• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I'm So Old I Remember...

I remember driving drunk and being pulled over and the cop would just take you home, or follow you home..

Pretty stupid, but that's the way it was back then... Now I won't walk when I've been drinking let alone drive...

Excellent point with the phone # starting with letters.. I still remember ours. VICTOR... VI...

We also had a TV that used a radio frequency remote control. We couldn't hear the sound but our cat sure did, every time we push the button on the remote he went running..
I remember remotes were called clickers because the clicked when you switched channels. Loud, too. If you were watching channel 2 and wanted to watch channel 7 you had to click 5 times. One channel up the dial per click.

I remember HBO was the only premium channel and it signed off at 2 a.m.

I remember Masterpiece Theatre was introduced by Alistair Cooke in the library sitting on a red leather armchair next a green shaded table lamp.

I remember remotes were called clickers because the clicked when you switched channels. Loud, too. If you were watching channel 2 and wanted to watch channel 7 you had to click 5 times. One channel up the dial per click.

I remember HBO was the only premium channel and it signed off at 2 a.m.

I remember Masterpiece Theatre was introduced by Alistair Cooke in the library sitting on a red leather armchair next a green shaded table lamp.
All the channels went off the air about 1am or so...Late night theater then off the air... They'd play the national anthem, then have that stupid test pattern on or static until 6am or so..

I remember driving drunk and being pulled over and the cop would just take you home, or follow you home..

Pretty stupid, but that's the way it was back then... Now I won't walk when I've been drinking let alone drive...

My buddy had a bad alcohol problem. He was pulled over drunk more than once. One time the stopping officer asked Billy, “why are you driving, sir?” Billy didn’t miss a beat and replied, “in my condition, I can’t walk.”

I'm so old I remember when a straight branch was a sword and a farmer's plot was a field of battle

(I'm old enough to remember the farmer yelling for me to get the hell off his property too)

I'm old enough to remember burning cattails.

I'm old enough to remember catching lightning bugs.

I'm old enough to remember an old cardboard box was a fort.

I'm old enough to remember a tree, old tire, and a piece of rope was a swing set.

I'm old enough to remember the Willow tree's vines turning me into Tarzan

I'm old enough to remember it wasn't my parents job to entertain me.

I'm so old I remember party line telephone systems in the rural area we lived in. I'm so old I remember 2 channels on the TV.
So in Canada that was like 4-5 years ago?

I'm so old I remember when bands played ballads at concerts people held up Bic lighters instead of smartphones.

I'm so old I remember leaded gasoline.

(No politics, please.}
I'm so old I remember test patterns on tv before the station signed on and my phone number stared with a name...Ivanhoe3-1753

Crank phones anyone?

I had friends in Bryant's Pond Maine that still had crank phones into the 70's.

274054a4-068c-44fb-9fa4-74a6ff57217f-GettyImages-588601612.jpg

In another part of Maine..... you could listen into your neighbors juicy conversations because of party lines.

Riding in the back of open bed truck.

Waiting in line to buy concert tickets the day they went on sale.

Five dollar a carload drive in theaters.

California Cooler wine coolers.

The California Coolers with the little bits of pulp in them? Those were so much better than the ones they switched to.

Last edited:

I remember when they would see someone drinking in the car (not being drunk) and they would just have you pour the beer out and then go on your way.

I can remember when the country converted from that ridiculous old fashioned measurement of feet and inches to the better measurement of meters. Feels good to be living in the 21st century rather than still dragging along that ancient tech.
In the states we bask in our retro cool. 😁 Sort of like the Brits driving on the "correct side of the road".

Bias Ply tires used to be a lower cost option.

That's it... and IIRC there was actually a 'motor' that physically turned the channel dial. Hit the remote button and the channel dial would move/turn, 12 channel dial(2-13)... We got 4 channels, ABC, CBS, NBC and a PBS channel..

I was WRONG, it wasn't GE or RCA, it was Zenith that invented the Space Command type ultrasonic remote.
Boy howdy, I must be slipping because I should have remembered the brand name.

"Zenith - The quality goes in before the name goes on!"

I'm old enough to remember curb feelers on cars and TV sitcoms like, Topper, Life of Riley, Amos and Andy, I Married Joan, My Little Margie, Dobie Gillis, etc.

I'm old enough to remember curb feelers on cars and TV sitcoms like, Topper, Life of Riley, Amos and Andy, I Married Joan, My Little Margie, Dobie Gillis, etc.
Nothing says Old Fart like having curb feelers on your car.

Nothing says Old Fart like having curb feelers on your car.
Yeah, I was a kid then, didn't drive, but there were a lot of cars around with them. Don't remember them on my father's car though.

We didn't have them, but I remember some friends who had those clear plastic covers on their couches and chairs.

I remember when I remembered everyone's phone number. Now, if I don't have my cell, I have no idea how to call anyone, not even my mom.
I remember when digital watches became the rage Robert A. Heinlein predicted we'd forget the terms "quarter to" and "half past" because people would just read the exact digits on the watch. (didn't happen.)

Bias Ply tires used to be a lower cost option.
I remember reading in a car mag that if steel belted radials had been available for the old muscle cars they would have taken a full second off their quarter-mile times.

Back
Top Bottom