• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

In light of Franken's resignation....I have a question.

csbrown28

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Before I type this, let me start off with the ubiquitous disclaimer. Everyone should be free of abuses of power by others, especially those of a sexual nature. This post is not intended to justify actions that fall into this catagory. The following is just my opinion and I might be wrong, one of the reasons I'm posting this here. If you think you can change my mind or share with me another opinion, then do it.

As far as my politics, I land pretty solidly on the left with respect to most issues, but I don't generally label myself.

Ok, here is my problem with one of the Franken photos...This woman accuses Franken of groping her just a moment before the photo was taken:

171130074418-al-franken-stephanie-kemplin-2003-exlarge-169.jpg

Now I looked at this photo a few times. I was bothered by the extremely happy look on her face in light of her accusation. The familar way in which she leans into him and then it dawned on me.

Is there a man out there that can imagine leaning in and taking a pic like this with a female politician?

I can't imagine touching cheek-to-cheek with someone like that unless they were my mother, my kids or my wife.

Would anyone feel comfortable with having a total stranger enter your personal space like this? I don't think I'd like it if my wife was a politician taking photos with men like this.

Now is what she did wrong (or maybe he pulled her in and it's his fault?)? IT DEPENDS on the situation. We appear to be reaching a point in which actions are everything and context means nothing.

Now, to be clear, there are areas of our bodies that are always off limits to all but our spouses and maybe our doctors, but this photo bothers me.

I feel like there is a double standard.

Having said that, I think what's going on with the allegations of sexual abuse is, in some cases, running amuck.

I believe in due process, not because I expect that it will catch all of the criminals, but more importantly, it will protect the falsely (or mistakenly) accused.

Having said that, I predict at the rate this is going that sooner or later someone is going to falsely accuse someone. Someone the left will enjoy demonizing. Then it will be proven to be a false allagation and this will end up being a huge setback for women that have truly experienced sexual assult.

This is an example of the left eating itself.

Before I type this, let me start off with the ubiquitous disclaimer. Everyone should be free of abuses of power by others, especially those of a sexual nature. This post is not intended to justify actions that fall into this catagory. The following is just my opinion and I might be wrong, one of the reasons I'm posting this here. If you think you can change my mind or share with me another opinion, then do it.

As far as my politics, I land pretty solidly on the left with respect to most issues, but I don't generally label myself.

Ok, here is my problem with one of the Franken photos...This woman accuses Franken of groping her just a moment before the photo was taken:

Now I looked at this photo a few times. I was bothered by the extremely happy look on her face in light of her accusation. The familar way in which she leans into him and then it dawned on me.

Is there a man out there that can imagine leaning in and taking a pic like this with a female politician?

I can't imagine touching cheek-to-cheek with someone like that unless they were my mother, my kids or my wife.

Would anyone feel comfortable with having a total stranger enter your personal space like this? I don't think I'd like it if my wife was a politician taking photos with men like this.

Now is what she did wrong (or maybe he pulled her in and it's his fault?)? IT DEPENDS on the situation. We appear to be reaching a point in which actions are everything and context means nothing.

Now, to be clear, there are areas of our bodies that are always off limits to all but our spouses and maybe our doctors, but this photo bothers me.

Having said that, I think what's going on with the allegations of sexual abuse is, in some cases, running amuck.

I believe in due process, not because I expect that it will catch all of the criminals, but more importantly, it will protect the falsely (or mistakenly) accused.

Having said that, I predict at the rate this is going that sooner or later someone is going to falsely accuse someone. Someone the left will enjoy demonizing. Then it will be proven to be a false allagation and this will end up being a huge setback for women that have truly experienced sexual assult.

Franken got thrown under the bus so the Left could go after Moore harder and attempt to gain the higher ground. They don't want this hanging over their heads in 2018.

I respect those on the left who show no tolerance for this type of activity no matter who it’s from.

Plus the Dem Gov. of MN will find someone even farther to the left to replace him.

Franken got thrown under the bus so the Left could go after Moore harder and attempt to gain the higher ground. They don't want this hanging over their heads in 2018.

The left will fail. They spent decades championing and promoting all manner of sexual depravity either through Hollyweird movies, music, or what have you. They have also belittled, mocked, and laughed at decent normal every day people for being wholesome and maintaining certain personal values.

Moore is chicken feed. The groper-in-chiefski needs to be gone.

The left will fail. They spent decades championing and promoting all manner of sexual depravity either through Hollyweird movies, music, or what have you. They have also belittled, mocked, and laughed at decent normal every day people for being wholesome and maintaining certain personal values.

Who was the musician who **** himself to dodge the draft, then threatened to shoot the Democratic party presidential candidate? Ted something?

Strange. The party that despises morals claws for the moral high ground with a transparent political strategy. With no credibility as they spent last year taking metaphorical bullets for a convicted perjurer and accused rapist. Political expediency on display.
As much as I despise frankengroper I wish he had gone through due process.

