• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In what sort of environment do you live?

I live in a:

• Total voters

Greenbeard

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
This is apparently one of the great cultural divides today. I was struck by comments in various other threads in which certain folks seem to regard virtually any American city with fear, so I'm curious: where do people live?

I assume most people know the know the difference between a city, suburb, exurb, and rural area but you can use the Wiki descriptions if you need to.

Small city, Columbia, SC. Its the capital of SC, has a university, and a military base.

This is apparently one of the great cultural divides today. I was struck by comments in various other threads in which certain folks seem to regard virtually any American city with fear, so I'm curious: where do people live?

I assume most people know the know the difference between a city, suburb, exurb, and rural area but you can use the Wiki descriptions if you need to.

I live in a small village about 20 miles outside of a small city. I guess it's an exurb, but I see it more like an island surrounded by cornfields and state parks.

Big city. 2.5 to 4 million people depending on time of year.

Orange County NY about 50 miles from NYC. Shopping and a lot of medical facilities in the county but also plenty of apple farms and horse farms. I think a third commute to NYC or Jersey.

I'm in the largest city, and it is classified as a large city, in a metro area that includes roughly half of the citizens of our state.

i split my time between the city and my rural hometown. the commute from my house to work is too far, and it is sometimes not drivable during the winter.

Statistically I'm in a metro area, but I'd like somebody to tell that to the bears and cows that wander into our yard.

I read all the definitions and I really don't even know. It seems I'm really on the border. I looked up my area and it says :

"part of the Pittsburgh Metro Area."

The Pittsburgh metropolitan area (also called Greater Pittsburgh, Southwestern Pennsylvania or the Pittsburgh Tri-State)[2] is the largest population center in both the Ohio River Valley and Appalachia. The metropolitan area consists of the City of Pittsburgh in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and surrounding counties.

A metropolitan area, sometimes referred to as a metro area or just metro, is a region consisting of a densely populated urban core and its less-populated surrounding territories, sharing industry, infrastructure, and housing.[1] A metro area usually comprises multiple jurisdictions and municipalities: neighborhoods, townships, boroughs, cities, towns, exurbs, suburbs, counties, districts, states, and even nations like the eurodistricts.

:shrug:

Guess I'll go with exurbs, but If I drive in the right direction 20-40mins it could look like farmland or the city. Before I read all that I would of said I'm rural but now I'm just confused haha.

I live in the suburbs outside of a large town.

I live in a small town that is mostly Hispanic. There is nearly as much Spanish spoken here as English, and some outstanding Mexican restaurants. It's not high income, nor is it impoverished, but is middle class America. Except for the increase in gang activity, it's a good place to live.

Rural area. I have a well and septic tank because we have no utilities other than electricity. Not long ago we got cable TV run down the same poles that the electricity is on, but you have to pay to tap into it with a per foot fee because many house are pretty far off the road and it takes a lot of cable and maybe a signal booster just to go to one house (can be thousands of dollars just to get hooked up) - I have satellite TV and have had it since DirecTV started in the mid 1990's - I still have my first box that says HUGHES (as in Howard) on it. The area I live in, even though it's rural here, is officially part of the Charlotte Metropolitan Area.

I still consider the city of Uhland, TX to be rural but it is growing fast now. If it had a sewer system then it would become suburban fairly quickly. The property and single wide mobile home that I rent is on a farm/ranch that still has more catlle than people.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uhland,_Texas#Geography

On the border between suburbia and farm country. Mostly rural. Nearest towns pop about 2,000. County seat pop 47,000.

None of the above? It's somewhere between the suburbs and rural. We have 70k residents, although it's really spread out. Lots of empty land, clear skies and clean air.

I guess you can say I live in a hamlet. A few hundred people live in Grapeview mainly retirees on waterfront property, I managed to luck out and rent a cottage on the water from a retired couple for a low price, but this is a fairly high rent area I live on.

Overall Mason County WA has only one incorporated city, Shelton, which is about 12K people, total county population is 55k if I remember. Nearly all rural although Shelton is becoming more suburban as state workers move in (only 20 miles from the state Capitol in Olympia ) and fewer people work in wood products

I voted suburb but it's probably actually an exurb; less than 20 miles to Center City Philly.

Rural. Entire County has less than 50,000 people. 5 miles to nearest town of a couple thousand. 8 miles in another direction to town of 5,000. Boondocks, for sure.

/

Rural, within 1 hour drive of a small city.

Not afraid of cities, I grew up in one. Just not my cup of tea anymore.

Rural. Entire County has less than 50,000 people. 5 miles to nearest town of a couple thousand. 8 miles in another direction to town of 5,000. Boondocks, for sure.

/
Sounds like Elmira.

Right now, it would best described as the inside of a freezer in desperate need of defrosting.

We used to live in Denver. We moved to the mountains because of increased gang activity in our neighborhood. It's actually cheaper for us to live in the mountains in a bigger house. Quieter too. Now our closest neighbor is 1/4 away and no gang activity.

/

I am surrounded by people from your neck of the woods. The wife is from that area. Three of my neighbors are from that area. How in the hell did I wind up surrounded by New Yorkers in the Colorado Mountains? :confused:

Tiny town in a small county. Everything you would expect from rural living. Well water, septic, Sheriff instead of police, etc.

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom