• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Illinois police mistook child’s ashes for drugs during traffic stop

If they actually thought it was drugs the cops would have confiscated it as evidence.

Every time I think you can’t get lower, you find a way to sink through the floor.
Maybe they were going to destroy the “drugs” and not charge the “possessors” much like many times police will enforce open container laws by pouring out the beverage on the ground.

I don’t know what was in their heads, and neither do you.

Maybe they were going to destroy the “drugs” and not charge the “possessors” much like many times police will enforce open container laws by pouring out the beverage on the ground.

So they were going to cover up a meth charge and only report the weed charge. Ridiculous.

Nonsense

Fact of the matter is that the cops’ actions were inexcusable, no matter how much you squirm.

Here is the article on which the NY Post article was based, and it offers a court document: https://newschannel20.com/news/loca...-stop-where-police-test-childs-ashes-for-meth

I can't be the only one who remembers one of the members here insisting that the ashes were in a plastic baggie.
That did not look like any kind of a baggie to me.
So right off the bat we have people here in this thread making up lies out of whole cloth.
Or did the NY Post lie about that? Which is it?

I guess that goes along with lying cops who insist cremated ashes test positive for meth, and then hiding behind "qualified immunity", which is basically a free pass to do anything and get away with it.
Some people, here and in Springfield, are lying. It won't be difficult to scour this thread for the lies about plastic baggies, but it will be extremely difficult to scour the Springfield PD to catch liars.
But if Springfield PD isn't lying, they wouldn't have to hide behind qualified immunity, would they?

I had to go find both videos (there is a part 2) and watch them all, this is all over the place.

Were the police not supposed to look at this item? Granted how they handled the item leaves a plethora of questions.

All of this could have been handled better, by everyone.

I had to go find both videos (there is a part 2) and watch them all, this is all over the place.

Were the police not supposed to look at this item? Granted how they handled the item leaves a plethora of questions.

I only read Nota's link. Was there anything you read or saw that confirmed that the ashes were thrown on the ground? The article I read made no mention of that.

I only read Nota's link. Was there anything you read or saw that confirmed that the ashes were thrown on the ground? The article I read made no mention of that.

The video in the article was ”Part 1,“ I watched in YouTube (not article embedded) and it pointed me to Part 2 and that is where most of the exchange really happened including some subsequence videos of news coverage.

The subject of the video, Dartavius Barnes, was driving around in a car with visible bullet holes, did ended up with a citation for possession, and had a rather unusual urn in kinda a bullet shape with some of the ashes from his daughter in it.

The body cam did show the officers test it but also mishandle the contents, claiming positive results. They gave the urn with whatever was not spilled out to Barnes’ dad who arrived on scene recognizing the car.

The whole thing is just idiotic.

No fighting, no endangerment, no resisting, other than poor handling of this urn no real outward behavior by those officers to cause this.

I do not like that it happened and I usually have plenty to say on the fiasco of the ‘war on drugs’ mentality leading to nonsense like this but damn, what a terrible condition and why ride around with some of your daughters ashes in a bullet shaped urn while carrying enough weed to get that sort of citation? The officers on scene had enough to arrest him, take the car, and everything else off to impound but ultimately decided not to.

Again, poor handling by everyone involved here and not just the officer who mishandled the contents of the urn. I’ve been pretty vocal lately about law enforcement and am usually very critical, unsure I can jump on this bandwagon for this event. Does not mean I am happy about all that happened but I am not going full on hate the police over this one.

Can there not be a single thread that doesn't revert to Trump or Biden? Just one?!!

The title of this forum is DEBATE POLITICS. When did the Right & Left stop blaming each other for this for all kinds of misfortune?

Last edited:
If he thought they were drugs and he scattered them on the ground isn't he destroying evidence?
The police don't seem to give a shit about people's possessions and feel free to smash stuff and do things like this.

I'm unsure how anyone can defend this.
He only said that he thought they were drugs after he found out that he ****ed up.

The bootlickers are a comin.
Hopefully none lick up the ashes...
If the cops really thought a huge bag of ashes were drugs, they never would have just dumped it on the ground. I call BS on the cops' story. They knew exactly what they were doing.
Exactly...

Last edited:

I don't see them dump anything... I have watched it twice.

Look at the pix in the article. The 'ashes' were not in a customary urn. They were in multiple clear plastic baggies, looking just like drugs.
That is how you receive your relative's ashes from a crematorium. They are placed in an urn by the funeral home.

Holy shit... wtf...
Arent you glad that you are a Canuk instead of an American? This would not be tolerated by Canadians from their police, but it's SOP for American cops.

If he thought they were drugs and he scattered them on the ground isn't he destroying evidence?
sure seems it
perhaps the cop's suspicion was not very strong

The police don't seem to give a shit about people's possessions and feel free to smash stuff and do things like this.
Why would they?
I mean other than basic human decency.

There are no consequences for destroying someone's house and possessions during "police work" even if the cops **** up and are at the wrong place to start.

I'm unsure how anyone can defend this.
Watch this thread and be patient.
The power of authoritarians to rationalize is astounding and phenomenal.

Look at the pix in the article. The 'ashes' were not in a customary urn. They were in multiple clear plastic baggies, looking just like drugs.
I have the remains of two people.
Neither of them have ever been in urns.

The parents could’ve also not packaged the ashes like drugs.
LOL.
those ****en grieving parents.
Wtf is wrong with them?
Why did it not occur to them that a cop might think their dead child's ashes look like drugs?

I don’t know where the left gets the idea you have a right to never have anything negative happen to you.
Idk where you get the idea that anyone has that idea.

that's not an option for felony drug possession, only minor misdemeanors

I can't be the only one who remembers one of the members here insisting that the ashes were in a plastic baggie.
That did not look like any kind of a baggie to me.
So right off the bat we have people here in this thread making up lies out of whole cloth.
Or did the NY Post lie about that? Which is it?
Authoritarians don't give a shit if the stuff they say is the truth or not.
Words are just another tool to use for their ends

Officer A:

"I'm just gonna give him a notice to appear on the weed"

Officer B:

"OK, aside from pissing off dad and testing the dead baby ashes"

What a sad story.

His young daughter was killed by his ex and her man,
He has bullet holes in his car,
Cop stops him for speeding away from shots fired,
He discloses that he has pot and consents to search,
Turn out he has a bit too much pot,
His daughters ashes are checked because,
He is show his daughters container and is told it's drugs,

Thankfully his father is nearby looking out for him.

Last edited:
Arent you glad that you are a Canuk instead of an American? This would not be tolerated by Canadians from their police, but it's SOP for American cops.

I mean....yeah, I'm glad to be a Canuck....hehe... But we've got our problems up here too, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom