• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is a policeman's life worth more than a civilian?

Is a policeman's life worth more than a civilian?

• Yes

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • No

Votes: 22 91.7%

• Total voters

AndrewC

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Why is it that if a cop feels threatened they can open fire, but civilians that are threatened must submit? I respect the job the police do. I understand that it is dangerous. However, why must civilians give up their right to defend themselves. Why must civilians submit to every whim of the police. All the while cops can shoot first and beg for forgiveness later.

Yes it is no joy for a cop when he fires in the line of duty. Yes cops activities are scrutinized, sometimes unfairly. All that does not change the fact that a cop can kill an innocent person and walk away. Their life will be forever changed. They may lose their job. They may suffer depression. They will not suffer as a civilian suffers when they kill an innocent person.

I don't seek the incarceration of cops. I seek fair treatment for lawful civilians. If a cop threatens an law abiding civilian. That civilian should have the same rights as a cop. They should walk when they kill a cop that threatens them without cause. They should walk when a civilian threatens them without cause. Just like some cops do.

Why is it that if a cop feels threatened they can open fire, but civilians that are threatened must submit? I respect the job the police do. I understand that it is dangerous. However, why must civilians give up their right to defend themselves. Why must civilians submit to every whim of the police. All the while cops can shoot first and beg for forgiveness later.

Yes it is no joy for a cop when he fires in the line of duty. Yes cops activities are scrutinized, sometimes unfairly. All that does not change the fact that a cop can kill an innocent person and walk away. Their life will be forever changed. They may lose their job. They may suffer depression. They will not suffer as a civilian suffers when they kill an innocent person.

I don't seek the incarceration of cops. I seek fair treatment for lawful civilians. If a cop threatens an law abiding civilian. That civilian should have the same rights as a cop. They should walk when they kill a cop that threatens them without cause. They should walk when a civilian threatens them without cause. Just like some cops do.

Hey Drew where you goin with that gun in your hand?
Hey Drew,I said where you goin with that gun in your hand?

Alright. I'm goin down to shoot me cop
you know I saw him drawin down on another man.
Yeah,! I'm goin' down to shoot me a policeman
Huh! And that ain't too cool.

Hey Drew, I heard you shot some policeman down
you shot him down
Uh Hey Drew,I heard you shot some policeman down
You shot him down to the ground Yeah

Yes, I did, I shot him
you know I caught him drawing down
shootin 'round town.
Uh, yes I did, I shot him
you know I caught the cop drawin down
And I gave him the gun and I shot him!

Uh Drew where you gonna run to now, where you gonna run to?
Hey Drew I said where you gonna go?
Well dig it I'm going way down south, way down south
way down to mexico way

I'm goin' way down south,
way down where I can be free!
Ain't no one gonna find me babe!

Ain't no hangman gonna,he ain't gonna put a rope around me!
You better belive it right now!
I gotta go now!
Hey, hey, hey Drew
you better run on down!
Goodbye everybody. Ow!

Ya think maybe it might be because they are tasked with maintaining law and order under the authority of some level of government? :roll:

BTW, where in the US do civilians give up their right of self defense?

I voted no because I believe it is a policeman's duty to protect and serve the civilians who employ them, however:

I am a minority, I grew up in DC and have experienced my fair share of authoritarian bad cops who act like douchebags, however these are not the norm.

The majority of police officers I've dealt with in traffic stops, parties and domestic disturbances have been VERY fair and objective, and even forgiving.

I've been given more "warnings" than I ever have been given tickets, and have been given the benefit of the doubt by many Baltimore officers who deal with THE WORST on a daily basis; which is remarkable.

Honestly I have friends on the force, and it has always been their case and my understanding that if you're always honest and candid when dealing with an officer, you'll be given the respect a citizen deserves. However, if you make them feel that their life is in danger, you're a fool and your death will earn my nomination for the Darwin awards.

As long as we live in a nation where we can appeal to courts for our rights, if ever you find yourself dealing with the douchebag officer, just be polite and do what he says, and if you feel your rights have been violated leave that up to the judge.

No citizen should allow their emotions or their ego to insitgate hostility with a police officer, you have nothing to prove or to gain and everything, even your life to lose.

Respect them and they'll respect you, if they don't then deal with it in court; for the bad apples are not nearly as prevalent as movies would suggest. IMO that is.

I voted no because I believe it is a policeman's duty to protect and serve the civilians who employ them, however:

I am a minority, I grew up in DC and have experienced my fair share of authoritarian bad cops who act like douchebags, however these are not the norm.

The majority of police officers I've dealt with in traffic stops, parties and domestic disturbances have been VERY fair and objective, and even forgiving.

I've been given more "warnings" than I ever have been given tickets, and have been given the benefit of the doubt by many Baltimore officers who deal with THE WORST on a daily basis; which is remarkable.

Honestly I have friends on the force, and it has always been their case and my understanding that if you're always honest and candid when dealing with an officer, you'll be given the respect a citizen deserves. However, if you make them feel that their life is in danger, you're a fool and your death will earn my nomination for the Darwin awards.

