• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Imagine Trump Being Damaged Goods to the General Electorate in 2024

ouch

Air Muscle
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Will (S/I/T) Trump recover from his 1st term low ratings for a 2nd term bid in 2024? I'm happily pleased that 70% of Independents appear done with him and that's important because the Independent votes are needed to bump a candidate across the finish line. Stay diligent Independents because there has to be a really good candidate choice to turn up in due time.

What Liz Cheney has figured out about Donald Trump and 2024 (msn.com)
Consider this: The worst possible situation for a politician is to be a) totally known and b) broadly disliked.

Which is exactly where Trump finds himself at this moment. Trump is universally known by voters in the country but just 34% of Americans approve of the job he did as president, according to the final Gallup poll of his presidency, which was conducted from January 4-January 15. In that same poll, just 4% of self-identified Democrats and 30% of independents said they approved of how Trump had handled the office.

-- it's very hard to imagine how Trump doesn't remain deeply damaged goods to the general electorate in 2024. Democrats -- even many moderate and conservative ones -- will NEVER consider voting for him because of his actions in office, all of which culminated with January 6 and its aftermath. And it's almost as hard to imagine how independents, who tend to be swayed by the mood of the country and the economy, would opt for Trump amid what is almost certain to be a boom time in the country -- economically and otherwise -- following the battle against the Covid-19 virus.

Will (S/I/T) Trump recover from his 1st term low ratings for a 2nd term bid in 2024? I'm happily pleased that 70% of Independents appear done with him and that's important because the Independent votes are needed to bump a candidate across the finish line. Stay diligent Independents because there has to be a really good candidate choice to turn up in due time.

Consider this: The worst possible situation for a politician is to be a) totally known and b) broadly disliked.

Which is exactly where Trump finds himself at this moment. Trump is universally known by voters in the country but just 34% of Americans approve of the job he did as president, according to the final Gallup poll of his presidency, which was conducted from January 4-January 15. In that same poll, just 4% of self-identified Democrats and 30% of independents said they approved of how Trump had handled the office.

-- it's very hard to imagine how Trump doesn't remain deeply damaged goods to the general electorate in 2024. Democrats -- even many moderate and conservative ones -- will NEVER consider voting for him because of his actions in office, all of which culminated with January 6 and its aftermath. And it's almost as hard to imagine how independents, who tend to be swayed by the mood of the country and the economy, would opt for Trump amid what is almost certain to be a boom time in the country -- economically and otherwise -- following the battle against the Covid-19 virus.
Despite what he said, I never believed for one second that Trump had any intentions of ever running for office again. His ego is far too fragile to risk suffering another humiliating defeat. I always thought that any allusions to another run were just a pretext to milk his mindless minions into swelling his "campaign" coffers for his personal use - and there's been every indication that it has been exactly that.

A Trump '24 GOP nomination dooms the GOP from recapturing the White House. The politicly astute know this, as do many of the Republican leadership such as McConnell. But the Republican rank & file voters don't know this, and that's good for the country & us Democrats.

A Trump '24 GOP nomination dooms the GOP from recapturing the White House. The politicly astute know this, as do many of the Republican leadership such as McConnell. But the Republican rank & file voters don't know this, and that's good for the country & us Democrats.

I figure it's even better than that.... even if Trump doesn't run in 2024, it's going to be pretty nigh impossible to get the Republican nomination without getting his endorsement.... but getting that endorsement is going to make it impossible to win as well.

Trump is right now creating a shadow GOP. This organization currently has about as much in its coffers $85 million as the RNC.

I think Trump will look for someone to run in his stead in '24 and do his bidding. Someone like DeSantis.

Despite what he said, I never believed for one second that Trump had any intentions of ever running for office again. His ego is far too fragile to risk suffering another humiliating defeat. I always thought that any allusions to another run were just a pretext to milk his mindless minions into swelling his "campaign" coffers for his personal use - and there's been every indication that it has been exactly that.
You nailed his money scheming ego to a T. However, and it may start out as you have suggested, Trump may find himself being overly cheered on to run again and that's like walking through the door with both arms full of candy and toys to a stingy toddler. He'd pee his pants with delight to get ear fulls of his nutty base chanting his name over and over again. I just hope that his sorry corrupt ass is in jail by the time 2024 is upon us. Of course, that dumb shit would probably try to run for office from his jail cell.

Trump is right now creating a shadow GOP. This organization currently has about as much in its coffers $85 million as the RNC.

I think Trump will look for someone to run in his stead in '24 and do his bidding. Someone like DeSantis.
You mean Don Jr is out of that picture? You know that it doesn't take experience or brains to make it there - thanks to dumbass (S/I/T) Trump. However, (S/I/T) Trump's low ratings may follow his bloodline.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the American voter. May we remind you of the 2004 election? The 2016 election?? The fact that 74 million people STILL voted for Trump in 2020?? Cults are VERY hard to break. Do you see the Trump signs/flags STILL flying???

