• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

If I had the money, I would...

alphieb said:
Just be careful what you invest in.

So far (not meaning to brag), I have a pretty good track record of investing in the stock market. I am not rich by any stretch of the imagaination, because riches don't come instantly or overnight and not to mention, had to use some of the money to pay for college education without having to take out any loans. I made money before, during and after the September 11 attacks from the stock market (you can make money whether the stock market is going up or down).

Few people have a good track record when it comes to investing in the stock market. Few mutual fund managers can beat the S & P 500. The smartest people who invest in the market acknowledge they don't know anything, don't try to beat the market and invest in cheap index funds. By acknowledging they don't know anything, they become smart and in the long term, make money from the stock market by investing in index funds because index funds merely mirror the performance of the market and in the long term, the market goes up in value, despite temporary downturns in some years. I don't buy into index funds, the strategy I pursue in my investments towards retirement goals is generally diversify myself into Large Cap, Mid-Cap, Small-Cap, bond funds and an index international fund and at times buy into a sector fund in a sector that I believe is undervalued. I buy mutual funds that buy stocks that are considered value buys, where a company's stock price is being sold lower than what it is really worth, these mutual funds that buy these kinds of stocks are called value funds.

Generally, before buying into a mutual fund, I will look at their top holdings, do some research on some of their top holdings and then look at the mutual fund's overall technical indicators. I think the three most important ratios are the Price Earnings ratio, the Price to Sale ratio and Return on Equity. I prefer to buy stocks and mutual funds that have a PE ratio below 10 and a Price to Sales ratio under 1.0. That is the ideal situation. Sometimes, the stock market becomes over-valued and it becomes hard to find good buys and PE ratios will be very high (which is a bad thing). People like Warren Buffet or Benjamin Graham (when he was still alive) will then become inactive in the stock market, because their is no value buys and stock prices are selling higher than what the shares are really worth and these sort of master investors will then resort to buying up private companies that they believe are under-valued and selling at a lower price than what they are really worth.

Warren Buffet and Benjamin Graham have never diversified as much as most people. It is one of the reason why they made so much money, because they made excellent, sure stock picks and poured alot of money into them. The Buffet's and the Graham's philosophy is that diversification is a protection against ignorance and their is nothing wrong with diversification, but, they say, it will get you average returns. However, I have been able to achieve above average returns while diversifying and I think it is because I make good sector bets and I buy value stock after extensive research. My philosophy, unlike Buffet's, is that everybody is ignorant to some degree and some degree of diversification is the best bet while investing in the market.

I'm a redneck...I invest in the lottery...my divestitures are between the $1, $3 and $5 scratch-offs:mrgreen:

Always say if I had the money, first thing I'd do is a facelift. Screw the bills....

If I had the money, I would be scuba diving all over the world.

If I had money, I would buy everything American and stimulate our economy so much that the Euro would plummet and wouldnt be worth anything except to wipe our asses.

If I had the money..........

I would be a career student as well. I would also get min. wage jobs and when people treat me like crap because they think they can get away with it I would unload on them. I would also build my own recording studio. I would buy the White House (it's for sale every four years). I would also buy a cell phone jammer for the car so people wouldn't be able to talk on the phone when I was around them.

Originally posted by independent_thinker2002:
I would also get min. wage jobs and when people treat me like crap because they think they can get away with it I would unload on them.
I have to admit, if I had the money, that would be a fantasy I would definately like to bring to fruitition.

After sending Europe into an economic depression, I would use the rest of my money to buy a 2006 supercharged Corvette and bring shame to all ricers withen driving distance of my house.

Originally posted by ddoyle00:
After sending Europe into an economic depression, I would use the rest of my money to buy a 2006 supercharged Corvette and bring shame to all ricers withen driving distance of my house.
A corvette?
If I had the money, I would get a '67 Shelby GT Cobra and blow your doors off!

Getting back to my very first post, if I had the money I would tour this country by train, isn't one of the most beautiful things this country has to offer is its landscape?

If I had the money, I would....

*Stay home with my kids full time. But my husband would still have to have a job :lol:

*Go to all 36 races on the NASCAR Nextel Cup schedule (in one year).

*Buy a house.

*Give to charities - specifically those designed to help abused children.

Those are in no particular order, and definitely not the limit of what I'd do, but those were the first things that came to mind :mrgreen:

Bill..Bill...Bill.

Pick up this months copy of Road and Track to see the stats on the 2006 Z06 Corvette. You will read that it has 505 HP and has a 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds. Your precious GT500 would only be a distant memory in the rearview of the Vette. The only thing that the Cobra has going for it is its nostalgic appeal, which is why you wont find one in good shape for under $100,000 while the Corvette costs $69,000.

So if you want to pay almost twice as much for a car that takes twice as long to get somewhere, be my guest.

Originally posted by ddoyle00:
Bill..Bill...Bill.

Pick up this months copy of Road and Track to see the stats on the 2006 Z06 Corvette. You will read that it has 505 HP and has a 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds. Your precious GT500 would only be a distant memory in the rearview of the Vette. The only thing that the Cobra has going for it is its nostalgic appeal, which is why you wont find one in good shape for under $100,000 while the Corvette costs $69,000.

So if you want to pay almost twice as much for a car that takes twice as long to get somewhere, be my guest.
ddoyle00 me boy, I don't know anything about cars. I think my car runs better after its washed. But I will say this, I like the look to the '68 Stingray better than any Vette look.

Originally posted by Galenrox:
That is disgusting, and I wish you had not of telling me this.

I also wish I had had less to dribnk beforeand so it would've made me not quite as likely to vomitl.
Let me help. Just picture Loui Anderson and Rosanne Barr trying to f_ck it out!

It's the first door on the left...

Billo_Really said:
If I had the money, I would take a site-seeing tour of the United States by train. Taking in all the sites from Alaska to Maine, from California to Florida. And party every mile along the way.

If I had the money I would pay off my mother's house and have it fixed.Help out my other familiy members.I would buy me a house,pay off my college debt,fix my car,and pre-pay alot of my bills for several months or even a few years.

If I had the money, I would get me one of those American Chopper bikes and just ride, ride, ride...

If I had the money, I would get me a stable of bitches.

If I had the money, I would get oldreliable67 a set of balls.

If I had the money, I would buy KCConservative a picture of Jesus Christ. He seems to have forgotton what he looks like.

If I had the money, I would take a year off from work, get everything set up for it, and hike the Appalachian trail.

Oh, forgot, I'm engaged now. Man...

Originally posted by hiker:
If I had the money, I would take a year off from work, get everything set up for it, and hike the Appalachian trail.

Oh, forgot, I'm engaged now. Man...
Take her along and let her bitch every step of the way.

Back
Top Bottom