As long as we live in a nation where we can appeal to courts for our rights, if ever you find yourself dealing with the douchebag officer, just be polite and do what he says, and if you feel your rights have been violated leave that up to the judge.

No citizen should allow their emotions or their ego to insitgate hostility with a police officer, you have nothing to prove or to gain and everything, even your life to lose.

Respect them and they'll respect you, if they don't then deal with it in court; for the bad apples are not nearly as prevalent as movies would suggest. IMO that is.

I understand and agree to a point. For me, when a cop talks to me I'm all yes sir, no sir, yes ma'am, no ma'am. The problem is that just being nice doesn't mean they won't shoot you or beat you or threaten you. I agree that 99.9 percent of police encounters are lawful and very professional.

Still, If you have not committed a crime. If you are obeying the law. A cop or civilian then threatens you. You should be able to defend yourself. Just because it is a cop. Does not mean they will not shoot or kill you. It might be just a mistake on the cops part, but you will be dead just the same.

I understand and agree to a point. For me, when a cop talks to me I'm all yes sir, no sir, yes ma'am, no ma'am. The problem is that just being nice doesn't mean they won't shoot you or beat you or threaten you. I agree that 99.9 percent of police encounters are lawful and very professional.

Still, If you have not committed a crime. If you are obeying the law. A cop or civilian then threatens you. You should be able to defend yourself. Just because it is a cop. Does not mean they will not shoot or kill you. It might be just a mistake on the cops part, but you will be dead just the same.

You are confusing citizen rights with law enforcement authority. We are compelled, as law-abiding citizens, to follow the orders and directions of our law enforcement agencies and the officers who have been given the authority to enforce local, state and national laws.

And just who is gonna prosecute these cops? The same guys they grill out with on Sunday's? The same people they meet in the hallways everyday and say, "How's the family?" to?

Look, in the mind of most of the cops I know, it's "us and them." If you are a civillian, you are one of "them." And if you happen to be a black civillian, you ain't spit to them. (Generally speaking, of course.)

And just who is gonna prosecute these cops? The same guys they grill out with on Sunday's? The same people they meet in the hallways everyday and say, "How's the family?" to?

Look, in the mind of most of the cops I know, it's "us and them." If you are a civillian, you are one of "them." And if you happen to be a black civillian, you ain't spit to them. (Generally speaking, of course.)

So... what do you suggest?

Because of a few... and this really is... just a few.. given the current number of serving police officers. That are corrupt.. you're suggesting.. some kind of vigilante justice on them?

I've had my fair share of run ins with ******* cops... because I'm young, tattooed up and carrying a gun 9 times out of ten. But.. even then I'm still not bitter towards police... they serve a very distinct role in our country.

Also, they're civilians too. :doh

I voted yes for how the question is worded and here's why. If the civilian is being threatening to the cop and/or other civilians, then it is the cop's responsibility to remove that civilian as a threat, even if it is just him that the civilian is threatening. That police officer, along with all those in his department, is entrusted with the protection of all the citizens within his district. If he is killed by a civilian, then that is one less policeman around to protect other civilians, which may lead to more of them being harmed or killed. Now this isn't advocating that cops be given free reign to kill anyone they believe is a threat. I just don't think the vast majority of cops kill indiscriminately.

And as far as the cop doesn't get treated the same as civilians for killing someone, I believe that depends on the results of a shooting inquiry conducted by the city. I'm pretty sure that if the cop is found to have killed someone without a possible belief that the person would have caused harm to him or someone else, then the policeman could face charges.

Just yesterday I saw a news article that said an offduty policeman was shot and killed by a fellow policeman during a barroom brawl because he pulled a gun and did not identify himself as a policeofficer. The officer who shot him didn't know who he was, and had already tasered him before pulling his gun.

A policeman's life is not worth more than a civilians.

However it is understood that a police officer's life is in danger presumably far more than a civilians. They are also trained to understand and evaluate the level of danger in any given situation. When they die in the line of duty there's generally more fanfare as they're viewed, rightly so, as heroes of sort.

The problem is that just being nice doesn't mean they won't shoot you or beat you or threaten you. I agree that 99.9 percent of police encounters are lawful and very professional.

You can't be sure that a lawyer won't beat you or shoot you either. Doctors either. Hell, Catholic priests do lots of...nevermind. Bad example.

For every cop I'm afraid of, there are tens of thousands of non-cops I'm afraid of even more.

The entire concept of a policeman (or fireman, or soldier) is that they're willing to devalue their lives for the safety of others- it's why we consider their professions so noble.

Not enough info..........Did the civilian commit a crime?

The entire concept of a policeman (or fireman, or soldier) is that they're willing to devalue their lives for the safety of others- it's why we consider their professions so noble.

Good post, but there wasn't a joke in it. I'm a little disappointed in you.

