• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Iraq: Doomed to failure!! Oh... wait...

galenrox said:
Right, and it doesn't strike you as even the slightest bit odd that the only people who've admitted to seeing this memo are the people who stand to gain from the existance and merit of this memo? It doesn't make you think "Oh, well, that's not really a reputable source" at all?
Yeah, the Feith memo has got to be true, maaaaaaan.

Lookie here:
Following Rumsfeld's admission that he had created his own parallel intelligence and analysis team, the SSCI demanded that Feith submit a classified report, detailing the findings of the unit. Feith stalled for months, but finally produced a 16-page memo, citing 50 itemized instances where the PCTEG had found intelligence citations of the Saddam/al-Qaeda links.

That Oct. 27, 2003 memo was not just passed to Senators Pat Roberts (R-Kan.) and Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.), the ranking members of the SSCI. It was promptly leaked to Stephen F. Hayes, a reporter for the neo-con Weekly Standard, who was, according to intelligence community sources, then working on a book on Saddam's alleged ties to the 9/11 attacks.
Yeah, because classified reports should go to book writers and not congressmen. :roll:

I'm not standing in a cow pasture but I sure can smell the bull*****.

galenrox said:
- People who've heard all of the reports by all of the bipartisan experts, including people who Bush has employed in his administration, coming out and saying that this war was started under false pretences
- People who believe that this was the wrong time to be going to war with a nation which, at the time, had no connection with the war on terror, and are a little ticked off that we got the guy who had just about nothing to do with 9/11, but we're still yet to find Bin Laden
- People who are upset about how much they were decieved in the buildup to the war, and think that since the intelligence used to justify the war was wrong the war isn't justified
I covered these:

-Partisan pacifists who oppose the war because it is led by the other party;
-Neo-Isolationists that don't think the US has any business 'meddling' in the affairs of other countries, regardless of the argument for doing so;
-The willfully ignorant/stupid, who have no idea of what is actually going on and have no motivation to educate themselves; they simply go along with the anti-war crowd because it’s easier than actually forming their own opinion.

Last edited:
Trajan Octavian Titus said:
History has proven that counter insurgency operations can be successful ie Columbia and the defeat of the Medaean Cartel, it just takes time and resolve.
Hmmmm. Is your example also valid for the FARC?

Didn't think so..

Y

galenrox said:
Right, and it doesn't strike you as even the slightest bit odd that the only people who've admitted to seeing this memo are the people who stand to gain from the existance and merit of this memo? It doesn't make you think "Oh, well, that's not really a reputable source" at all?

No it stops and makes me think why is the Feith memo classified? It's classified to protect high ranking agents we have planted in the field which is (I think) more important than the publics right to know.

I'm not to worried about the 06 elections, the support for the president is down but the support for Democrats is even lower.
And with excellent reasons, if you want the opinion of a non-USer.

Y

No it stops and makes me think why is the Feith memo classified? It's classified to protect high ranking agents we have planted in the field which is (I think) more important than the publics right to know.
Oh, is that why it went to the Weekly Standard instead?

It was leaked and the DOD was pissed off about it.
It wasn't just leaked, it was purposefully given to the Weekly Standard. Considering the confidential nature of these allegations, shouldn't Feith be brought up on treason?

shuamort said:
It wasn't just leaked, it was purposefully given to the Weekly Standard. Considering the confidential nature of these allegations, shouldn't Feith be brought up on treason?

lol you're kidding right? I got one for you shouldn't the people who leaked the CIA secret prisons info be brought up on charges of treason?

Gitdog said:
Well Hello all, I'm new here.
I just recently got out of the Navy, where I worked in the intelligence community. I can tell you that there was a Iraq=Al Qaeda connection before the war and unless you live another 70 years you will never see the documents that have the hard proof.

Thank you for your service shipmate and welcome to the forum......The democrats are in a state of denial when they say their was no connection between Iraq and Al Qaeda....Hell the even found the fuselage of a 747 buried in the sand in the desert that was used to train terrorists.......Its all smoking mirrors and left wing spin......They think that if they say it enough someone will believe it........Problem is the only one drinking the koolaid are left wingers.....Moderates and Conservatives are way to smart to buy that crap.......

lol you're kidding right? I got one for you shouldn't the people who leaked the CIA secret prisons info be brought up on charges of treason?
No. Why is a person creating confidential US documents giving them to the press instead of what he was assigned to do?

