• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

If Cheney has to resign...

If Cheney must resign, who should GWB pick as VP?

• John McCain

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Condi Rice

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Newt Gingrich

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Goobieman

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
If the guy Cheney shot dies, and a grand jury indicts him, he will have to resign.

Who should GWB replace him with?

Conventional wisdom is to relace him with a strong candidate for the 2008 election, giving him a leg up over the competition (especially the Dems).

However, depending on what happens over the next two years, a VP/Presidential candidate would be associated with any failures the administration may face over the next 2 years and possibly suffer from it - so, perhaps, someone that won;t run for President might be a good idea.

My vote is Condi Rice -- certainly qualified, and certainly on the short list in any event. Naturally, there are other political benefits from this as well, she being a black woman and all...

Goobieman said:
If the guy Cheney shot dies, and a grand jury indicts him, he will have to resign.

Accidentally shooting someone isn't a crime.

Kandahar said:

No, but the democrats think being a republican in power is. Thus, they will try to blow this completely out of proportion...wait!! They already are.

Blue Collar Joe said:
No, but the democrats think being a republican in power is. Thus, they will try to blow this completely out of proportion...wait!! They already are.

Which well-known Democratic politicians have blown this issue out of proportion? Please give me their names. It seems to me that most of them have barely commented on it at all.

Don't you know that crying wolf all the time will lower your credibility if they actually DO blow something out of proportion?

Kandahar said:

Aside from the obvious 'the question assumes he has to resign'...

Depends on the DA - if he can get a grand jry to indict for a crime, then its a crime. Involuntary manslaughter? Negligent homicide? Who knows.

But the question, again, is IF he has to resign...

Kandahar said:
Which well-known Democratic politicians have blown this issue out of proportion? Please give me their names. It seems to me that most of them have barely commented on it at all.

Don't you know that crying wolf all the time will lower your credibility if they actually DO blow something out of proportion?

Democrat doesn't denote politician at all times. No where in my post did I mention any names. If I wanted to point out something of that severity, I would have commented as such. It was meant to be a sarcastic comment. And my credibility isn't a major concern to me. I post my opinion and that is all I need do.

Blue Collar Joe said:
Democrat doesn't denote politician at all times. No where in my post did I mention any names. If I wanted to point out something of that severity, I would have commented as such. It was meant to be a sarcastic comment. And my credibility isn't a major concern to me. I post my opinion and that is all I need do.

If you actually want people to take you seriously around here, you ought to be concerned about your credibility.

I believe if the victim were to die even though the situation was accidental, it could still go before a grand jury.

Does Bush get to choose, I thought it just went to the Sect. of state?:confused:

Deegan said:
Does Bush get to choose, I thought it just went to the Sect. of state?:confused:

The President appoints and the Senate confirms.

galenrox said:
It could, but if Cheney's gonna resign because of this, it won't be because of criminal charges, it'll be if his unpopularity is bringing down the administration, which is actually possible. I heard on TV yesterday that Cheney's personal approval ratings are in the 20's.

I don't know anyone who likes Cheney :lol:, so those numbers are probably true.

The one time I actually thought he was amusing is when he told IIRC another senator or reporter to go '**** themself.'

Goobieman said:
The President appoints and the Senate confirms.

But the sec. of state takes the role initially correct?:confused:

galenrox said:
It could, but if Cheney's gonna resign because of this, it won't be because of criminal charges, it'll be if his unpopularity is bringing down the administration, which is actually possible. I heard on TV yesterday that Cheney's personal approval ratings are in the 20's.
If he was charged with something he couldn't ask to be tried after his term is up because of Jones vs. Clinton, so he could resign or reap a ton of negative attention on the Bush admin. because of his trial.

Deegan said:
But the sec. of state takes the role initially correct?:confused:

No, the office is just empty until the Senate confirms a new VP.

galenrox said:
For a long time I've liked Cheney a lot more than Bush, still do. For me I prefer the wolf over the wolf in sheeps clothing.
As much as I disagree with him, and think his policies sometimes border on straight up evil, you've gotta respect his "This is me, if you don't like it, then **** you" attitude. There's nothing about Bush that you have to respect.
I pretty much agree with all of that. At least Cheney does not pretend or pose as something he isn't. Unlike Bush, I can actually understand what Cheney says when he talks.

This was an accident and does not need to go before a grand jury. I am sure that there are other people who have been in similar situations and they have been arrested for negligence (or something like it), but that is wrong also. An accident is an accident and if it is clearly that, it should not be punishable.

I thought the picture of Bush flipping off a reporter was pretty damn funny as well.

Something I don't understand is why Republicans don't like John McCain.

McCain is nominated in '08, the White House is guaranteed - guaranteed! - to stay Red for eight years. A guy like McCain can beat the Democratic down-home Democrats like Warner that'll be running in '08.

Is McCain too in touch with what the American people want? I Guess that would go against conservative wisdom...

If McCain ran, I'd flip parties and caucas for him, then campaign for him, and you'd bet I'd vote for him. A Preisdent that could work both sides of the aisle! What an idea!!

So I think he should be the V.P.

This has become a Beltway story.The Vice President is going nowhere. The hysterical attacks on him by the white house press corp. is a joke. Now if by some cataclysmic happening we need a new VP. President Bush will pick MS Rice .Just so he can stick it to liberals and democrats,one more time.

Back
Top Bottom