• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Improper or proper?

Paraphrasing:

CC: I'm Calvin Coolidge, Lt Governor of Massachusetts

guest: What do you do?

CC: I just did.

So, it seems to me that the Lt. Gov tried very hard to not do anything improper while putting plenty of pressure to get his relative out of jail. Of course, she didn't do anything jaw dropping. It was illegal, but it wasn't drug running or money laundering. So the question is, was it to much pressure to repeat he's the LG even though he said on numerous occasions that he wanted everything to be within the law and procedures?

So, I think it was clumsy but ok. He could have done without as much name dropping and more "what's the proper way to handle this" but he never made a threat, veiled or otherwise, and he never put any pressure. He just asked very nicely and persistently for a favor and I don't think that's as much of a problem as some seem to.
On one hand...it's pretty damn human for a case like this to try and get a family member out of prison....on the other hand...not exactly why he was elected into office.

I guess my answer is I'm not going to judge, shouldn't have to do anything drastic like resign, but voters will decide next time he's running for an office if that's acceptable to them.

Yeah, he's definitely using his rank and power to get a benefit not available to the general public. He can sit his ass in a filthy lobby and shut up like the rest of us have to do when a loved one gets locked up.

Back
Top Bottom