The "GOP" has been all but non-existent since Trump came on the scene. The Trump Party exists, not the GOP......

You nailed his money scheming ego to a T. However, and it may start out as you have suggested, Trump may find himself being overly cheered on to run again and that's like walking through the door with both arms full of candy and toys to a stingy toddler. He'd pee his pants with delight to get ear fulls of his nutty base chanting his name over and over again. I just hope that his sorry corrupt ass is in jail by the time 2024 is upon us. Of course, that dumb shit would probably try to run for office from his jail cell.
The the sorry followers of this piece of dung would STILL vote for him.....

Yes, Trump has high negatives, and I don't want to see him run again, even tho I voted for him twice. I'd rather see Mitt Romney or Nikki Haley run and win the nomination, but if Trump runs in a primary, we all know he can get his people out for primary votes.

However, he did garner more votes than any other Presidential candidate in history, other than Joe Biden, so there is that.

That having been said, his high negatives did drive out a lot of people to vote against him. I think the COVID thing sank him, and unless Biden botches up big time, I can't see Trump beating him in 2024.

Lastly, this COVID thing is far from over, it still very bad, and has the possibility for getting much worse.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the American voter. May we remind you of the 2004 election? The 2016 election?? The fact that 74 million people STILL voted for Trump in 2020?? Cults are VERY hard to break. Do you see the Trump signs/flags STILL flying???
I'm very aware of the numbnutty cult like voters who have a penchant to vote for stupid. What I see the most is a narcissist wannabe dictator not going anywhere soon

Yes, Trump has high negatives, and I don't want to see him run again, even tho I voted for him twice. I'd rather see Mitt Romney or Nikki Haley run and win the nomination, but if Trump runs in a primary, we all know he can get his people out for primary votes.

However, he did garner more votes than any other Presidential candidate in history, other than Joe Biden, so there is that.

That having been said, his high negatives did drive out a lot of people to vote against him. I think the COVID thing sank him, and unless Biden botches up big time, I can't see Trump beating him in 2024.

Lastly, this COVID thing is far from over, it still very bad, and has the possibility for getting much worse.
Among a few Democratic and Republican choices to review when the time comes, I would give Romney a look. Gotta give him props for being one who stood up to King Donny the most. I'm afraid age and 4 years in office won't be kind to Biden's health.

May I ask why you voted for him ,...twice no less...??

May I ask why you voted for him ,...twice no less...??
Mostly to try and stack the high court with originalist.

Time will tell if it was worth it.

Mostly to try and stack the high court with originalist.

Time will tell if it was worth it.
Thanks for the reply. I never understood the attraction to "originalists" on the court. The nation grows and changes as we learn and gain perspective as a country through time. I mean, would you be a better judge when you were age 9, or the present day?

It's not really a "shadow GOP". Trump has publicly declared war on the GOP Elites...going so far as to call out Mitch, Murkowsky and others by using no uncertain terms. And that is one of the reasons for the high donations. He represents a HUGE percentage of the Republican rank and file who have been fed up with the GOP Elites for a long while.

If Trump did decide to run, himself, he would win.

This was yesterday...

It's not really a "shadow GOP". Trump has publicly declared war on the GOP Elites...going so far as to call out Mitch, Murkowsky and others by using no uncertain terms. And that is one of the reasons for the high donations. He represents a HUGE percentage of the Republican rank and file who have been fed up with the GOP Elites for a long while.

This was yesterday...

Trump lost in 2020 because he lied to the American people, and Americans don't like when their President wilfully lies about things like COVID, and how serious the deadly disease is. Your asinine claim that Trump "would win if he runs" is laughable, unprovable, and is summarily dismissed as unrealistic, politically biased nonsense.

Trump lost in 2020 because he lied to the American people, and Americans don't like when their President wilfully lies about things like COVID, and how serious the deadly disease is. Your asinine claim that Trump "would win if he runs" is laughable, unprovable, and is summarily dismissed as unrealistic, politically biased nonsense.
Wrong.

"Wrong" about what, 'specifically'? Just posting "Wrong", without any supporting evident is debating weak sauce at it it's worst.. Lazy 'debating', actually.

Last edited:

This was yesterday...

Those boats are priced out of reach for the rank and file conservatives. What are these ‘elites; that you speak of?

Those boats are priced out of reach for the rank and file conservatives. What are these ‘elites; that you speak of?
The Republican rank and file are not just poor people.

The GOP Elites are the politicians who's only concern is serving their big money donors and lobbyists...the ones who put them in power.

This was yesterday...

Nope

trump is damage goods

correction: MOST American people don't like it when their president willfully lies. 74 million indicated, back in November, that honesty, morality, competence and fitness for office mean very little.....

Back
Top Bottom