Navy Pride said:
Thank you for your service shipmate and welcome to the forum......The democrats are in a state of denial when they say their was no connection between Iraq and Al Qaeda....Hell the even found the fuselage of a 747 buried in the sand in the desert that was used to train terrorists.......Its all smoking mirrors and left wing spin......They think that if they say it enough someone will believe it........Problem is the only one drinking the koolaid are left wingers.....Moderates and Conservatives are way to smart to buy that crap.......

"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda." —George W. Bush, Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

Gibberish said:
"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda." —George W. Bush, Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

Nice try but why don't you rebutt what I said about the 747 fuselage that was buried in the sands of Iraq........

Never mind..........you can't do it..........

Are you talking about the MiG fighter that was 30 years old and possibly buried in the sand? Because that had no connections to "terrorist training". Oh, and you TOTALLY got served about propaganda. :rofl
mig25a.jpg

Are you talking about the MiG fighter that was 30 years old and possibly buried in the sand? Because that had no connections to "terrorist training". Oh, and you TOTALLY got served about propaganda. :rofl
mig25a.jpg

shuamort said:
mig25a.jpg

Wow, a liberal using NEWSMAX as a link..That has to be a firss:roll: . No I am talking about the fuselage of the jet passenger plane they found burtied there.........

Navy Pride said:
Nice try but why don't you rebutt what I said about the 747 fuselage that was buried in the sands of Iraq........

Never mind..........you can't do it..........

Salman Pak? What did US intellegence conclude about whether it was a terrorist training facility after capturing and examining it?

Salman Pak links:

GlobalSecurity.org

NationalReview said this:

The rusted shell of an old passenger jet sat out in a field, its tail broken off," an Associated Press dispatch reported Sunday. "Good for hijacking practice, U.S. Marines speculated Sunday as they examined an Iraqi training base about 30 kilometers (20 miles) south of Baghdad."

Nessman added: "The passenger plane's sun-bleached fuselage lay alone in a large, barren field. A fire engine sat at one intersection. Elsewhere, the twisted metal wreck of a double-decker bus stood near three decrepit green and red train cars." These latter details bolster charges that Salman Pak also showed terrorists how to seize buses and trains.

The Marines shelled then entered Salman Pak — named after a 7th Century Persian convert to Islam who was the prophet Mohammed's barber — after it was discussed by Egyptian and Sudanese fighters caught elsewhere in Iraq.

As the U.S. Army's stoic and crisp Brigadier General Vincent Brooks told reporters Sunday, "The nature of the work being done by some of those people that we captured, their inferences to the type of training that they received, all of these things give us the impression that there was terrorist training that was conducted at Salman Pak."

PBS link, where, when questioned about the purpose of Saddam's fighters training at Salman Pak, an interviewee said this:

For what purpose?

... It has been said openly in the media and even to us, from the highest command, that the purpose of establishing Saddam's fighters is to attack American targets and American interests. This is known. There's no doubt about it.

All this training is directed towards attacking American targets, and American interests. The training does not only include hijacking of planes and sabotage. ... Some other people were trained to do parachuting. Some other areas were training on how to penetrate enemy lines and get information from behind enemy lines. But it's all for the general concept of hitting and attacking American targets and American interests.

And this...

That was your reaction on September 11 -- that some of these people might be involved?

I assure you, this operation was conducted by people who were trained by Saddam. And I'm going to keep assuring the world this is what happened.

Osama bin Laden has no such capabilities. Why? Because this kind of attacks must be, and has to be, organized by a capable state, such as Iraq; a state where they can provide high level of training, and they can provide high level of intelligence to do such training.

How could Osama bin Laden -- who's hiding in the middle of nowhere in Afghanistan in small caves and valleys -- train people and gather information and send people to do such high-level operation? We all know this is a high-level operation. This cannot be done by a person who does not even own a plane in Afghanistan, who cannot offer such training in Afghanistan. This is definitely done by a mastermind like Saddam. ...

