• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Improper or proper?

ksu_aviator

Democrats are the fascists
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
When a family member was arrested and accused of shoplifting in Allen earlier this month, Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst decided to “jump into” action to get her out of jail.

“I intend to jump into this and see what can be done to prevent this very nice lady, through a miscarriage of justice, from spending the night in jail,” Dewhurst said at the end of the call. “Now, I may not be able to do anything, but it’s whatever the law says.”
Dewhurst mentioned several times that he is the lieutenant governor. He also offered to have Department of Public Safety Director Steve McCraw and DPS Lt. Brad Weatherford call Allen police to vouch for him.
“Sergeant, you don’t know me, but I am every year the No. 1 pick of all of the law enforcement agencies within Texas. The No. 1 pick,” Dewhurst said. “And I’m a supporter of you. You don’t know it, but I’m a supporter of you. I’m a supporter of everybody in law enforcement. And I want you to do whatever is the proper thing.”

Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst calls Allen police to get relative out of jail | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

So, it seems to me that the Lt. Gov tried very hard to not do anything improper while putting plenty of pressure to get his relative out of jail. Of course, she didn't do anything jaw dropping. It was illegal, but it wasn't drug running or money laundering. So the question is, was it to much pressure to repeat he's the LG even though he said on numerous occasions that he wanted everything to be within the law and procedures?

So, I think it was clumsy but ok. He could have done without as much name dropping and more "what's the proper way to handle this" but he never made a threat, veiled or otherwise, and he never put any pressure. He just asked very nicely and persistently for a favor and I don't think that's as much of a problem as some seem to.

So, it seems to me that the Lt. Gov tried very hard to not do anything improper while putting plenty of pressure to get his relative out of jail. Of course, she didn't do anything jaw dropping. It was illegal, but it wasn't drug running or money laundering. So the question is, was it to much pressure to repeat he's the LG even though he said on numerous occasions that he wanted everything to be within the law and procedures?

So, I think it was clumsy but ok. He could have done without as much name dropping and more "what's the proper way to handle this" but he never made a threat, veiled or otherwise, and he never put any pressure. He just asked very nicely and persistently for a favor and I don't think that's as much of a problem as some seem to.

Seems like he's trying to put the pressure on to me. Politicians and their relatives should be treated the same as anyone else.

It would have been proper for him to call only to find out where and when to post his relative's bail. He went far beyond that, even intimidating the sheriff into using a squad car to transfer the woman from a busy jail, where she would spend considerable time before being booked and seeing a judge, to a less busy jail. That's misuse of public funds and employees to show preference to a city official. It would have been completely unethical to the point of disciplinary action in the city where I once worked; it certainly should be the same there.

Not acceptable.

Seems like he's trying to put the pressure on to me. Politicians and their relatives should be treated the same as anyone else.

If they give more should that be considered?

If they give more should that be considered?

Nope. Nobody else would get special consideration. The rich, celebrities and politicians are the only ones who seem to be able to get away with this "special treatment" crap, and I'm tired of it. They are just people too.

Nope. Nobody else would get special consideration. The rich, celebrities and politicians are the only ones who seem to be able to get away with this "special treatment" crap, and I'm tired of it. They are just people too.

Special treatment in what manner? I'm a little confused about what you call justice for all and special consideration. If it's all equal then who calls the shots?

It would have been proper for him to call only to find out where and when to post his relative's bail. He went far beyond that, even intimidating the sheriff into using a squad car to transfer the woman from a busy jail, where she would spend considerable time before being booked and seeing a judge, to a less busy jail. That's misuse of public funds and employees to show preference to a city official. It would have been completely unethical to the point of disciplinary action in the city where I once worked; it certainly should be the same there.

Not acceptable.

To be fair, that apparently happens quite often for minor offenses like this. They do use squad cars to transport prisoners to other facilities to expedite release.

He should never have called. Even if it wasn't improper, it Appears to be.

To be fair, that apparently happens quite often for minor offenses like this. They do use squad cars to transport prisoners to other facilities to expedite release.

To be honest, rather than fair, they do not "expedite" releases of prisoners who have not had a top state official basically demanding that they do so. The Lt. Gov. used his position to push a personal agenda, so that his relative was not treated equally, but instead got preferential treatment.

