• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

International Aid for America

Arch Enemy said:
and of course without any facts, you assume that Maquetia is a "small village"?
Well if you mean Maiquetia Venezuela, it's pop is about 52,000 so relative to New Orleans 500,000 in town, 1.3 mil metro area - it's kinda small.

I thinks it's also a little dishonest to portray Americans as not willing to help and feeding off their misfortunes. The state of Texas has mounted a herculean effort to help out New Orleans residents. Sprint Nextel has donated thousands of two-way radiophones. Qwest Communications donated $230,000 to the American Red Cross to train rescue volunteers and is sending 2,000 calling cards so those affected can contact friends and family. Comcast donated $10 million dollars in advertising time for public service announcements. Intel Foundation is donating $1 million to the Red Cross and will match employee donations. Lance Armstrong donated $500,000 to help cancer patients displaced by Hurricane Katrina get treatment. the Senate approved $10.5 billion in immediate aid last Thursday to help victims of Hurricane Katrina. Relief organizations are recieving millions from private citizens and I donated $1,000 myself.

This is just the tip of the iceberg as I could go on and on listing donations of money, materials and time coming from all over the U.S.

I would also say that we (the U.S.) was unprepared to handle a disaster of this magnitude so the first 3 days were handled rather poorly. It was a logistical nightmare that the Governor, the Mayor and the US govt should have had a contingency plan for.
I guess sometimes we have to learn the hard way.

Bergslagstroll said:
Sorry this seem to be the biggest natural catastrophe in America history so you seemed to need help. Basicly USA should get help then you ask for it. And it also seem like many country would like to help that is great. My earlier point was just that you as a huge country with 300 millions can take care of catastrophe much better then small countries, at the same time you are much more unifed union then the EU.

We are indeed a MORE unfied union in comparison to the EU. However, our union has never exactly been united. Cultural differences between the North and South have always been of huge concern. No matter how you slice it, at almost every time in our nation's history, the North and South have been at polar opposites. But, we've managed for the most part... besides of course the Civil War.

Arch Enemy said:
Why is it that when a devastating event in America happens, we don't get much offers for Aid from other countries. Yet when other countries are hit, everyone helps?

I'm not trying to put anyone down. I'm just trying to see if this is due to the "America's the greatest" mentality.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20050905/ca_pr_on_na/katrina_cda_aid

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050902/wl_canada_nm/canada_weather_usa_canada_col_4

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050902/wl_canada_nm/canada_weather_usa_canada_col_2

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/cpress/20050902/ca_pr_on_na/cda_oil_aid_2

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050902/wl_canada_nm/canada_weather_usa_canada_col_1

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050904/to277.html?.v=12

Well, You get the picture. For the record: America is anything but alone on this. Canada will always be there to help out American citisens when they are in trouble.

Cheers, Canada

Taiwan's Tzu-Chi Buddhist Compassionate Organization is on the ground in Texas. Here is a link with the news:

http://www.tzuchi.org/global/news/articles/20050902.html

The Leader of Tzu Chi, Buddhist Master Cheng Yen made the following statement:

Sept. 03, 2005

Buddhist Master Cheng Yen said:
A Letter from Master Cheng Yen -- Hurricane Katrina Relief

Dear volunteers and staff of Tzu Chi chapters around the world:

Life is impermanent and the world is fragile. On August 29, Hurricane
Katrina caused the most devastating disaster in the last 105 years of
US
history. Fierce wind and rain pelted the Gulf Coast like a ton of
bricks,
ravaging Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama.

The city of New Orleans received the hardest blow. When the levees
collapsed, over eighty percent of the city, including two airports,
became
submerged in water. With gas leakages leading to outbreaks of fire,
power
outages, a water shortage, the collapse of infrastructure, and corpses
floating through its waterlogged streets, the city was forced to shut
down
and declare a state of emergency. The Governor of Mississippi even
compared
the hurricane aftermath to Hiroshima after the atom bomb. The
unimaginable
scale of the disaster has paralyzed US emergency services. They are
unable
to rescue the survivors even as the number of dead and injured
continues to
climb.

Listening to all this, I feel an indescribable sense of pain and
sorrow. In
the world we live in, everything is interconnected. Any minor changes
to
the environment can ripple out to affect the whole. Where does a
hurricane
of such magnitude come from? The role of global warming cannot be
denied,
as scientific studies tell us. The disasters nowadays are increasingly
more
severe, and in the future, given human beings' wayward activities, the
disasters will become even more devastating. The small acts here and
there
may seem minor, but very quickly we find upon us a calamity that tears
apart families and destroys cities. As a member of this global village,
how
can we remain apart and take no action?

Tzu Chi members in the US have already mobilized. Since the disaster
area
was closed off, they have begun providing assistance to hurricane
evacuees
who fled to Texas, especially to the elderly, the disabled, and
low-income
families. They plan to distribute US$200 emergency gift certificates to
the
victims in lieu of cash and offer other forms of assistance, so the
evacuees can immediately receive emotional and physical support.
Furthermore, TIMA (Tzu Chi International Medical Association) members
across the U.S. are preparing to provide medical assistance at the
refugee
centers, while everyone else prepares to kick off a nationwide
fundraising
drive. Tzu Chi members in Canada have already donated US$1 million to
the
relief efforts.

I earnestly hope that all of you will bring forth your love and further
inspire others to share the same compassion; that you will contribute
but
also draw others to join this global fundraising effort. At this time,
we
need to unite everyone behind this campaign-to rally everyone's love
and
inspire acts of kindness. The positive force created from this goodness
is
the force of positive karma. It is a force that can turn the tide of
negative karma.

Just as Hurricane Katrina was forming over the Atlantic, Typhoon Talim
was
forming over the Pacific. While Hurricane Katrina swept through three
states of the United States, Typhoon Talim landed in Taiwan.
Thankfully,
the Central Mountain Range helped to weaken the winds of the typhoon so
that Taiwan was able to escape heavy damages. Having safely weathered
the
storm, we in Taiwan are filled with gratitude, and are humbled to
realize
how unconquerable the forces of nature truly are.

Indeed, those of us who are safe should reach out to those who are
suffering. The South Asia disaster passed only eight months ago. Just
when
we were finally beginning to see the victims settled down, with the
groundbreaking of the Tzu Chi communities in Sri Lanka and Aceh,
Indonesia-suddenly another catastrophic disaster struck. Deeply
saddened as
we are, it is not enough just to feel sympathy. We should take action
to do
what we can to offer help.

Faced with such a horrific disaster, we must all awaken to its lessons.
We
must come to realizations and adjust our own hearts, to pray for and
reach
out to disaster victims with a heart humbled, sincere, and disciplined.
At
the same time, we must recognize how human activities have a hand in
natural disasters, and do what we can to protect our environment and be
more eco-friendly in our day to day living. While things may be safe
and
well for us, we must always remain aware of potential crisis and live
in a
way that can help prevent them.

We must quickly do good---doing good isn't something to be put off for
another time. Doing good creates positive karma and sows
blessings-bringing
about good fortune and averting disaster. So, we should encourage
everyone
to exercise their compassion and carry out acts of kindness. Disasters,
both natural and man-made, are happening because there is a lack of
goodness and love in our world today. Karma - the law of cause and
effect -
is a law of nature. As unrelated as things may seem, a cause and effect
relationship nevertheless exists.

Everyone's actions, both positive and negative, affect the state of the
world. If people are moral and ethical, then naturally the world will
be
safe and peaceful. When there are disasters, it is the concern of each
and
every one of us-we all have a responsibility to help. I hope you all
will
do your part in motivating those around you to contribute to humanity
in a
positive way.

We all live under the same sky, on the same earth. We should treat
everyone
in the world as part of our family and embrace their suffering as our
own.
Our mission now is to inspire everyone to dedicate their love and
wisdom to
helping the victims of the hurricane and easing their suffering. Let us
fully embrace this mission.

I sincerely hope that everyday you will think good thoughts, speak kind
words, and do good, so we can help to purify people's hearts, bring
peace
to society, and eliminate disaster from the world. I'm grateful to you
all,
and I sincerely wish you happiness and wisdom.

Shih Cheng Yen
Taiwan Buddhist Tzu Chi Foundation
President
September 3, 2005

Cuba has doctors on standby with meds and Chavez was williing to give oil to Americans

Arch Enemy said:
and of course without any facts, you assume that Maquetia is a "small village"?

Compared to the 290,000,000 people of the US.. No I don't assume I can gauranteee it.. Are you going to startle me here and tell me it's a village of 300,000,000. Unless that the case then its a small city or village ...

josh said:
Cuba has doctors on standby with meds and Chavez was williing to give oil to Americans

Let him keep his oil......I'd rather walk

Arch Enemy said:
Why is it that when a devastating event in America happens, we don't get much offers for Aid from other countries. Yet when other countries are hit, everyone helps?

I'm not trying to put anyone down. I'm just trying to see if this is due to the "America's the greatest" mentality.

Alot of countrys offered aid but it wasnt accepted. Iroically Chazez offered two hospital ships only to get turned down. Therefore people are technically dieing thanks the bush's snoberry. Even Castro offered america several thousand doctors, who says ironys dead :lol:

Red_Dave said:
Alot of countrys offered aid but it wasnt accepted. Iroically Chazez offered two hospital ships only to get turned down. Therefore people are technically dieing thanks the bush's snoberry. Even Castro offered america several thousand doctors, who says ironys dead :lol:

I don't want his ships. He's an obvious hater against this country and it's government. And the offer all though disengenious is also a ploy in my opinion. They are not going to allow foriegn doctors with unknown credentials to work on people. In most cases it's the offer that is whats important. Our country rarely takes people up on them though.

