• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Idaho to vote for a Constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage.

Navy Pride said:
That is not exactly true..........No gay marriages that have taken place in Mass. have been accepted in any other state as valid.............There may be some lawsuits pending on the matter though......

That is why it is imperative for every state to have their own amendment.......
Oh yeah, cause it's SO important that gay marriages performed in a tiny *** state aren't recognized.
Man, I understand you're doing this on principle, but this is a preposterous thing to be spending your time on.
Here's an important question, are there so many gay people who got married in Massachusetts in your area that you'd even notice, let alone be effected by the recognition of their marriages?

jallman said:
Yeah, pride...all I am saying is that you are forever bringing up disgusting irrelevancies when you talk about gay marriage...oh this time I am thinking, it wasnt marrying kids and animals, it was having sex with them. Let me refer you to the post and my response:

Navy Pride and Reference to Pedophilia and Bestiality

That cut and paste sure is some chit, aint it? :mrgreen:

I was probably a little upset to Champs or that radical gay guy that was posting here.........I apologize for that comment.........

That said there are gay as well as straight pedophiles

jallman said:
I dont see how what some attention grabbing heffer in does in England has any bearing on US legislation. I would be interested in finding out just how legal that "dolphin marriage" really is and how much of it was just media sensationalism. As for 14 year olds getting married in Ga...well for those of you who dont want to change the definition of "marriage", I guess you just have to live with that one because ages of consent are historically low...especially in the south.

jallman some of us might believe that the small radical gay sect that is pushing gay marriage my be and attention grabbig group............

galenrox said:
Man, is anyone suprised? It's ****ing Idaho, of course they're gonna ban gay marriage!

Galen you may not want to admit it but more and more states are adopting consittutional amendments banning gay marriage.....Some in the south are so upset over the in your face attitude by a few radical gays that they are also banning civil unions..........

galenrox said:
Oh yeah, cause it's SO important that gay marriages performed in a tiny *** state aren't recognized.
Man, I understand you're doing this on principle, but this is a preposterous thing to be spending your time on.
Here's an important question, are there so many gay people who got married in Massachusetts in your area that you'd even notice, let alone be effected by the recognition of their marriages?

Galen, you make some good points and I don't know the answer......I do know that no gay marriages that have taken place in Mass havenot been accepted in other states and I suspect the who issue will end up in the SCOTUS.........I think the states that have amendments are pretty safe but I am not sure about the rest.......

Great, we should take pride in their right as true freedom loving Americans to discriminate against other true freedom loving Americans because they don't like them and think they shouldn't be able to share a civil union and make life changing decisions for each other! I'm so happy right now I could scream!

But I won't truely be happy until I see the guy who married peanut butter to chocolate HUNG. What a supporter of perversion!

Navy Pride said:
Idaho will vote in November for a Constitutional Amendment to ban gay marriage.....

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420AP_ID_XGR_Gay_Marriage.html

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 · Last updated 3:03 p.m. PT

Senate passes proposed gay marriage amendment

By ANNE WALLACE ALLEN
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

BOISE, Idaho -- A proposed constitutional amendment banning gay marriage in Idaho passed the state Senate on Wednesday and will go to voters this November.

A similar proposal fell short of the required two-thirds majority last year. Sen. Tom Gannon, one of five lawmakers who changed their votes to help the measure pass 26-9, said he was responding to pressure from his constituents.

"I've been told by some that if I vote against this bill, I'll never see this place again," said Gannon, R-Buhl, as he stood outside the Senate chambers. "Sometimes you've got to go with what your constituents are telling you."

The measure passed the House 53-17 last week and now needs only a simple majority vote from the public to become part of the constitution.

Sponsored by Sen. Robert Geddes, R-Soda Springs, it provides that "a marriage between a man and a woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized" in Idaho.

Opponents of the measure had argued it is not necessary because state law already defines marriage as being between a man and a woman. Supporters claimed the amendment would prevent judges from overturning that law and would protect children and families.

Senators debated the matter for two hours before they voted. Sen. John Goedde, R-Coeur d'Alene, stood up midway through the voting roll call to explain why he was changing his vote.

"Let's let the citizens vote, and the Supreme Court determine the law of the land," he said.

Sen. Richard Compton, R-Coeur d'Alene, told his colleagues he was changing his vote because many people in his district had told him they wanted a chance to vote on the matter themselves.

"When I vote in my district I will vote no," he said.

This year was the third in a row for gay marriage in the Idaho Legislature. A similar proposal passed a Senate committee last year but failed to win a two-thirds majority in the full Senate. The year before, the measure died in a Senate committee after it passed the House.

