• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Illinois police mistook child’s ashes for drugs during traffic stop

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Police in Illinois allegedly mistook the ashes of a grieving dad’s 2-year-old daughter for drugs, according to reports.

“No, no, no, bro, that’s my daughter!” said Dartavius Barnes on video from a Springfield police bodycam, obtained by WICS, the Springfield ABC affiliate. Barnes was pulled over last year, and is now suing the Springfield police department and the Illinois city.

Police, who were searching Barnes’ vehicle for drugs, opened a cylinder containing the child’s ashes and scattered them on the ground during the search, court records say.
==================================================
Guess what color this poor guy is.

If he thought they were drugs and he scattered them on the ground isn't he destroying evidence?
The police don't seem to give a shit about people's possessions and feel free to smash stuff and do things like this.

I'm unsure how anyone can defend this.

:( that is tragic and traumatic. That poor man.

:( that is tragic and traumatic. That poor man.
This from a self-described conservative? I would have expected you to blame this on Biden.

If he thought they were drugs and he scattered them on the ground isn't he destroying evidence?
The police don't seem to give a shit about people's possessions and feel free to smash stuff and do things like this.

Look at the pix in the article. The 'ashes' were not in a customary urn. They were in multiple clear plastic baggies, looking just like drugs.

Look at the pix in the article. The 'ashes' were not in a customary urn. They were in multiple clear plastic baggies, looking just like drugs.

In that case he should have carefully gathered up the bags so the contents could be tested.
They could then have taken a small sample to test and found it wasn't drugs and not been in a situation where they destroyed the ashes of a todler.

Assuming that most of us never made any mistakes, I wonder why we never report any good news, good deeds.
I could write a very long list of mistakes by professionals but suppose the list of those going out of their way to do good would far outweigh the bad.
So I ponder...

The bootlickers are a comin.

This from a self-described conservative? I would have expected you to blame this on Biden.
I have no reason to doubt his sincerity why would you?

Assuming that most of us never made any mistakes, I wonder why we never report any good news, good deeds.
I could write a very long list of mistakes by professionals but suppose the list of those going out of their way to do good would far outweigh the bad.
So I ponder...
As someone who never made any mistakes (ahem), I applaud this post.

Oh FFS, it's bad enough that most of the cons here are Trumpers but I would expect you to know that @cpwill isn't a Trump-bot and doesn't have BDS.

Maybe they didn't have a chance to do that yet, or maybe they didn't have enough money to pay the typical thousands charged for an urn yet.
Or maybe he should have anticipated that cops would act like complete asses and taken steps to ensure that the ashes could be readily identified by a bunch of pissed off bad attitude cops who wouldn't have cared less anyway.
Or .... maybe ... the cops could have just simply FOLLOWED PROCEDURE.

In which case they should have been taken into custody for testing to determine what they were, and returned when they were determined NOT to be an illegal substance.

The article said the ashes were in baggies inside a sealed urn. Don't know about humans but it's quite common to put a pet's cremated remains in baggies inside of urns. The cops had to break the seal on the urn to get the little bags of ashes out.

It's horrible the way the toddler died....and then to have her ashes desecrated by the police only compounded the tragedy.

That's not what you said in the OP.

If the cops really thought a huge bag of ashes were drugs, they never would have just dumped it on the ground. I call BS on the cops' story. They knew exactly what they were doing.

Take people as individuals and consider how they behave in these fora. Cpwill is nothing like that.

Maybe they didn't have a chance to do that yet, or maybe they didn't have enough money to pay the typical thousands charged for an urn yet.
Or maybe he should have anticipated that cops would act like complete asses and taken steps to ensure that the ashes could be readily identified by a bunch of pissed off bad attitude cops who wouldn't have cared less anyway.
Or .... maybe ... the cops could have just simply FOLLOWED PROCEDURE.
I can't believe that destroying potential evidence is "procedure", although it may be a routine practice.

In that case he should have carefully gathered up the bags so the contents could be tested.
They could then have taken a small sample to test and found it wasn't drugs and not been in a situation where they destroyed the ashes of a todler.

The parents could’ve also not packaged the ashes like drugs.

I don’t know where the left gets the idea you have a right to never have anything negative happen to you.

I don’t know where the left gets the idea you have a right to never have anything negative happen to you.

If they actually thought it was drugs the cops would have confiscated it as evidence.

Every time I think you can’t get lower, you find a way to sink through the floor.

I don't know how "cremains" are packaged from the funeral home/crematorium, but I do know that when my brother-in-law mailed my sister's ashes to me and others, they were in little plastic "envelopes." Jewelry is also mailed in these, and I don't know what else.

Back
Top Bottom