• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

interest in drug policy

Donkey1499 said:
Illegal drugs by themselves are dangerous no matter how well they are regulated.

Much of the phisiological danger in drugs are caused by the prohibition of them.

Drug education is limited to complete abstaince. Then when people decide that they want to use them, they don't know the proper precautions.

Also, because drugs cannot be regulated by government sanctions, only criminals will sell them. There's no reason for a person to sell low quality and dangerous products if there's no consequences. Much of the dangers of MDMA are caused by this, as the the purity of opiates, which have a dangerously low thereputic value.

A chemical is a chemical; they cannot be inherently evil. Abuse of any substance can endanger a person.

Donkey1499 said:
More conspiracy BS from hippies. This crap is bad for ya.

Disent and critical review are necessary for a balanced government.

shuku said:
Much of the phisiological danger in drugs are caused by the prohibition of them.

Drug education is limited to complete abstaince. Then when people decide that they want to use them, they don't know the proper precautions.

Also, because drugs cannot be regulated by government sanctions, only criminals will sell them. There's no reason for a person to sell low quality and dangerous products if there's no consequences. Much of the dangers of MDMA are caused by this, as the the purity of opiates, which have a dangerously low thereputic value.

A chemical is a chemical; they cannot be inherently evil. Abuse of any substance can endanger a person.

What about "Drugs can F*** you up" do you not understand? It's quite simple if you'd just look at scientific studies that show that illegal drugs are BAD for you. Why would anyone want to make themselves retarded?

Donkey1499 said:
I posted a site above from the UK.
The summary doesn't exist: "mirror.parliament.uk could not be found. Please check the name and try again."

shuku said:
The summary doesn't exist: "mirror.parliament.uk could not be found. Please check the name and try again."

mirror.parliament? That's not what it is. It [the link] works for me. It must be your comp or your anti-virus stuff. Or just go to www.ask.com and type in the question: "How are Illegal Drugs harmful to the human body?" Or just Google it. The info is out there.

Donkey1499 said:
What about "Drugs can F*** you up" do you not understand? It's quite simple if you'd just look at scientific studies that show that illegal drugs are BAD for you. Why would anyone want to make themselves retarded?
Responsible drug use is far from being a common term, but I see it in action. People who use drugs occasionally still function at normal levels. The brain isn't a fragile egg that disintigrates at every chemical introduced. It adapts and rebounds outside of drug abuse. Even the cognative decline caused by heavy MDMA use return to baseline within 4 months, as per the study cited in Ecstacy Rising with Ken Jennings.

Donkey1499 said:
mirror.parliament? That's not what it is. It [the link] works for me. It must be your comp or your anti-virus stuff. Or just go to www.ask.com and type in the question: "How are Illegal Drugs harmful to the human body?" Or just Google it. The info is out there.
the link you provided leads to the abstract of the study, but not the results. The link within the page directs to http://mirror.parliament.uk/post/pn079.pdf as "Report Summary", which no longer exists.

Donkey1499 said:

I prefer using sites such as http://www.erowid.org and http://en.wikipedia.org. They tend to be less biased. Websites like NORML and NIDA have pretty skewed results, though I'd prefer NORML because that's my bias.

Donkey1499 said:
Illegal drugs by themselves are dangerous no matter how well they are regulated.

"Illegal drugs" is a broad category.

I can certainly make an argument that certain illegal drugs (eg marajuana) are far less dangerous that certain legal drugs (alcohol and tobacco).

Regardless, you cannot argue it is safer to use cocaine or herion bought on the street, when it is mixed with who knows what and of unknown purity, than it would be to use the drugs legally manufactured, where the potency and purity are controlled and regulated.

Donkey1499 said:
More conspiracy BS from hippies. This crap is bad for ya.

So is smoking, drinking, and breathing air pollution.

Donkey1499 said:

I guess for some life is more fun if you can be retarded once in awhile. Why do people drink? Why do they smoke?

No one denies it can be bad for you. The issue is whether the social consequences as a whole are better or worse by addressing the issue from a criminal punishment perspective.

There is ample evidence that tactics has not worked. We even tried it with alcohol, and prohibition was such a failure, and caused so many negative consequences, that the consititution was amended to make liquor legal again.