Proverbial chickens coming home to roost.

Franken was the creepy old man at the party smooching on the young girls. **** him. And, yes. Democrats actually have shown some integrity. Something the Right lacks these days. So, you go ahead and cheer the election of your pedophile in Alabama and your ***** grabber in the White House. The D did the right thing here. Too bad the R fails to do it repeatedly.

No. We mock hypocrites, of which there are many on the Right.

Franken was the creepy old man at the party smooching on the young girls. **** him. And, yes. Democrats actually have shown some integrity. Something the Right lacks these days. So, you go ahead and cheer the election of your pedophile in Alabama and your ***** grabber in the White House. The D did the right thing here. Too bad the R fails to do it repeatedly.

Winning hurts

Winning hurts

Hey, as long as you're willing to sell out your morals and ethics to "win," we all know who the Republicans really are. So, yes. Winning hurts.

Proverbial chickens coming home to roost.

I believe the American people are finally starting to see through the smoke screen the left has been putting up for so long. The left says they champion women's issues, but then so many of them have been abusive towards women. They go as far as to defend their abhorrent behavior for years on end.

Or perhaps some other fabrictated conspiracy theory that makes you sad that you can't pull a false equivalence for trump's and Moore's actions any more?

Strange. The party that despises morals claws for the moral high ground with a transparent political strategy. With no credibility as they spent last year taking metaphorical bullets for a convicted perjurer and accused rapist. Political expediency on display.
As much as I despise frankengroper I wish he had gone through due process.

"Claws for the moral high ground?" If the left laid down flat on their backs in the Mariana Trench they'd still coast several miles over the morality bar republicans have set for themselves.

This whole sexual harassment thing is being handled in a totally "third world" manner. If anyone should have due process it's elected officials because they are technically "one of us". What we are doing is dredging up tales of the past and using them as a substitute for our legal system. He was asked to resign because they don't have the balls or the evidence to impeach him.

I'm happy Frankin is gone because he won his seat because of fraud. But he got in and that's the end of that story. The baggage he brought with him was there when he was elected.

Fair or not, politically correct or not, these women had their chance to have their day in court and remained silent. I don't like it idea of the media and social justice warriors being arbitrators of who goes and who stays. There is too much room for playing with the facts and having motives that have nothing to do with the victim(s).

The way I see the problem is that these sexual harassment cases aren't being judged on an individual basis. The fact that these instances are coming out in bulk, shows there is somewhat of a frenzy taking place. The cases of Franken and Barton aren't the same as Trump and Moore. When the wind stops blowing, we won't here of a single case for years. Sexual harassment happens in a drip, drip, drip. These are coming out at once. Something is wrong here.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

"Claws for the moral high ground?" If the left laid down flat on their backs in the Mariana Trench they'd still coast several miles over the morality bar republicans have set for themselves.

Trying and failing from time to time is infinitely better than failing to set standards at all.
This is an intentional farce and anyone payng attention since kennedy was assaulting young waitresses or responsible for the death of a young lady is aware.

Last edited:
Hey, as long as you're willing to sell out your morals and ethics to "win," we all know who the Republicans really are. So, yes. Winning hurts.

The Left has no morals to spare

I believe the American people are finally starting to see through the smoke screen the left has been putting up for so long. The left says they champion women's issues, but then so many of them have been abusive towards women. They go as far as to defend their abhorrent behavior for years on end.

They avoid mirrors like vampires.

This is how I see the franken mess backfiring:

1) Franken does the right thing, comes clean, apologizes, women in his party tell him he must resign and he resigns.
2) Trump and Moore, double-down, deny everything, attack their accusers, their party comes out and supports them and they benefit.

What do you think the behavior of future politicians accused of sexual misconduct will be? Number 2, of course.

So, instead of fostering an environment that encourages women to come forward, women will once again have to face all kinds of backlash for coming forward.

The Left has no morals to spare

Speak for yourself. After all, being a supporting fan of the ***** grabber and pedophile is nothing to proud of.

This is how I see the franken mess backfiring:

1) Franken does the right thing, comes clean, apologizes, women in his party tell him he must resign and he resigns.
2) Trump and Moore, double-down, deny everything, attack their accusers, their party comes out and supports them and they benefit.

What do you think the behavior of future politicians accused of sexual misconduct will be? Number 2, of course.

So, instead of fostering an environment that encourages women to come forward, women will once again have to face all kinds of backlash for coming forward.

Yep, agree completely.

In the case of Trump is has admitted the things he's done, we are rewarding his lies and punishing those that take responsibility for their actions.

I think Moore is a piece of crap, but I won't throw away my principles in order to get rid of him. He deserves due process. The problem as I see it is that the Republicans seem unwilling to subject their own to due process (not that I'm saying that R's are the only one that do this).

Back
Top Bottom