• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Interesting Statement

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The Palestinian Representative' s Speech at the UN
An ingenious example of speech and politics occurred recently in the United Nations Assembly and made the world community smile.

"Before beginning my talk I want to tell you a story about Moses. When he struck the rock and it brought forth water, he thought, 'What a good opportunity to have a bath!'
He removed his clothes, put them aside on the rock and entered the water.
When he got out and wanted to dress, his clothes had vanished.
An Israeli had stolen them."

The Israeli representative jumped up furiously and shouted, "What are you talking about ? There were no Israelis there then."

The Palestinian representative smiled and said:
"And now that we have made that quite clear, I will begin my speech."

Thoughts on his comment and the point he was trying to make? although it may come across as inflammatory (statement), im curious to hear opinons on if he was trying to make a point, be disrespectful or both?

Last edited:
An ingenious example of speech and politics occurred recently in the United Nations Assembly and made the world community smile.

"Before beginning my talk I want to tell you a story about Moses. When he struck the rock and it brought forth water, he thought, 'What a good opportunity to have a bath!'

The Israeli representative jumped up furiously and shouted, "What are you talking about ? There were no Israelis there then."

Thoughts on his comment and the point he was trying to make? although it may come across as inflammatory (statement), im curious to hear opinons on if he was trying to make a point, be disrespectful or both?

where are you taking this from? sounds like an urban tale...

Mt. Sinai (where Moses performed his miracle) is, quite obviously, on the Sinai peninsula, not Israel, that story, true or not, uses bad logic from the start.

But beyond historical accuracy, or lack thereof, it is quite clever word play, but to say my bit, it was baiting, as while the Palestinian story was referring to the ancient Israelites, it was obviously an adianoeta to refer the the modern state as well.

Last edited:
An urban legend. Other variations that can be found on the Internet include:

Who does Israel belong to? Israeli Sense of Humour at the UN An ingenious example of speech and politics occurred recently in the United Nations Assembly and made the world community smile. A representative from Israel began, "Before beginning my talk, I want to tell you a story about Moses." When he struck the rock and it brought forth water, he thought, "What a good opportunity to have a bath!" He removed his clothes, put them aside on the rock and entered the water. When he got out and wanted to dress, his clothes had vanished. A Palestinian had stolen them." The Palestinian representative jumped up furiously and shouted, "What are you talking about - The Palestinians weren't there then." The Israeli representative then smiled and said, "And now that we have made that clear, I will begin my speech."

The main point is that such urban legends are methods aimed a delegitimization. They are not aimed at addressing real grievances and solving real problems that exist today.

The above is a fabrication it never happened.

No Palestinian delegate would be stupid enough to speak like that and no Israeli dumb enough to respond like that.

It shows who ever came up with the story is neither Palestinian nor Israel and neither a Muslim or a Jew but presumes to think they are smarter than both.

No Palestinian or Muslim would talk about Moses in such a manner and no Israeli would be so stupid as not to know the difference between an ancient Hebrew and a modern Israeli.

Whoever fabricated this story and thought they were being witty and proving a point against Israel insults not only the intelligence of Israelis but Palestinians, Jews, Muslims and for that matter anyone with an ounce of intelligence.

ok , everyone thanks for clearing that up. I was surprised to come across that statement anyways.

still a cool story though

Am I the only one who read that as *a joke* and nothing more?

Back
Top Bottom