Calm2Chaos said:
I don't want his ships. He's an obvious hater against this country and it's government. And the offer all though disengenious is also a ploy in my opinion. They are not going to allow foriegn doctors with unknown credentials to work on people. In most cases it's the offer that is whats important. Our country rarely takes people up on them though.

I think many in new orleans would take medical assistance from wherever possible.So what if chavez does hate the u,s government? I dont see how this justifys depriveing people of medical care.Many in south america have good reason to and i belive chazez is only being persecuted for quesioning the Americas de facto control over world economy and politics . If america got rid of him for doing so it certainly wouldnt be the first time they have ousted a democratic leader for doing so.

Red_Dave said:

of course I know that now. But when I first posted this thread, it was impossible to find any sign of aid. Execpt for Germany's decision to send its Red Cross team.

Red_Dave said:
I think many in new orleans would take medical assistance from wherever possible.So what if chavez does hate the u,s government? I dont see how this justifys depriveing people of medical care.Many in south america have good reason to and i belive chazez is only being persecuted for quesioning the Americas de facto control over world economy and politics . If america got rid of him for doing so it certainly wouldnt be the first time they have ousted a democratic leader for doing so.

Because we are not going to allow any yahoo from every backwater country to treat people. If you don't see the problem in that happening then I can't help you. What I can do is say that I don't see the US allowing a load of so called doctors intot he US to practice without the propoer credentials.

I see no reason why America would even consider getting rid of him. We can always send Pat Robertson there to bore him to death.

What good reasons do south americans have???????????????????????

Keep his oil and his ships.

Last edited:
Because we are not going to allow any yahoo from every backwater country to treat people. If you don't see the problem in that happening then I can't help you. What I can do is say that I don't see the US allowing a load of so called doctors intot he US to practice without the propoer credentials.

I see no reason why America would even consider getting rid of him. We can always send Pat Robertson there to bore him to death.

What good reasons do south americans have???????????????????????

Keep his oil and his ships.

what makes you think these south american doctors don't have good credentials. In the case of an emergency like New Orleans, any doctor with decent medical training (we;re not talkin of freakin brain surgeons here) would helpful in the rescue effort.

Arch Enemy said:

Two reasons:

1.You claim to be the "richest country in the world" and

2.We don`t want to feed your negro looters.

nkgupta80 said:
what makes you think these south american doctors don't have good credentials. In the case of an emergency like New Orleans, any doctor with decent medical training (we;re not talkin of freakin brain surgeons here) would helpful in the rescue effort.

Because to practice medicine you have to pass certain boards in this country to make sure you are qualified.

josh said:
Cuban doctors are among the best in the world.

best in the world?

Ya know I have never heard that before. Are we comparing them to everybody or just other small tropical island countries:2razz:

Because to practice medicine you have to pass certain boards in this country to make sure you are qualified.

most of it is bloated bureaucracy. Many extremely qualified doctors from around the world are denied the right to practice in this country due to regulations imposed by lobbyists.

best in the world?

Ya know I have never heard that before. Are we comparing them to everybody or just other small tropical island countries

Its actually very possible. The best doctors, esp general practitioners, earn their reputation solely through experience. Doctors from countries afflicted by poverty, overpopulation, and disease, will be exposed to a greater number of patients, and thus gain first-hand experience. A doctor who earned his degree from a med school in the Carribean, but worked with hundreds of available cases will have similar if not more practical experience than the harvard med-school graduate who has had 3 years of regulated residency.

nkgupta80 said:
most of it is bloated bureaucracy. Many extremely qualified doctors from around the world are denied the right to practice in this country due to regulations imposed by lobbyists.

Its actually very possible. The best doctors, esp general practitioners, earn their reputation solely through experience. Doctors from countries afflicted by poverty, overpopulation, and disease, will be exposed to a greater number of patients, and thus gain first-hand experience. A doctor who earned his degree from a med school in the Carribean, but worked with hundreds of available cases will have similar if not more practical experience than the harvard med-school graduate who has had 3 years of regulated residency.

I'll take my chances with my US doctors. you can go to whatever witchdoctor dropped from a cocunut tree yesterday. I'll take my chances here and the higher standards. But you have fun

Oddly enuf when there is a special case I never see them sending the person to cuba or the caribean.. They send them here. Must be so those useless harvard grads can get a little much eeded practice

I'll take my chances with my US doctors. you can go to whatever witchdoctor dropped from a cocunut tree yesterday. I'll take my chances here and the higher standards. But you have fun

start exaggerating everything I say.....I;m sure cuba isn't a bunch of beach huts and palm trees.

