• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Illegal aliens wearing Biden shirts

++ Yes, and people from Guatemala and El Salvador whose entire families were murdered were denied asylum en masse under Reagan. When a country is committing mass murder as Guatemala was, don't you think that an asylum approval rate of less than 1% is a bit weird? It was so notoriously bad that after Reagan left, under the first Bush, the system was reformed, and critics like me were actually invited to participate in the training of asylum officers about country conditions. US diplomats in the region admitted to me that they knew the reality and tried to communicate it to DC. But Reagan was a shameless hypocrite on human rights. He lit a candle for the persecuted labor leaders in Poland, persecuted labor leaders in Poland expressed solidarity with persecuted labor leaders in Chile. The Chilean military burned my friend's daughter alive. In Argentina, they would wait til a pregnant leftist they had imprisoned without charge gave birth, then give her baby to the military and drop her from a helicopter into the Atlantic. Reagan couldn't be bothered to object to such things.
Reagan's administration quite literally dropped boxes of arms from planes, MREs and cash to guerilla fighters that were hiding in the jungles of Honduras during the 80s in an operation that was not authorized by Congress....those would be the Contras....

++ What asylum rate are you talking about? The average was 20% or so for everyone. It was less than 1% for Guatemalans, less than 3% for Salvadorans, but 40% or so for Nicaraguans and over 70% for Poles. Not to knock the rate for those leftist countries, but they were pikers in mass murder and torture compared to the right wingers in Central America. As I said, Reagan administration diplomats confided to me that they knew what was going on. When I asked one about a fellow who had simply *witnessed* a military abduction off the street in El Salvador, the embassy official said, "Well, I'm leaving in a couple weeks, so I don't care. He's a dead man. Tell him to get out of the country." This when Reagan officials were saying there was no need to flee.

++ Of course the left did it. I worked with Cuban refugees who fled Castro, Nicaraguans who fled the leftist Sandinistas. They understood why people were fleeing El Sal and Guatemala, even if Reagan officials seemed puzzled.
how do you the assylum rate was low? do you have sources

and if you admit the left was doing it too, was reagen just apart of the continental left vs right war

how do you the assylum rate was low? do you have sources

and if you admit the left was doing it too, was reagen just apart of the continental left vs right war
The asylum rates were issued by the government at the time, by the INS, (what ICE used to be called.), and published in newsletters. In fairness to the INS, however, their examiners had to deal with just about all immigration cases: visas, marriages, etc. They were required to submit asylum applications to the State Department's Bureau of Human Rights and Humanitarian Affairs, and the latter issued what I believe - if I remember correctly - were called "country letters," advising the INS as the the validity of the claim. The INS officials invariably followed the State Dept.'s extremely biased lead. Some of the letters were notoriously, albeit unintentionally, hilarious in how they described conditions in El Salvador and Guatemala. They often were identical, except for the name of the asylum seeker. I saved some of these and showed them to my Canadian counterpart who dealt with asylum claims, and he couldn't believe that a government agency could issue such opinions that flew in the face of overwhelming evidence of tens of thousand of government murders in the two countries. Lawyers who represented these nationalities of asylum seekers said that a few INS examiners told them that they only paid attention to the positive ones, so bad were the State opinions. But they were the main reason for the lousy asylum approval rate for those nationalities, and the higher approval rates for people from leftist countries.

As I noted in a previous post, such was the embarrassing and infamous absurdity of some of the opinions and decisions that the system was reformed when Reagan left and Bush became prez. A new corps of specially trained "asylum officers" was formed to deal with such cases. And in fact, such was the common knowledge of the brutality of the Salvadoran regime and its military, that "temporary protected status" was then granted to all Salvadoran nationals who had arrived by a certain date, as had been granted to countries where there was armed conflict.

Another somewhat disgraceful episode during Reagan's was the US interdiction on the high seas of Haitians trying to leave that country, preventing them from going anywhere and returning them to Haiti, often with no consideration of their asylum claims. Obviously a bridge too far even for Reaganites, the policy was modified to bring them to Guantanamo where they might have their asylum cases considered. I visited them courtesy of the State Department, and who I ran into were not starving migrants, but young healthy men, targets of the Haitian government, one who said through interpreters that he would gladly go back to Haiti if we gave him a rifle to fight its repressive government.

Last edited:
The asylum rates were issued by the government at the time, by the INS, (what ICE used to be called.), and published in newsletters. In fairness to the INS, however, their examiners had to deal with just about all immigration cases: visas, marriages, etc. They were required to submit asylum applications to the State Department's Bureau of Human Rights and Humanitarian Affairs, and the latter issued what I believe - if I remember correctly - were called "country letters," advising the INS as the the validity of the claim. The INS officials invariably followed the State Dept.'s extremely biased lead. Some of the letters were notoriously, albeit unintentionally, hilarious in how they described conditions in El Salvador and Guatemala. They often were identical, except for the name of the asylum seeker. I saved some of these and showed them to my Canadian counterpart who dealt with asylum claims, and he couldn't believe that a government agency could issue such opinions that flew in the face of overwhelming evidence of tens of thousand of government murders in the two countries. Lawyers who represented these nationalities of asylum seekers said that a few INS examiners told them that they only paid attention to the positive ones, so bad were the State opinions. But they were the main reason for the lousy asylum approval rate for those nationalities, and the higher approval rates for people from leftist countries.

As I noted in a previous post, such was the embarrassing and infamous absurdity of some of the opinions and decisions that the system was reformed when Reagan left and Bush became prez. A new corps of specially trained "asylum officers" was formed to deal with such cases. And in fact, such was the common knowledge of the brutality of the Salvadoran regime and its military, that "temporary protected status" was then granted to all Salvadoran nationals who had arrived by a certain date, as had been granted to countries where there was armed conflict.