Iriemon said:
I guess for some life is more fun if you can be retarded once in awhile. Why do people drink? Why do they smoke?

Some people like the more throughly enjoy what they do. Some people want to see life from different perspectives. Some people like to push the boundry of what defines self.
Human are curious things, and many of them are willing to risk their lives for what they believe in.

Iriemon said:

No one denies it can be bad for you. The issue is whether the social consequences as a whole are better or worse by addressing the issue from a criminal punishment perspective.

There is ample evidence that tactics has not worked. We even tried it with alcohol, and prohibition was such a failure, and caused so many negative consequences, that the consititution was amended to make liquor legal again.

Last night when I locked myself in the Study (aka bathroom) I thought long and hard about some things. One involved the legalization of drugs. As I was thinking about it (of which my legs were falling asleep) I have finally decided that I don't give two shits (of which I actually did, but TMI again?) about the legalization anymore. Once legalized I thought about what the consequences to ME would be. And I couldn't think of any, except a stoned driver or a maniac on LSD with an axe. But it won't really affect me, or at least not directly unless I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time.
All this really came about, though, because I was thinking about beer and cigarettes at the same time. And I say: if you smoke, that's your problem. If you drink, that's your problem. So why couldn't I say: if you inhale, that's your problem. It's really none of my business how people ruin their lives. If they want to be retarded, fine I don't really care. Just as long as they don't try to get me involved.

And the moral of all this is: We should all spend more time on the throne. It does the brain some good!

Donkey1499, that's the attitude I wish more people would have. When it comes down to it, the difference between legality and morality should be if it affects people against their will. fyi, very stoned drivers are less likely to crash than slightly drunk drivers (http://mojo.calyx.net/~olsen/HEMP/IHA/iha01206.html), and probably would be less incline to (opinion). Not to mention that most hallucinagins (not pcp) most often cause people to be sedentary. It's the deleriants (poisons) that cause people to go crazy. And most of those aren't illegal (belladonna, datura, diphenhydramine). Thanks for being a passive supporter.

galenrox said:
Do you work out too much? Not enough? Do you eat at McDonalds EVER (or any other fast food joint)? Do you eat enough vegetables? Fruit? Do drink 1 glass of red wine every night, but only one?

All of these things hurt your health. Now to claim drugs make you "retarded" is simply a sign of ignorance when it comes to this issue. We've got a former coke-head president, and we all know that Clinton reefed more times than he let on.
Pot kills brain cells, duh. So does holding your breath, or living.

Yeah!

neck twitches......left eye blinks:rofl

galenrox said:
Do you work out too much? Not enough? Do you eat at McDonalds EVER (or any other fast food joint)? Do you eat enough vegetables? Fruit? Do drink 1 glass of red wine every night, but only one?

All of these things hurt your health. Now to claim drugs make you "retarded" is simply a sign of ignorance when it comes to this issue. We've got a former coke-head president, and we all know that Clinton reefed more times than he let on.
Pot kills brain cells, duh. So does holding your breath, or living.

Clinton "did not inhale"; according to Bill.:mrgreen:

Donkey1499 said:
Clinton "did not inhale"; according to Bill.:mrgreen:

he left that to monica

Oooooooooo.

But yea, Welcome shuku, glad you're here. One of my good friends is in Pharmacy school in Albany, its a damn good career path. And I spent a year and a half living with an incredibly intelligent drug..."scholar," I guess I'd call him. Kid knew more about drugs than most people do about their right hand.

galenrox said:
yeah, but this raises the question how much does one really know about one's right hand?
I mean, off the top of my head I know it has five fingers, two of which have a tingling feeling, it has 5 nails, hair on it, it has wrinkles, and it's got bones inside of it.

I know a lot more about drugs than my right hand, cause I pay a lot more attention to drugs.

depends on what you spend most of your day doing. i bet most of the people on here are pretty damn familiar with their right hands....
:lol:

galenrox said:
For one, if you spend more time jerkin your gerkin than smoking pot, then your priorities are ****ED UP
Next, I'm left handed, and all I've learned about my left hand from masturbating is that I like to use it for masturbating.

Smoke? Too much school work, not now. Maybe summer.
This summer? Job in a city that is not NY.
Job? Does not test for drugs.
Drugs? Yes please.

Back
Top Bottom