Not acceptable. :)

Special treatment in what manner? I'm a little confused about what you call justice for all and special consideration. If it's all equal then who calls the shots?

Um, did you read the OP? My mommy certainly couldn't call for special favors. That's obviously what this is about.

Um, did you read the OP? My mommy certainly couldn't call for special favors. That's obviously what this is about.

Let it all go in your heart and come home. Then you'll know why mommy couldn't call this her dream though she wanted to be with you.

Let it all go in your heart and come home. Then you'll know why mommy couldn't call this her dream though she wanted to be with you.

I think you're being a wee bit too philosophical about this situation. This guy was certainly trying to get a favor, in a discrete and round-about manner without being too obvious about it. Little did he realize that all of his protest that he wasn't actually trying to do that, AS he was actually doing it, was a big give away! :mrgreen:

I think you're being a wee bit too philosophical about this situation. This guy was certainly trying to get a favor, in a discrete and round-about manner without being too obvious about it. Little did he realize that all of his protest that he wasn't actually trying to do that, AS he was actually doing it, was a big give away! :mrgreen:

Are you so sure about your judgement that it's righteous? You seem so sweet and innocent, like someone who'd forgive the worst sinner because it's within their nature. Am I wrong? Let the devil go and she turns out to be the savior because she's your soul?

Sounds to me like he was trying to make it clear he was not trying to make the charge go away but was just trying to get them processed faster. No big thing--happens all the time in the real world involving big people and small.

Are you so sure about your judgement that it's righteous? You seem so sweet and innocent, like someone who'd forgive the worst sinner because it's within their nature. Am I wrong? Let the devil go and she turns out to be the savior because she's your soul?

Lol! This guy was obviously trying to get a favor. Why else would he be talking about it the way he was? IMO he thought he could get his relative out of jail free so to speak. It's almost as if he was saying, "I think my relatives should get special consideration, but that's certainly not what I'm asking for." :lol:

Sounds to me like he was trying to make it clear he was not trying to make the charge go away but was just trying to get them processed faster. No big thing--happens all the time in the real world involving big people and small.

Examples of this happening for "small" people please. :mrgreen:

Lol! This guy was obviously trying to get a favor. Why else would he be talking about it the way he was? IMO he thought he could get his relative out of jail free so to speak. It's almost as if he was saying, "I think my relatives should get special consideration, but that's certainly not what I'm asking for." :lol:

And Jesus said "Father for you all things all possible remove this glass from me that I may not drink." Are you so heartless. Chris you're one of the sweetest people I know on this site. Let me go that I may let you live.

And Jesus said "Father for you all things all possible remove this glass from me that I may not drink." Are you so heartless. Chris you're one of the sweetest people I know on this site. Let me go that I may let you live.

Okay, this is just getting really strange now. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Okay, this is just getting really strange now. I have no idea what you're talking about.

LOL.. I would be shocked if you did. I've always felt like the devil but it's probably because I never have good health. I'm sorry Chris you're a good person and I'm just not feeling good.

LOL.. I would be shocked if you did. I've always felt like the devil but it's probably because I never have good health. I'm sorry Chris you're a good person and I'm just not feeling good.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you feel better soon.

Examples of this happening for "small" people please. :mrgreen:

I have done favors for people and they have done favors for me--be they involved in medicine, law enforcement, the criminal justice system, government. It is how the world works as long as you do not abuse it by asking for too much or asking too often.

I have done favors for people and they have done favors for me--be they involved in medicine, law enforcement, the criminal justice system, government. It is how the world works as long as you do not abuse it by asking for too much or asking too often.

That's one of the problems with the world. Everyone needs to be treated equally, regardless of who they are or what connections they have. IMO, it's unethical.

That's one of the problems with the world. Everyone needs to be treated equally, regardless of who they are or what connections they have. IMO, it's unethical.

Why is it unethical? Very often it is just professional courtesy.

Why is it unethical? Very often it is just professional courtesy.

I disagree. Everyone doesn't get this special treatment, so it is unequal treatment, therefore unethical.

Back
Top Bottom