me.

Don't hurt me with your words, brah.

John, the simple fact of the matter is, we treat adults with bubblewrap compared to children. Adults have more protections, more enforcement, and so on with anti-bullying in the workplace than children do in the school system. That's absolutely backwards from they way it should be.

Last edited:
John, the simple fact of the matter is, we treat adults with bubblewrap compared to children. Adults have more protections, more enforcement, and so on with anti-bullying in the workplace than children do in the school system. That's absolutely backwards from they way it should be.

Well if this is the case, then it needs to be rectified. I'm not sure if it is the case or not though.

Well if this is the case, then it needs to be rectified. I'm not sure if it is the case or not though.

Sure it is. While businesses claim to stress having employees address concerns among themselves, it becomes clear to a manager quicker than a school administrator or teacher that bullying is a problem, and then is often a hell of a lot quicker in putting their foot down. Now, public schools over the last ten years have been much quicker than workplaces in putting into place legislation against bullying, but the culture of school bullying is far more tolerated and substantive than the workplace.

That is because we are raising a pathetic generation. I am worried about the outcome of these weak kids that are so intent on what other people say.

I agree. These kids think that these things/words mean soemthing. We just said sticks and stones or told the other kid to **** off.

Back
Top Bottom