"This is an issue that is not going away," said Goedde after the vote. "Let's let the people vote on it, and then take the court challenges."

Similar discussions are going on all around the country. Eighteen states have amended their constitutions to ban gay marriage. Massachusetts allows gay marriage, and Vermont and Connecticut allow same-sex civil unions that confer the same legal rights heterosexual married couples get.

As the Idaho Senate was preparing to vote Wednesday, New Jersey Supreme Court justices were questioning lawyers on the matter there. Seven same-sex couples have sued the state, saying it is violating its own constitution by denying them the right to marry.

It's cases like the one in New Jersey that require Idaho to change its constitution, said Geddes. He said the state statute alone cannot prevent a judge from forcing Idaho to accept gay marriage.

"Statutes are much easier to adjust or to change," he said "This measure, if added to our constitution, will preserve all rights currently available to the citizens of Idaho; it takes nothing away."

After the results of the roll call were read, someone in the crowded gallery above the Senate floor loudly screamed, "No!" Other than that cry, reaction was muted.

Kelly Groce, 38, president of the Southern Idaho Gay Lesbian Bisexual and Transgender Community Center in Twin Falls, said his group will immediately start organizing a campaign to persuade voters not to approve the amendment in November.

"We pay our taxes just like everyone else, and we don't deserve to be discriminated against by our own state constitution," Groce said.

Bryan Fischer is head of the Idaho Values Alliance, a group that formed this year with a mission of persuading lawmakers to vote for the constitutional amendment. Fischer's group expects the measure to pass with a 70 percent majority.

"The pro-family groups, we're going to sit down together at some point and talk together about the best way to give the electorate the information they need," Fischer said.

That's too bad, bigots in control again............

"Pro-family". What ridiculous nonsense.

Duke

Navy Pride said:
I was probably a little upset to Champs or that radical gay guy that was posting here.........I apologize for that comment.........

That said there are gay as well as straight pedophiles

Hey man, that was really cool of you to apologize...I wasnt looking for that at all. Thanks for your sincerity though! Dont let Champs and the militants get under your skin, man. Its not worth it. Moderation and respect are what its all about and you have pretty much always been respectful to me, despite our differences of opinion.

jallman said:
Hey man, that was really cool of you to apologize...I wasnt looking for that at all. Thanks for your sincerity though! Dont let Champs and the militants get under your skin, man. Its not worth it. Moderation and respect are what its all about and you have pretty much always been respectful to me, despite our differences of opinion.

I just think the gay marriage issue is a much bigger problem then "Feel Good" Liberals and a few gay militants think it is.............

Navy Pride said:
I just think the gay marriage issue is a much bigger problem then "Feel Good" Liberals and a few gay militants think it is.............

And I think that if both sides would just accept civil unions of equal benefits then the legal side of this is solved. Let the churches decide the spiritual/sacred side of the issue.

jallman said:
And I think that if both sides would just accept civil unions of equal benefits then the legal side of this is solved. Let the churches decide the spiritual/sacred side of the issue.

I totally agree.......

Navy Pride said:
Galen you may not want to admit it but more and more states are adopting consittutional amendments banning gay marriage.....Some in the south are so upset over the in your face attitude by a few radical gays that they are also banning civil unions..........
Dude, I'm not denying it at all, and I'm not even particularly upset. I personally think it's ridiculous that all these states are banning gay marriage, but I don't live in those states, so it's not really my business.

Navy Pride said:
Galen, you make some good points and I don't know the answer......I do know that no gay marriages that have taken place in Mass havenot been accepted in other states and I suspect the who issue will end up in the SCOTUS.........I think the states that have amendments are pretty safe but I am not sure about the rest.......
I don't think that the states should be forced to recognize the marriages, but I think it's a dick move to go out of their way not to recognize them.
I view it along the lines of the "I may disagree with every word you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." I completely disagree with constitutional ammendments banning gay marriage, but if the people of Idaho want to ban it, then why should I, a guy who lives in Iowa, have a say over it? It's not a big deal and it's not my business, and I am opposed to the SCOTUS forcing it on the states, because that would set a dangerous precedent on federal vs. state rights.
I think that it is outright discriminitory to ban civil unions, and I think that courts would be justified in overturning those, but marriage, I think it's right to leave it to the states.

Navy Pride said:

You are absoultly right. It pisses off fundamentalist Christians.

Duke

Duke said:
You are absoultly right. It pisses off fundamentalist Christians.

Duke

Hmmm, judging from the opposition in the states that have approved amendments I think it is a hell of a lot more then Christian Fundamentalists........

Navy Pride said:
That is not exactly true..........No gay marriages that have taken place in Mass. have been accepted in any other state as valid.............There may be some lawsuits pending on the matter though......