Anyways Where a harvard education comes into picture is if a medical graduate is seeking to become a high level surgeon or looking into a career in medical research. No carribean college and very few around the world can offer access to cutting edge research facilities and new surgical methods.
However, when it comes to general practice, a Harvard graduate starts off no better than a similarly trained doctor from any other country in the world.

Oddly enuf when there is a special case I never see them sending the person to cuba or the caribean.. They send them here. Must be so those useless harvard grads can get a little much eeded practice

People only send them here when they are in need of cutting edge technology and surgery. No one sends people to the US for general practice/counsel or most basic surgeries.

This is why In a disaster like new Orleans, any medical professionals would be a benefit in the rescue effort. They're not in need of top professionals. what they need are only capable professionals.

nkgupta80 said:
start exaggerating everything I say.....I;m sure cuba isn't a bunch of beach huts and palm trees.

Anyways Where a harvard education comes into picture is if a medical graduate is seeking to become a high level surgeon or looking into a career in medical research. No carribean college and very few around the world can offer access to cutting edge research facilities and new surgical methods.
However, when it comes to general practice, a Harvard graduate starts off no better than a similarly trained doctor from any other country in the world.

People only send them here when they are in need of cutting edge technology and surgery. No one sends people to the US for general practice/counsel or most basic surgeries.

This is why In a disaster like new Orleans, any medical professionals would be a benefit in the rescue effort. They're not in need of top professionals. what they need are only capable professionals.

If thats the case why do you have people that come to this country with foreign med degrees, but can't pass the boards to get certified here? If the technology and the research and facilities are better the end product is going to be better, in general at least.

They would send them here for everything if they could. It's just not cost effective is all

If thats the case why do you have people that come to this country with foreign med degrees, but can't pass the boards to get certified here? If the technology and the research and facilities are better the end product is going to be better, in general at least.

the amount of foreign doctors coming into thsi country is regulated. Yes there are many who genuinely don't pass the boards (due to inadequecies in their education), but there are equally as many who don't get in due to restrictions on numbers set by lobbyist groups.

Cutting edge research institutions and technology will not help a practitioner gain experience. The difference between a good doctor and a bad doctor is their ability to quickly and accurately diagnose based on the symptoms of the patient. A Harvard graduate will definately have a high-level education in the inner workings of the human body and a knowledge of new research in his fields. But all in all, unless he gains experience through practice, he will have no greater ability than the doctor from the uknown foreign med school who has successfully practiced for a few years.

They would send them here for everything if they could. It's just not cost effective is all

US isn't the only country top in medical care... Europe has great institutions. There are superb institutions in Asia and South America as well. One of our family friends sent their aging father back to India for surgery. Why? Not only was it cost effective (The amount for the plane ticket plus the hospital fees were less than the hospital fees in the US) , but the doctors were excellent and the hospital care was much better than the care he would get in the hospital here.

nkgupta80 said:
the amount of foreign doctors coming into thsi country is regulated. Yes there are many who genuinely don't pass the boards (due to inadequecies in their education), but there are equally as many who don't get in due to restrictions on numbers set by lobbyist groups.

Cutting edge research institutions and technology will not help a practitioner gain experience. The difference between a good doctor and a bad doctor is their ability to quickly and accurately diagnose based on the symptoms of the patient. A Harvard graduate will definately have a high-level education in the inner workings of the human body and a knowledge of new research in his fields. But all in all, unless he gains experience through practice, he will have no greater ability than the doctor from the uknown foreign med school who has successfully practiced for a few years.

US isn't the only country top in medical care... Europe has great institutions. There are superb institutions in Asia and South America as well. One of our family friends sent their aging father back to India for surgery. Why? Not only was it cost effective (The amount for the plane ticket plus the hospital fees were less than the hospital fees in the US) , but the doctors were excellent and the hospital care was much better than the care he would get in the hospital here.

So the indian hospital could provide him better care then the American hospital???? Hmmmm If thats the case I think we need to close all our healthcare facilities.

So the indian hospital could provide him better care then the American hospital???? Hmmmm If thats the case I think we need to close all our healthcare facilities.

why. You'll find great hospitals in both places. You'll defintaely find tons more good hospitals in the US than in India (it still is a developing country). However, availability is key. Our friends could spend 1000 dollars on the plane ticket, another 5000 on the hospital fees, and they'd get top care at a top hospital in India. The hospital near them wasn't very good, and the cost of going to a top hospital somewhere else in the US would be far greater (hospital fees alone were greater than the total cost of the India option.

Anyways the point again was to show that America isn't solely the best, you can find good doctors and hospitals everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom