• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If every state had the same abortion law, it would be.....

(Please read the OP) and then vote! :)

• Total voters
No questions asked up to 21 weeks.

After 21 weeks - no elective abortions.

I answered 21-24 weeks, but 21 is my absolute personal cut-off.

No doctor has to abide by what the woman wants her/him to do at any point in pregnancy. If a doctor personally believes that all abortion, even abortion to save the life of the woman, is morally wrong, she/he does not have to perform any abortions. If a doctor's medical judgment is against abortion in any particular case, she/he does not have to perform an abortion in that particular case. There is no abortion on the mere demand of the woman in the US, because any doctor has a right to decline to perform one on either of those counts. Where did you get the notion that this is only about the woman? It is also about the doctor.

What medical judgment? Shouldn't the doctor's only concern be for the woman since the baby has no rights or value as long as it's in the womb? As long as it's safe for the mom to kill the baby, what right does the doc have to make the woman a parent against her will?

Those people are not speaking about legality. They are not advocating laws that allow people to deprive newborns of legal rights as legal persons. But those people who advocate laws against abortion are, in my view, advocating laws that allow people to deprive pregnant women of legal rights as legal persons. I don't like or respect that and will stand, speak, and vote against that with the power of my own life and liberty.

Thank you, Patrick Henry. I, on the other hand, oppose the destruction of children, which I get, is of no concern to you. If they're saying it should be legal a little after the birth of child, then they are talking legality, and as far as I can tell, there isn't one pro-choicer that has a problem with that perspective.

What medical judgment? Shouldn't the doctor's only concern be for the woman since the baby has no rights or value as long as it's in the womb? As long as it's safe for the mom to kill the baby, what right does the doc have to make the woman a parent against her will?

After about 20 weeks gestation abortions are much more dangerous for the woman. That is one of the main reasons why most doctors will not perform an abortion after 20 weeks unless something is very wrong with the fetus or the woman's
life or long term health is at great risk.

After about 20 weeks gestation abortions are much more dangerous for the woman. That is one of the main reasons why most doctors will not perform an abortion after 20 weeks unless something is very wrong with the fetus or the woman's
life or long term health is at great risk.

That must be very disappointing for you.

I'd rather there be NO abortions but, in reality, once you know you're pregnant, just how long does it take one to make up their mind?

The major fuss (on the Left's part) at the Texas Capitol about a 20 week limit seems ludicrous.

That must be very disappointing for you.

Of course not.
I agree that 20 weeks except in the case severe fetal deformaives is plently of time for a woman to choose to have elective abortions.

Fetal deformatites do not show up until about 18 -20 weeks gestation.

I'd rather there be NO abortions but, in reality, once you know you're pregnant, just how long does it take one to make up their mind?

The major fuss (on the Left's part) at the Texas Capitol about a 20 week limit seems ludicrous.

the major fuss at the Texas capitol was not about the 20 week gestation limit but rather about the new restrictions on the clinics and the Doctors which would shutter over half the clinics in Texas including the ones who do not perform surgeries but only perscribe abortion medication that is taken at home by the woman.

A doctor can, because of personal belief, including religious belief, refuse to perform an abortion. A doctor can allow such belief to affect her/his medical judgment in deciding whether or not to perform an abortion. Usually, a woman chooses an obgyn based on her own belief, checking to find out what the belief of the obgyn is before deciding on her/him as her doctor. Hence, extreme pro-life women select extreme pro-life obgyns, more moderate pro-life women select moderate pro-life obgyns, and pro-choice women select pro-choice obgyns.

The doctor who opts not to have anything to do with abortion is not making the woman a parent against her will. She/he is simply not offering a specialized service. Quite a few obgyns have had little or no training or experience in performing abortions, so their patients would go to someone else for that service anyway.

The main problem has arisen in the case of places like hospitals. If the whole hospital is anti-abortion, as with Catholic hospitals, there may be no doctor willing to offer Plan B to a rape victim in the emergency room until a pregnancy test has been done to prove that she is not yet pregnant, and such hospitals may refuse to allow abortions to be performed there.

the major fuss at the Texas capitol was not about the 20 week gestation limit but rather about the new restrictions on the clinics and the Doctors which would shutter over half the clinics in Texas including the ones who do not perform surgeries but only perscribe abortion medication that is taken at home by the woman.

But the medication to that causes an abortion (or prevents pregnancy) is OTC now.

Thank you, Patrick Henry. I, on the other hand, oppose the destruction of children, which I get, is of no concern to you. If they're saying it should be legal a little after the birth of child, then they are talking legality, and as far as I can tell, there isn't one pro-choicer that has a problem with that perspective.

You are wrong. To me, a born infant is a person. If somebody says, "I wouldn't mind if it were legal to kill a born infant," I would merely find that distasteful. But if somebody says, "It should be legal to kill a born infant," I will say a great big "No" and stand, speak, and vote against that with the power of my own life and liberty.

For me, when it's inside the woman's body and receiving life from her life, it is not a person, but when it's outside her body, it is a person. I make a complete distinction between these categories, supporting the woman's right to choose when it's inside her body, while accepting that states have a right to ban abortion after viability if they make exceptions in case of threat to the woman's life or health as medically determined, and supporting the born infant's right to life. I agree with Roe v Wade and Planned Parenthood v Casey. So do many millions of other pro-choice people.

But the medication to that causes an abortion (or prevents pregnancy) is OTC now.

You are incorrect. Plan B is over the counter. It can prevent pregnancy, but it cannot abort a pregnancy. RU486, or more precisely the two-step medication with mifepristone and misoprostol, which can abort a pregnancy, can only be obtained from a licensed physician.

Plan B which prevents ovulation but does not cause an abortion is over the counter.
Plan B only has progesterone in it. It can delay ovulation so if used right after unprotected sex it can prevent pregnancy.
Progeterone is also used by pregnant women to help a fertilized egg implant and stay implanted.
Doctors prescribe it for their IVF patients and patients who are at high risk for miscarriages.
Progeterone will not cause a miscarriage and it will not harm a fetus.

There is an abortion medication RU 486 that will loosen the placenta and cause cramping so the fetus and placenta are expelled in a heavy type period. This medication can used up to 9 weeks gestation.

A lot of abortion clinics only use this method of abortion for their clients.

You are wrong. To me, a born infant is a person. If somebody says, "I wouldn't mind if it were legal to kill a born infant," I would merely find that distasteful. But if somebody says, "It should be legal to kill a born infant," I will say a great big "No" and stand, speak, and vote against that with the power of my own life and liberty.

For me, when it's inside the woman's body and receiving life from her life, it is not a person, but when it's outside her body, it is a person. I make a complete distinction between these categories, supporting the woman's right to choose when it's inside her body, while accepting that states have a right to ban abortion after viability if they make exceptions in case of threat to the woman's life or health as medically determined, and supporting the born infant's right to life. I agree with Roe v Wade and Planned Parenthood v Casey. So do many millions of other pro-choice people.

So you just find the position that killing a newborn is ok merely mildly distasteful but being pro-life is downright evil. Ok. If it's not a baby and has no value to you at all, and, in fact, it's this parasite and this thing to be reviled, what difference should the stage of pregnancy matter to you?

It would require a Constitutional amendment to do this, but the human rights abuse of abortion should be banned nationwide.

You are incorrect. Plan B is over the counter. It can prevent pregnancy, but it cannot abort a pregnancy. RU486, or more precisely the two-step medication with mifepristone and misoprostol, which can abort a pregnancy, can only be obtained from a licensed physician.

Seems to me that if one is personally responsible, either by using proper protection or having the Plan B in case of a real screw up, there should be no need for abortion at all.

It would require a Constitutional amendment to do this, but the human rights abuse of abortion should be banned nationwide.

perfect examply of illogical hypocrisy, banning aboriton would just create another human rights violation

Seems to me that if one is personally responsible, either by using proper protection or having the Plan B in case of a real screw up, there should be no need for abortion at all.

But no BC method is perfect.
Most Woman are fertile over a 30 year and BC is not perfect so even women who use BC faithfully may experience 1 or 2 unplanned pregnancies during their lifetime.

Plan B is up to 89 percent effective whinin 72 hours and up to 95 percent effective if taking within 24 hours so even if taken within 24 hours there is still at least a 5 percent chance it will not work.

You can know what someone is thinking? Interesting..... psychic I see....

HAHA

Dude can you recall anything from back in the womb or as a infant? NOPE

Did you know of your existence back then? NOPE because you lacked the mental capabilities to actually know of your own existence and put value into it

So you just find the position that killing a newborn is ok merely mildly distasteful but being pro-life is downright evil. Ok. If it's not a baby and has no value to you at all, and, in fact, it's this parasite and this thing to be reviled, what difference should the stage of pregnancy matter to you?

No, if someone says, "I wouldn't mind if it were legal to kill a born infant," I find that distasteful, but after all, it is just words and in a rather passive form. I see you want me to respond with anger. Having experienced being forcibly raped and having my life threatened on separate occasions, having encountered other violent people, and having heard a great many distasteful, vulgar, disgusting things said across the course of my life, I don't do that. Anger is counter-productive, especially over passive verbal statements.

If people appeal to force to actively do something to violate others' rights, and law is just one type of force, I believe in making a serious effort to stop them. But if they just use words to say in passive form this sort of distasteful thing, I just assume it's because they don't take words seriously. Most people don't take words very seriously.

No form of contraception is 100% effective. No combination of forms of contraception is 100% effective. The idea is to get people to use contraception correctly to maximize its effectiveness. That doesn't mean unwanted pregnancy will never occur.

HAHA

Dude can you recall anything from back in the womb or as a infant? NOPE

Did you know of your existence back then? NOPE because you lacked the mental capabilities to actually know of your own existence and put value into it

So you can recal everything from your childhood? And it has already been proven that twins interact and communicate in the womb, so not sure how you have any standing there.

So you can recal everything from your childhood? And it has already been proven that twins interact and communicate in the womb, so not sure how you have any standing there.

There is no need to remember everything from your childhood because your brains stores the important stuff back then not trivial stuff

And that little twin part doesn't cut it as cats and dogs interact and communicate but lack the mental capabilities to actually know of their own existence just like the unborn do and a infant

Humans don't show that sense of self until some years after birth and you know what I mean by that

Something with the mental capabilities of a dog or cat lacks the ability to support that sense of self also

Last edited:
There is no need to remember everything from your childhood because your brains stores the important stuff back then not trivial stuff

And do the twins remember that nope my point still stands

Humans don't show that sense of self until some years after birth and you know what I mean by that

Something with the mental capabilities of a dog or cat doesn't have that sense of self either

And you have already established you think it is ok to kill the babies, I rest my case with that.

Back
Top Bottom