On Topic:

I think both officer's civilians lives are equal in worth, its not as if a job makes one better than someone else. Police do risk their lives on the job though and are given protections that help preserve their lives that a regular citizen does not need.

You can't be sure that a lawyer won't beat you or shoot you either. Doctors either. Hell, Catholic priests do lots of...nevermind. Bad example.

For every cop I'm afraid of, there are tens of thousands of non-cops I'm afraid of even more.

Yeah, I've had far more difficult and dangerous encounters with folks who aren't cops.

Cops don't scare me. I can't really imagine a situation where I would be running away from a cop. However, I can imagine craploads of situations where I would run away from civilians and TO a cop.

Technically.. they're *both* civilians buddy.

I ain't your buddy, and it depends how one defines civilian......Evidently the OP for the purpose of this thread says they are...........

I ain't your buddy, and it depends how one defines civilian......Evidently the OP for the purpose of this thread says they are...........

No, really... cops, firefighters, and EMTs.. they're all civilians my right wing fascist friend.

It doesn't matter how *you* define them. You're not the one in charge of the definitions in this country.

No, really... cops, firefighters, and EMTs.. they're all civilians my right wing fascist friend.

It doesn't matter how *you* define them. You're not the one in charge of the definitions in this country.
Why are you being an AH? NP was just responding to the OP. :roll:

Good point.

I don't expect just any guy to respond to a brush fire, grab the hose and charge into it risking his life for some homes... but we do it, and it is the prior knowledge and expectance of danger that makes cops, firemen and soldiers the ones that should die before somebody else since we are trained and they are not.

Does it make the life worth more? Heck no... but that life should be honored and respected for their willingness to do a deed that others would never do in a million years. Same goes with just some random hero that jumps into a swift river to save a little kid getting swept away, knowing full well that he may have just forfeited his life attempting to save another... cops and firmen and soldiers routinely get in the way of danger to save innocent people. Just how it goes.

I voted no on the poll.
Police are still civilians too, and I STRONGLY disagree with the lack of intelligence in such posts as Captain America's post. If there was a "Boo" Thumbs down button on this place, I would have clicked it for that post.

Anyways, something I figured I would respond to....

I'd like you to elaborate on your definition of "devalue" in regards to this comment. Im not certain I agree with what you mean, if my assumptions are correct based upon past comments you have made in other threads in regards to the risks police officers take, or should take.

-
I have read and heard where it states that the police are not there to 'protect and serve the people'.
They are there to 'uphold the law'.

Hey Drew where you goin with that gun in your hand?
Hey Drew,I said where you goin with that gun in your hand?

Alright. I'm goin down to shoot me cop
Yeah,! I'm goin' down to shoot me a policeman
Huh! And that ain't too cool.

Hey Drew, I heard you shot some policeman down
you shot him down
Uh Hey Drew,I heard you shot some policeman down
You shot him down to the ground Yeah

Yes, I did, I shot him
you know I caught him drawing down
shootin 'round town.
Uh, yes I did, I shot him
you know I caught the cop drawin down
And I gave him the gun and I shot him!

Uh Drew where you gonna run to now, where you gonna run to?
Hey Drew I said where you gonna go?
Well dig it I'm going way down south, way down south
way down to mexico way

I'm goin' way down south,
way down where I can be free!
Ain't no one gonna find me babe!

Ain't no hangman gonna,he ain't gonna put a rope around me!
You better belive it right now!
I gotta go now!
Hey, hey, hey Drew
you better run on down!
Goodbye everybody. Ow!

"Crack Rock Steady,
are you ready to stop
the rotten blue menace?
Let's go kill us a cop.
Crack Rock Steady,
are you ready?
Living above the law.

Po' little lice, the po' little screws,
the whitest gang crew, the hated boys in blue.
Like scabies on the street, they infest the beat,
****ing up my life but I won't admit defeat to them
Above the law, above the law, come now,
No piggie will be safe till they are dead and done now.
Let's lay em down low, let's hang em up high,
Let's take all of these piggies, and have them crucified!

Hardcore, rugged and raw,
on the streets of New York, we live above the ****ing law.
It don't matter the color of your skin,
as long as you're not scandalous, commit no sin to me
or my tribe.
Would not be wise.
Time to smell the ganja, open up your ****ing eyes.
Step back, keep your attitude in check,
and give the crack rock steady much respect.

Don't ya know that satan is the man?
So listen very close because we got a little plan:
We're gonna have to execute some rich important people,
gonna burn down all the churches and topple all the steeples.
See a frown? turn that cross upside down.
Grab a gun or baseball bat, let's go to ****ing town!
Let's kill the police, I'll be saying little more,
But when the cops come to your door,
don't forget the choice is yours."

- Choking Victim

Good thing to teach your kids if you are looking to collect on their life insurance. :roll:

Good thing to teach your kids if you are looking to collect on their life insurance. :roll:

If so, they'd likely be the first kids ever to drop dead of song lyrics.
Hmm... death by ska.

Back
Top Bottom