• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is Affirmative Action good for Colleges and Universities

OdgenTugbyGlub said:
Having read the two reports now, I would again have to ask, what have you proven?

What you asked me to prove ie that blacks do worse in school than whites and that poor minorities do worse in school than poor whites.

OdgenTugbyGlub said:
Therefore you have seemed to give me evidence that: Inner city schools have a higher dropout rate, and most of the inner city students are black and most of the poor people live in inner city neighboor hoods or close by; all suggesting that socio-economic status is the prime factor contributing to failure rates, not race.

I have provided evidence that blacks make up the majority of the student population in innercity schools, that blacks do worse than whites in those schools, and that poor blacks do worse and have a higher drop-out rate than poor whites.

OdgenTugbyGlub said:

Why don't you read the bottom of page 7 and all of page 8 ;)

I have provided evidence that blacks make up the majority of the student population in innercity schools, that blacks do worse than whites in those schools, and that poor blacks do worse and have a higher drop-out rate than poor whites.

Not so, the statistics in harvard study reflect national drop out rates, since black students make up a majority of the inner city schools their overall drop out rates would be lower than whites due to this fact. You would have to provide inner-city specific surveys in order to prove that point. You are making a false connection using indistinct data.

Why don't you read the bottom of page 7 and all of page 8

Why dont you read it more carefully? It says that teachers can use determine the criteria for awarding points in any way they wish so long as they provide an outline of grading procedure, but must use the given grade scale (100 pt or 4.0) to determine grade. It also states a teacher must give you a grade on how much you participate (in other words an arbitrary grade) and factor this in. It also allows teachers to weight indiviual assignments in any way they wish, but they must still use the given grade scale. As I said before, please dont tell me how my own school system works, I've been in it long enough to know.

OdgenTugbyGlub said:
Not so, the statistics in harvard study reflect national drop out rates, since black students make up a majority of the inner city schools their overall drop out rates would be lower than whites due to this fact. You would have to provide inner-city specific surveys in order to prove that point. You are making a false connection using indistinct data.

And you haven't read the first paragraph of the harvard study. "Statistics show that poor and minority students are at a much higher risk of dropping out of highschool than their white counterparts." later on.."Compared to white students, blacks drop out nearly twice as often as whites."

Here are a whole slew of charts:

http://nces.ed.gov/programs/quarterly/vol_6/1_2/2_1.asp

And you haven't read the first paragraph of the harvard study. "Statistics show that poor and minority students are at a much higher risk of dropping out of highschool than their white counterparts." later on.."Compared to white students, blacks drop out nearly twice as often as whites."

Here are a whole slew of charts

The study is of the NATIONAL average. This is not a study of exclusively urban areas. The first bit you gave ("Statistics show that poor and minority students are at a much higher risk of dropping out of highschool than their white counterparts.") is explained by the fact that white kids are under represented in these poor and urban schools. Once again, the second part can be explained by the disparity between the number of black students in these drop out prone areas and white students in the same areas. The data is not conclusive, and you cannot draw the conclusions you are drawing from this data with any sort of accuracy.

The charts are, again, national averages and as such are not conclusive.

Navy Pride said:
When AA was first instituted it was a needed tool to keep a level playing field but it has long since outlived it usefulness...........I have even heard prominent African Americans say people should be judged by their qualifications not the color of their skin......

AMAZING! A Negro said that!

Back
Top Bottom