...disclaimer: I have no clue as to the veracity of this guy being interviewed. Never heard of him, before or since. Make up your own minds.

wikipedia link...

There are a lot more links, just google "Salman Pak".

oldreliable67 said:

Pre-war. Yes, there are lots of stuff about how Salmon Pak was a terrorist training camp, before the invasion.

NationalReview said this:

This is a report upon the initial seizure of the camp. The claim that it was a terrorist training camp was based on pre-war intellegence (and we know how accurate that was) that this was a terrorist training based again based on pre-war assessments.

But they were looking ....

"We're trying to find anything of intel value, to see how they train and possibly their terrorist tactics," Gunnery Sergeant Scott Stalker — the 7th Marines' 28-year-old intelligence chief from Baypoint, California — told the AP.

So we should find later reports of the evidence they found at the camp showing it was used to train terrorists, right? After all, proof that Hussein trained foreign terrorists would be justification for the war, based on Hussein being a terrorist supporting state.

PBS link, where, when questioned about the purpose of Saddam's fighters training at Salman Pak, an interviewee said this:

Pre-war statements of an ex-pat, obviously biased against Saddam. We know how accurate their intel has been.

And this...

Repitition of the same; claims of Iraqi ex-pats.

...disclaimer: I have no clue as to the veracity of this guy being interviewed. Never heard of him, before or since. Make up your own minds.

There are a lot more links, just google "Salman Pak".

I have done this, because if it was verified this was a terrorist training facility, it would support the basis for the invasion. There are tons of stuff about pre-war claims about the Salmon Pak and that it was a terrorist training site. And there are a few articles from April 2003, right when the marines took it. After that .... *poof* almost nothing. Where were the articles with pictures and documents and evidence of all the terrorist training that supposedly went on there?

After spending a couple hours wading through the stuff one time, I found these reports:

In fact, though some U.S. intelligence officials before the U.S. invasion believed Hussein was training terrorists at Salman Pak, The New Yorker's Seymour M. Hersh -- an investigative reporter and frequent O'Reilly Factor guest -- reported in the May 12, 2003, New Yorker that Salman Pak was probably a counter-terrorism training center built in the 1980s with U.S. support:

In separate interviews with me, however, a former C.I.A. station chief and a former military intelligence analyst said that the camp near Salman Pak had been built not for terrorism training but for counter-terrorism training. ...

[Hersh then explained the differences between terrorist and counter-terrorist training and evidence for the conclusion about Salman Pak.]

Salman Pak was overrun by American troops on April 6, 2003. Apparently, neither the camp nor the former biological facility has yielded evidence to substantiate the claims made before the war.

On March 2, 2004, Warren P. Strobel, Jonathan S. Landay, and John Walcott of Knight Ridder's Washington bureau reported the same thing: "Iraqi defectors alleged that Saddam's regime was helping to train Iraqi and non-Iraqi Arab terrorists at a site called Salman Pak, south of Baghdad. The allegation made it into a September 2002 white paper that the White House issued. The U.S. military has found no evidence of such a facility."

http://mediamatters.org/items/200409280011

Salman Pak, a facility matching al-Janabi’s description, was captured by US Marines in Mid April of 2003 [82], but no evidence of al Qaeda presence at the camp has been found. Some claim that the camp was actually a counterterrorism facility built by the British in the mid 1980's but UN weapons inspectors, including Charles Duelfer believed it had been converted from its original purpose and was being used to train militants. [83] Inconsistencies in the stories of the Iraqi defectors have led U.S. officials, journalists, and investigators to conclude that the Salman Pak story was inaccurate. Al-Janabi and other Iraqi defectors who tell this story are associated with the Iraqi National Congress, an organization that has been accused of deliberately supplying false information to the US government in order to build support for regime change ([84]). "The INC’s agenda was to get us into a war," said Helen Kennedy of the New York Daily News. "The really damaging stories all came from those guys, not the CIA. They did a really sophisticated job of getting it out there."[85] One senior U.S. official said that they had found "nothing to substantiate" the claim that al-Qaeda trained at Salman Pak.[86]