That is why it is imperative for every state to have their own amendment.......

You're not paying attention to me. The US constitution trumps the state constitution. And the US constitution says these marriages have to be recognized. What these states are doing is unconstitutional.

galenrox said:
I don't think that the states should be forced to recognize the marriages, but I think it's a dick move to go out of their way not to recognize them.
I view it along the lines of the "I may disagree with every word you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." I completely disagree with constitutional ammendments banning gay marriage, but if the people of Idaho want to ban it, then why should I, a guy who lives in Iowa, have a say over it? It's not a big deal and it's not my business, and I am opposed to the SCOTUS forcing it on the states, because that would set a dangerous precedent on federal vs. state rights.
I think that it is outright discriminitory to ban civil unions, and I think that courts would be justified in overturning those, but marriage, I think it's right to leave it to the states.

Actually, they should be forced to recognize it. The Full Faith and Credit Clause from the US constitution says that they have to. The Supremacy Clause says that even if a state's constitution says otherwise, they have to. There's really no wiggle room here. Black and white. Cut and dry. Thick and thin...wait...

Kelzie said:
Actually, they should be forced to recognize it. The Full Faith and Credit Clause from the US constitution says that they have to. The Supremacy Clause says that even if a state's constitution says otherwise, they have to. There's really no wiggle room here. Black and white. Cut and dry. Thick and thin...wait...

Yeah, right...........you don't have your law license yet.........So far no one that has got married and moved back to their original state has had their marriage recognized.................

We shall see if and when it goes to the SCOTUS...............

Navy Pride said:
Yeah, right...........you don't have your law license yet.........So far no one that has got married and moved back to their original state has had their marriage recognized.................

We shall see if and when it goes to the SCOTUS...............

Once again you have nothing to rebut with. You can just say I'm right.

Kelzie said:
Once again you have nothing to rebut with. You can just say I'm right.

I have to admit you may not be a lawyer yet but you have their lingo down....Did you even read what I posted?

Navy Pride said:
I have to admit you may not be a lawyer yet but you have their lingo down....Did you even read what I posted?

Sure. You said I don't have my law license. Irrelevant if I am correct.

You said none of these marriages have been recognized. Irrelevant if it is unconstitutional.

And you said we'll have to see what SCOTUS says. Irrelevant since it's in the future and a future ruling has no impact on the unconstitutional nature of these amendments now.

gay marriage poll shows...

from Polling Point:

Gay Marriage
Finally, while elected officials continue to debate the issue of gay marriage, most of you believe gay couples should be allowed to form civil unions (39%) or marry outright (35%). One in four, though, believe there should be no legal recognition of gay relationships. Nearly half (45%) of Republicans prefer no legal recognition of gay relationships, while 38 percent support civil unions and just 17 percent support gay marriage. Democrats are far more supportive of civil unions (41%) or gay marriage (47%), as are Independents (39% for civil unions and 40% for gay marriage).

Most respondents (70%) believe "the decision on civil unions or gay marriage should be left up to each individual state" rather than the federal government. Just 23 percent believe that decision belongs in the hands of the federal government. While strong majorities of respondents regardless of party affiliation would give this power to the states, one-third of Republicans believe this should be a federal issue, compared to 18 percent of Democrats and 19 percent of Independents. This is particularly true of Republican men (39%) rather than Republican women (28%).

Kelzie said:
Sure. You said I don't have my law license. Irrelevant if I am correct.

You said none of these marriages have been recognized. Irrelevant if it is unconstitutional.

And you said we'll have to see what SCOTUS says. Irrelevant since it's in the future and a future ruling has no impact on the unconstitutional nature of these amendments now.

Well at the moment the only place where gay marriage is legal and recognized is in the Peoples Republic of Mass..........I would venture to say it will stay that way.............

The people have spoken .They will not let activist Liberal judges make law instead of interpreting it like they did in the Peoples Republic of Mass.......

Navy Pride said:
If the only way you can protect the sanctity of marriage is with a state constitutional amendment then you have to do it......Most Americans are against gay marriage and they don't want activist judges making laws instead of interpreting them.....

What's the sanctity of marriage np? How is the sanctity of marriage by preventing to individuals who love each other to wed? What the homophillia?

jfuh said:
What's the sanctity of marriage np? How is the sanctity of marriage by preventing to individuals who love each other to wed? What the homophillia?

The sanctity of marriage is defining it as a union between a man and a woman.....

I think the word you libs like to use is homophobia or bigotry when someone has a difference of opinion with you on gay marriage........And we are called the intolerant ones.....:roll:

Back
Top Bottom