• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I'm So Old I Remember...

I remember seeing the NBC Peacock in black and white, because we didn't have a color TV.
I didn't even realize that Combat! and Gilligan's Island were in color until I was visiting a friend. We didn't get a color TV until 1983.

One of the items that came with my house was a "carpet rake"... remember those?

i don't think that i saw one of those. we didn't have shag carpet, but i visited a number of houses that did.

vacuum cleaners were also cool back then. we had two Filter Queens. one was for vacuuming. the other one was switched on reverse flow. we used it as a hair dryer. it would dry your hair in about a minute. when the vacuum cleaner broke, we took it to the vacuum repair shop.

I'm so old that I remember when I first ate a banana and was disappointed that it was so tame. (I was 9 I suppose I must have eaten some banana when I was 2 or 3 but I had, of course, forgotten.)

I didn't even realize that Combat! and Gilligan's Island were in color until I was visiting a friend. We didn't get a color TV until 1983.
Combat! was in black and white for years when it first started. It was one of the shows that ran through the transition from the b&w to the color era. I still watch b&w episodes on broadcast TV.

i don't think that i saw one of those. we didn't have shag carpet, but i visited a number of houses that did.
My current home was decorated in true 70's style when we bought it - RED shag carpet, black wallpaper, and ... installed black lights!

vacuum cleaners were also cool back then. we had two Filter Queens. one was for vacuuming. the other one was switched on reverse flow. we used it as a hair dryer. it would dry your hair in about a minute. when the vacuum cleaner broke, we took it to the vacuum repair shop.
I forgot about that! I remember using the reverse on the vacuum cleaner too, or, actually, plugging the hose into the other end. I still have a portable that you can do that with. This was our Hoover: The bottom was designed to "glide" across the carpet.

Last edited:
Combat! was in black and white for years when it first started. It was one of the shows that ran through the transition from the b&w to the color era. I still watch b&w episodes on broadcast TV.
Yes, I remember that "pilot" seasons were in B&W, and then they were in color if they were renewed. Get Smart! was another of those. Oh, and The Avengers, with Patrick McNee and Dianna Rigg.

I'm so old I bought one of these:
450px-Commodore-64-Computer-FL.jpg

8 bits, no monitor.

I'm so old, we used to stand up to change the channel.

I had a cousin who would lie on his back watching TV and change the channel with his foot. When we moved up the hill from the flatland, my parents bought a TV that had a "channel changer". It was the size of a remote garage opener with about five press keys that would make a loud click when pressed down to change channels. There were only, really, 3 TV stations. So 5 keys allowed for extra. Than an uncle rigged up a wire running to his TV to a 2"x2" box with a button that when pressed would kill the sound during commercials. Cool.

I’m so old I used to deliver news papers on my bicycle, before dawn every day of the week for years, when I was a minor.

Some of my earnings went towards buying 33rpm records from a local store that sold nothing but vinyl records and posters.
Me too.

I'm so old I remember "programming" our pop-top VCR, which featured dials and faux wood panels.

Shockwave media player.

I'm so old I bought one of these:
450px-Commodore-64-Computer-FL.jpg

8 bits, no monitor.
This was mine (attached to my Montgomery Ward TV and a daisywheel printer).
Coleco_Adam_(adjusted_version).jpg

I'm so old that I remember...

deliveryService

d2bc1c748d82d30331fa59755b277dfb--chocolate-shake-dairy-queen.jpg

I'm so old that I remember...

MV5BOWFhYTk0NTItODE3YS00YWI3LWE5YzgtMTgxYmMyZGI5Yzk1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1Mjc4OTI@._V1_.jpg

mathnet.jpg
6c6cce1f1f2a2f1fc7aee93c51ad8311.jpg

Back
Top Bottom