http://www.1-electric.com/articles/2003_invasion_of_Iraq

In a chapter entitled "Saddam Hussein’s Support for International Terrorism," the White House paper claimed that, "Former Iraqi military officers have described a highly secret terrorist training facility in Iraq known as Salman Pak, where both Iraqis and non-Iraqi Arabs receive training on hijacking planes and trains, planting explosives in cities, sabotage, and assassinations." This allegation came from two INC-supplied defectors, Sabah Khalifa Khodada Alami, a former Iraqi army captain, and Brig. Gen. Abu Zeinab al Quairy, the purported commander of the training facility. Both men were rejected as unreliable by U.S. intelligence professionals. Nevertheless, the White House published their claims. Their claims, including suggestions that the September 11 hijackers may have been trained at the alleged facility, also appeared in the American and British media. After the invasion, the only training facility found at Salman Pak was determined by U.S. officials to have been used by Iraqi counter-terrorism units.

http://www.basicint.org/iraq_update.htm

I don't vouch of the accuracy of these claim, either. On the other hand, I found nothing the contradicts them. Maybe you can.

shuamort said:
No. Why is a person creating confidential US documents giving them to the press instead of what he was assigned to do?

Who says Feith leaked the memos, and why are people creating confidential CIA documents and giving them to the Washington post instead of doing what they're supposed to do? hmm, have you decided that you can't argue the veracity of the Weekly Standard article and so now you have to shift the goal posts from there was no Iraqi-AlQaeda connection to oh there was but we shouldn't know about it because it's confidential and because it was leaked it's meaningless?

give me a break.

Iraq-AlQaeda connection part two complete with DOD confirmation and Pentagon verification of the veracity of the original story:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/003/396hflxy.asp?pg=1

Last edited:
Very interesting. It was a 707, not a 747, but still.

"Seymour Hersh, writing in the New Yorker, reported that he spoke separately to "a former C.I.A. station chief and a former military intelligence analyst" and both said that the camp had been built with the assistance of the United Kingdom's MI6 in the late 1980s "not for terrorism training but for counter-terrorism training." The former CIA official thought it unlikely that a plane would be required for training in hijacking, but that "to take one back you have to practice on the real thing." In November 2001 Charles Duelfer, then an UNSCOM weapons inspector, also said that Iraqi officials also claimed that the facility was for counterterrorism, but after witnessing the drills performed there he “automatically took out the word 'counter'’” dismissing the claim as an obvious fraud.

On April 6, 2003, CENTCOM spokesman, Brig. Gen. Vincent Brooks, told reporters that the Iraqis defending the camp were not run of the mill soldiers. "The nature of the work being done by some of those people we captured, their inferences about the type of training they received, all these things give us the impression that there is terrorist training that was conducted at Salman Pak.". Brooks also added that "some of them come from Sudan, some from Egypt, some from other places . . . It reinforces the likelihood of links between this regime and external terrorist organizations,""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salman_Pak_facility

The Feith memo seems to consist mainly of meetings between al'Qaeda operatives and Iraqi intelligence. I would imagine it's pretty hard to determine what came from each of these meetings, but if all those reports are true then it seems to *infer* a colaboration on some level. But it also infers that Qatar has ties with al'Qaeda:

"9 . . . Bin Laden visited Doha, Qatar (17-19 Jan. 1996), staying at the residence of a member of the Qatari ruling family."

I wonder how to put this in perspective. How many other governments had the same kind of "ties" with al'Qaeda before 9/11? Is it reasonable to single out Iraq based on these?

And Gitmodog, do you believe everything you saw was 100% accurate from the origional source? Did you see reports before or after they were analyzed and accreditted by other intelligence agencies?

Who says Feith leaked the memos, and why are people creating confidential CIA documents and giving them to the Washington post instead of doing what they're supposed to do? hmm, have you decided that you can't argue the veracity of the Weekly Standard article and so now you have to shift the goal posts from there was no Iraqi-AlQaeda connection to oh there was but we shouldn't know about it because it's confidential and because it was leaked it's meaningless?
Who says Feith leaked the memo? Well, the article I quoted did. You have an article to counter that or not? I've moved on to treason because most likely, if an article like that was leaked to a crappy newsource like the Weekly Standard, it's most likely detached from reality. Of course, you seem to be thinking it's gold when it's most likely, the Golden Bough here. The Feith Memo was given to the Weekly Standard a couple years ago and the 9/11 Commission decided to just ignore it completely? Hmm.

Moreover:
The CIA, which collected most of the raw intelligence Feith cites, remains unconvinced, and for good reason. The case is thin, and is contradicted by high-level Iraqi sources.

Iraq-AlQaeda connection part two complete with DOD confirmation and Pentagon verification of the veracity of the original story:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/003/396hflxy.asp?pg=1
Verification? Did you read the article you're citing here?

News reports that the Defense Department recently confirmed new information with respect to contacts between al Qaeda and Iraq in a letter to the Senate Intelligence Committee are inaccurate."

The statement didn't specify the "inaccurate" news reports, but most observers have inferred that the main report in question was an article in the most recent issue of THE WEEKLY STANDARD
That's some good news digging. If a news source I'm reading is inferring things about what was said, it's no longer an article, it's an OP-ED piece. On top of that, let's just say the inferrence is true, then it totally negates the Weekly Standard's claim that the Feith Memo is accurate.

Hoot said:
Just about everything.

For me you missed the fact that some of us do not believe the United States should attack and invade a nation that never attacked us. Also, we resent the deliberate distortion of the facts as presented to Congress and the American people by this administration....both before, and during this war.

Does that include Germany?
The only country that has ever attacked us is japan. So what you seem to be saying is everything else we have done other then that was wrong and served no good purpose for us or others around the world? And that we should essentially become isolationist unless a threat appears on our soil. And exacutions, mass graves, rape room, genocide should all be ignored until or unless it finds it's way to our shores. So the strong survive and the weak get screwed.... OK.. I'm all for that were the strongest so we don't have a problem.. The rest however are bit screwed

shuamort said:
Who says Feith leaked the memo? Well, the article I quoted did. You have an article to counter that or not? I've moved on to treason because most likely, if an article like that was leaked to a crappy newsource like the Weekly Standard, it's most likely detached from reality. Of course, you seem to be thinking it's gold when it's most likely, the Golden Bough here. The Feith Memo was given to the Weekly Standard a couple years ago and the 9/11 Commission decided to just ignore it completely? Hmm.

Moreover:
The CIA, which collected most of the raw intelligence Feith cites, remains unconvinced, and for good reason. The case is thin, and is contradicted by high-level Iraqi sources.

Verification? Did you read the article you're citing here?

That's some good news digging. If a news source I'm reading is inferring things about what was said, it's no longer an article, it's an OP-ED piece. On top of that, let's just say the inferrence is true, then it totally negates the Weekly Standard's claim that the Feith Memo is accurate.

DoD Statement on News Reports of Al Qaeda and Iraq Connections​

News reports that the Defense Department recently confirmed new information with respect to contacts between al Qaeda and Iraq in a letter to the Senate Intelligence Committee are inaccurate.

Read this part carefully it never actually says that the Feith memo was inaccurate all it says is that the news reports that confirmed the Feith memo were inaccurate.

A letter was sent to the Senate Intelligence Committee on Oct. 27, 2003, from Douglas J. Feith, under secretary of defense for policy, in response to follow-up questions from his July 10 testimony. One of the questions posed by the committee asked the department to provide the reports from the intelligence community to which he referred in his testimony before the committee. These reports dealt with the relationship between Iraq and al Qaeda.

The letter to the committee included a classified annex containing a list and description of the requested reports, so that the committee could obtain the reports from the relevant members of the intelligence community.

The items listed in the classified annex were either raw reports or products of the CIA, the National Security Agency or, in one case, the Defense Intelligence Agency. The provision of the classified annex to the Intelligence Committee was cleared by other agencies and done with the permission of the intelligence community. The selection of the documents was made by DoD to respond to the committee’s question. The classified annex was not an analysis of the substantive issue of the relationship between Iraq and al Qaeda, and it drew no conclusions.

Individuals who leak or purport to leak classified information are doing serious harm to national security; such activity is deplorable and may be illegal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KCConservative said:
Baseless opinions, all. But we are used to your posts.

What you don't get is that we are used to your posts too. We know that conservatives are frauds and greed and domination of minds with lies is your game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom