• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Iraq: Doomed to failure!! Oh... wait...

Iriemon said:
And Bushc will not be pinned down to a date US will withdraw for his own political benefit.

How do you know that the plan for withdrawl is not already in place, maybe the president is just smart enough to not announce the date so as not to bolster the resolve of the insurgency.

Iriemon said:
And Bushc will not be pinned down to a date US will withdraw for his own political benefit.
:rofl

Which makes people like you as bad as you make Bush out to be.

:rofl

Iriemon said:

Winning the war benefits the right.

Losing the war benefits the left.

Hmm... :roll:

Withdrawl is not an option until the Iraqi government and military can stand on their own 2 feet.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
History has proven that counter insurgency operations can be successful ie Columbia and the defeat of the Medaean Cartel, it just takes time and resolve.

The Russian effort against the insurgency in Afganistan and the US effort againt insurgency in Vietnam are other recent examples.

Iriemon said:
The Russian effort against the insurgency in Afganistan and the US effort againt insurgency in Vietnam are other recent examples.

Yes, our pulling out of Vietnam and the disaster that followed in that region is an example we should learn from.

Iriemon said:

Yes and the reason why the counter insurgency in Vietnam failed is because the American populace lacked a strong resolve.

How do you know that the plan for withdrawl is not already in place, maybe the president is just smart enough to not announce the date so as not to bolster the resolve of the insurgency.

I am sure they have considered this. Could be that is the plan. I am sure that those in his own party are putting a lot of pressure on the WH to show progress, and they do not relish elections in 2006 and beyond with the status quo in Iraq.

Bush has a dilemma -- if he withdraws the troops and Iraq falls into civil war or ends up with a radical government, he will (rightly) be blamed. If he does not withdraw the troops, the Republicans will pay for it in the elections.

What they will do before the 2006 elections is tell everyone that things are going great, and announce the first phase of withdrawals, a token number, so that Republicans can show how progress is being made. Same thing will happen before the 2008 elections, and will hear how, despite the continuing insurgency, thinks are much better, the terrorists have been defeated, and Iraq is on the way to being a pro-US government.

Yes and the reason why the counter insurgency in Vietnam failed is because the American populace lacked a strong resolve.

As they do for any long term BS committment of forces. You'd have thought that someone would have been paying attention in Vietnam.

Iriemon said:
I am sure they have considered this. Could be that is the plan. I am sure that those in his own party are putting a lot of pressure on the WH to show progress, and they do not relish elections in 2006 and beyond with the status quo in Iraq.

Bush has a dilemma -- if he withdraws the troops and Iraq falls into civil war or ends up with a radical government, he will (rightly) be blamed. If he does not withdraw the troops, the Republicans will pay for it in the elections.

What they will do before the 2006 elections is tell everyone that things are going great, and announce the first phase of withdrawals, a token number, so that Republicans can show how progress is being made. Same thing will happen before the 2008 elections, and will hear how, despite the continuing insurgency, thinks are much better, the terrorists have been fdefeated, and Iraq is on the way to being a pro-US government.

I'm not to worried about the 06 elections, the support for the president is down but the support for Democrats is even lower.

We left vietnam.... How soon after did they start executing people..... Boy that was a good idea.
If we can get the dems there way. We can leave Iraq and have 100,000 people exacuted by the insurgency. Sounds like a great democratic exit plan to me.....

Calm2Chaos said:
We left vietnam.... How soon after did they start executing people..... Boy that was a good idea.
If we can get the dems there way. We can leave Iraq and have 100,000 people exacuted by the insurgency. Sounds like a great democratic exit plan to me.....

It is the American armed Kurds and Shiites that will probably do most the killing. Giving our recent history in these matters, I'd say there is at least a 50% chance we will be fighting against guys we've been giving weapons to within the next 5 years.

Iriemon said:
It is the American armed Kurds and Shiites that will probably do most the killing. Giving our recent history in these matters, I'd say there is at least a 50% chance we will be fighting against guys we've been giving weapons to within the next 5 years.

I'll take that bet.

We still have troops in Germany, Japan, South Korea, etc, etc.

We have troops there to defend those countries from other countries. Not to prop up the government.

Iriemon said:
We have troops there to defend those countries from other countries. Not to prop up the government.

Right, we already propped up their governments and they're doing damn well I might add.

Iriemon said:

Actually they are weapons they already had, AK-47's. From Russia who along with France and Germany armed Saddam. Not the USA.

tecoyah u r right m8,but can the admin of the US say the same or the rest of this forum.Just a pity they cant see the way as u do,maybe there brains
R mixed up.

regards mikeey

mikeey said:
tecoyah u r right m8,but can the admin of the US say the same or the rest of this forum.Just a pity they cant see the way as u do,maybe there brains
R mixed up.

regards mikeey

Um... what?

Day 1000 of the war

Newspaper Marks 1000 Days of Iraq War with Key Stats

By E&P Staff

Published: December 13, 2005 10:30 AM ET

NEW YORK To mark what it called the "1000 Days" of the Iraq war, the London daily The Independent offered extensive coverage today, featuring a by-the-numbers approach.

Here are some of their calculations:

$204.4 billion: The cost to the U.S of the war so far.

2,339: Allied troops killed

15,955: US troops wounded in action

98: U.K troops killed

30,000 : Estimated Iraqi civilian deaths

0: Number of WMDs found

66: Journalists killed in Iraq.

63: Journalists killed during Vietnam war

8: per cent of Iraqi children suffering acute malnutrition

53,470: Iraqi insurgents killed

67: per cent Iraqis who feel less secure because of occupation

$343: Average monthly salary for an Iraqi soldier. Average monthly salary for an American soldier in Iraq: $4,160.75

5: foreign civilians kidnapped per month

47: per cent Iraqis who never have enough electricity

20: casualties per month from unexploded mines

25-40: per cent Estimated unemployment rate, Nov 2005

251: Foreigners kidnapped

70: per cent of Iraqi's whose sewage system rarely works

183,000: British and American troops are still in action in Iraq.

13,000: from other nations

90: Daily attacks by insurgents in Nov '05. In Jun '03: 8

60-80: per cent Iraqis who are "strongly opposed" to presence of coalition troops
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001659215

Re: Day 1000 of the war

M14 Shooter said:
Was there a point to all that, or...?

I guess to show that people have died, continue to die, and Iraqi's living situations are not equal to American's living situations.

It's war, what do people expect IRAQ to be like? Flowers and parades?

Gibberish said:
I guess to show that people have died, continue to die, and Iraqi's living situations are not equal to American's living situations.

It's war, what do people expect IRAQ to be like? Flowers and parades?

I noticed it didn't mention the number of mass graves found or the number of free Iraqis...

Got a number for those that voted for the first time in their lives this year?...

53,470: Iraqi insurgents killed
v 2339 "allied" soldiers.
One must wonder why the Arab press doesnt call their effort a 'quagmire'...?

Back
Top Bottom