Another somewhat disgraceful episode during Reagan's was the US interdiction on the high seas of Haitians trying to leave that country, preventing them from going anywhere and returning them to Haiti, often with no consideration of their asylum claims. Obviously a bridge too far even for Reaganites, the policy was modified to bring them to Guantanamo where they might have their asylum cases considered. I visited them courtesy of the State Department, and who I ran into were not starving migrants, but young healthy men, targets of the Haitian government, one who said through interpreters that he would gladly go back to Haiti if we gave him a rifle to fight its repressive government.
Salvadoran and Nicaraguan...it was known as NACARA and occurred far too late for many

ok great but i take it that it was a war between left and right on a continental scale and reagen was part of it, he probsably didnt want suspected left wing terrorists entering the US

ok great but i take it that it was a war between left and right on a continental scale and reagen was part of it, he probsably didnt want suspected left wing terrorists entering the US
Reagan needed to stay out of it and there wasn't a danger of Sandinistas entering the US nor any terrorists...here is a reality check for you..

1626451617487.png

Reagan needed to stay out of it and there wasn't a danger of Sandinistas entering the US nor any terrorists...here is a reality check for you..

View attachment 67343108
there was a clear danger as left wings groups were rising in the 70's and reagen got involved for his ideological goals

there was a clear danger as left wings groups were rising in the 70's and reagen got involved for his ideological goals
those people with guns killing civilians are right wingers....we needed to mind our own damned business. Your hero, right winger Juan Orlando Hernandez is a cartel king pin that traffics poison into the US....but continue your love fest with how great he is because he's a right winger.

those people with guns killing civilians are right wingers....we needed to mind our own damned business. Your hero, right winger Juan Orlando Hernandez is a cartel king pin that traffics poison into the US....but continue your love fest with how great he is because he's a right winger.
nope,

200 people killed because of left wing hatred of catholics

Read the link. Horrible, brutal, but they didn’t seem to be targeting those in the Church.
why did the left wing kill 119 civilians?

and the right wing certainly killed a lot too, the fact is that this was a war and reagen entered the war

why did the left wing kill 119 civilians?

and the right wing certainly killed a lot too, the fact is that this was a war and reagen entered the war
They weren't aiming at civilians, as your article states. But the tragedy is cynically called "collateral damage" by people who fight wars. I still don't get your overall point.

It had to happen. Biden sent them the welcome sign and now we are bugged by illegal aliens.

tl63RGYaCg9Oh3m5N4rwTxSeouMFkR1naaZChNiZVYGuVpjbMxEbnenk2y48L7biyOW8YPl-frMLwee6=s0-d-e1-ft
they have great taste.

They would have said that. But nope, they came for Biden's blessings.
I interviewed plenty of these folks. They do express fear of returning. There are no doubt many who came for economic reasons. It's our job, based on law and treaty obligations, to sort them out. Of course this factor is naturally unmentioned if your purpose is to trash Biden.

They weren't aiming at civilians, as your article states. But the tragedy is cynically called "collateral damage" by people who fight wars. I still don't get your overall point.
why be mad at raegen when there is a entire other side to the conflict

I don’t understand.
do you admit that leftist terrorism kcould ahve drove people to america

I don’t understand.
do you admit that leftist terrorism kcould ahve drove people to america
Leftist government human rights abuses certainly did, as people fled Cuba and Nicaragua post revolution. Most leftist guerrilla movements had an interest in keeping people on their side - that’s where the Contras screwed up by killing folks they could have been trying to win over, tho they had tougher job winning hearts and minds since Nicaragua was never as repressive as were some of its neighbors. But there were indeed targeted assassinations by leftist groups that surely could have prompted migration, especially by upper class folks, families of high ranking military.

What is the purpose of the discussion on migration? 1- The US has a right to control it's borders; 2- people who come here for economic reasons have no right to do so, excepting for special status granted Cubans; 3- people fleeing persecution have a right to seek asylum here; 4- the US has an obligation to consider their claims, based in US law and ratified treaty; 5- Biden seems to recognize these principles, Trump didn't. 6- No mystery as to why an increasing number of migrants came to the border. End of story.

The situation is complex and requires varied approaches. But why should politicians recognize law and treaty and seek to explain them to the public when it's easier to be a demagogue, spreading fear, blaming Biden, visiting the border, sending troops, etc.

same culture, same language

is mexico closer in culture to columbia or USA?
Interesting question. My impression is that some South Americans (Chile/Argentina/Uruguay) in some cases Colombians, feel closer to US culture than they might to Mexican, with its indigenous bias.

Interesting question. My impression is that some South Americans (Chile/Argentina/Uruguay) in some cases Colombians, feel closer to US culture than they might to Mexican, with its indigenous bias.
i completely disagree

i completely disagree
Uruguay was called the Switzerland of South America, so European were its ways. Buenos Aires is compared to Paris. Even in language, many South Americans recoil at Mexico’s formality, i.e., it’s consistent use of “usted” (derivation of which comes from “vuestra merced,” - “your grace,” a throwback to the quasi feudal pre-revolutionary Mexico) as opposed to the more informal “tu.” Chileans I knew would tell me, who learned Spanish in Mexico, “will you stop calling me “usted!” Bolivia and Peru are somewhat different culturally than Argentina and Chile, the latter resembling Europe, the former deeply influenced by indigenous culture. Huge numbers of Italian and Spanish descendants live in Argentina, as opposed to other Latin American countries. Even in Central America, Costa Rica is significantly different culturally than its neighbors. I read that it was due in part to the Spanish wiping out more indigenous people there than they succeeded in doing in other parts of the region, creating a less varied, more homogenous culture in their murderous wake.

Back
Top Bottom