• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Idaho to vote for a Constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage.

The ideal marriage is happy, long-lasting, prosperous, with children, a nice home, and friendships with other married couples.

The typical marriage has its ups and downs, its joys and difficulties. The nightmare marriage ends in divorce, maybe due to incompatibility, abuse, or betrayal. The concept has nothing to do with being gay or straight.

With the continued fight against the freedom to marry, America is losing our grand tradition of freedom, fairness, human dignity, and full equality under the law.

jallman said:
Disapproving the driver's license because a person is blind or cannot read road signs is acceptable. Disapproving the driver's license because a person is a hairlip is not.

Disapproving the marriage license because a brother and sister are likely to have 5 assed and 7 eared babies is acceptable. Disapproving the marriage license because two unrelated, legal aged women marrying out of love is unacceptable to your religious sensibilities is moral disapproval and unacceptable. Civil union could solve this issue.

Disapproving the drivers license because a person can't pass the test or is wearing and arab head garb that covers their face.......many other reasons....

Brothers and sisters could marry just for the benefits.....Why does it have to be a sexual thing?

We agree on civil unions...I know whey the liberals don't want that because they are all feely good bleeding hearts, but why don't the militant gays accept civil unions and fight the marriage thing another day.....If they did that you guys would probably already have civil unions........

Navy Pride said:
Disapproving the drivers license because a person can't pass the test or is wearing and arab head garb that covers their face.......many other reasons....

Maybe the neocons can use their hatred of gays to find some common ground with Iran. They are equally homophobic in their gay-bashing.

http://www.streetprophets.com/storyonly/2006/2/16/152256/260

NP - no one is asking for the rights for sisters and brothers to marry. Except some folk in West Virginia ;)

Navy Pride said:

Brothers and sisters could marry just for the benefits.....Why does it have to be a sexual thing?

We agree on civil unions...I know whey the liberals don't want that because they are all feely good bleeding hearts, but why don't the militant gays accept civil unions and fight the marriage thing another day.....If they did that you guys would probably already have civil unions........

Oh you are preaching to the choir on that one. I am all about civil union. Thats really all I care about. However, some of my peers believe "separate but equal never worked before." Honestly, chief, they see me as a sell-out. But like I said before, to see to it that Joshua gets everything when I die with no stress, I'd sell every one of them out at bargain prices. :mrgreen:

Navy Pride said:
If it is unconstitutional as you say then why has it not already been resolved?:confused:

Because it hasn't gone to SCOTUS yet. It take it since you have no argument against it, you must think it's unconstitutional as well.

jallman said:
Oh you are preaching to the choir on that one. I am all about civil union. Thats really all I care about. However, some of my peers believe "separate but equal never worked before." Honestly, chief, they see me as a sell-out. But like I said before, to see to it that Joshua gets everything when I die with no stress, I'd sell every one of them out at bargain prices. :mrgreen:

That's not fair. You shouldn't have to settle like that. And jesus christ, stop acting like you're going to keel over tomorrow. You're what, 28?

Kelzie said:
That's not fair. You shouldn't have to settle like that. And jesus christ, stop acting like you're going to keel over tomorrow. You're what, 28?

Its not a settlement to me. I am Catholic and believe the Church should have dominion over the sacrament. By the same token, I believe state endorsed union should be totally secular and should have no involvement in the Church. Naturally I would choose the latter in order to hold true to my religious affiliations. Its not settling, its bargaining.

And I dont talk like I am going to die tomorrow...you just never know though. I would rather have the matter settled now than have to have him try and fight the matter later.

hipsterdufus said:
Maybe the neocons can use their hatred of gays to find some common ground with Iran. They are equally homophobic in their gay-bashing.

http://www.streetprophets.com/storyonly/2006/2/16/152256/260

NP - no one is asking for the rights for sisters and brothers to marry. Except some folk in West Virginia ;)

It always goes back to the same thing with you bleeding heart feel good liberals.........If someone disagrees with you or has a different opinion on gay marraige then you do then they are homophobes or bigots......And you say we are the intolerant ones...:roll:

jallman is gay and he knows where I stand on the issue.........why don't you ask him?

Navy Pride said:
It always goes back to the same thing with you bleeding heart feel good liberals.........If someone disagrees with you or has a different opinion on gay marraige then you do then they are homophobes or bigots......And you say we are the intolerant ones...:roll:

He's right. If we expect society to tolerate gays, or any group for that matter, then society should have to tolerate homophobes and bigots.

You know, it has always amazed me that folks that express extreme liberal views are offended when a rightwinger calls them a "liberal" as if it was something they should be ashamed of. Hey, they have made their positions plain and they should be proud to be called liberal if that's how they really feel.

The same with homophobes and bigots. Here you got your posters who make their homophobia and bigotry more than obvious and they get offended when called what they appearantly are proud to be.:confused:

If you don't want people to kick you in the butt, you need to remove the "kick me" sign stuck to your back.

if you don't want to be called a bleeding heart liberal, don't act like one. If you don't wanna be labeled a rightwing nazi, don't act like one. If you don't wanna be called a homophobe bigot......well, you all get the message.

Captain America said:
He's right. If we expect society to tolerate gays, or any group for that matter, then society should have to tolerate homophobes and bigots.

You know, it has always amazed me that folks that express extreme liberal views are offended when a rightwinger calls them a "liberal" as if it was something they should be ashamed of. Hey, they have made their positions plain and they should be proud to be called liberal if that's how they really feel.

The same with homophobes and bigots. Here you got your posters who make their homophobia and bigotry more than obvious and they get offended when called what they appearantly are proud to be.:confused:

If you don't want people to kick you in the butt, you need to remove the "kick me" sign stuck to your back.

if you don't want to be called a bleeding heart liberal, don't act like one. If you don't wanna be labeled a rightwing nazi, don't act like one. If you don't wanna be called a homophobe bigot......well, you all get the message.

It does not matter to me what a liberal like you thinks I am, It matters what someone like jallman sho is gay thinks about me...It matters what my gay friends think about me and they don't think I am a homophobe so that is good enough for me..........

I could care less what a feely good bleeding heart lib like you thinks of me..........

I could care less what a feely good bleeding heart lib like you thinks of me..........

Well, that's my fault. I don't go much out of my way trying to convince closed minded, uneducated bigots, such as yourself, to care what I think.

No harm, no foul. But you do need to go change your Depends. You're stinkin' up the room again.

<Hey, you wanted to get personal so let's do it. But NO kissing!> :mrgreen:

jallman said:
Its not a settlement to me. I am Catholic and believe the Church should have dominion over the sacrament. By the same token, I believe state endorsed union should be totally secular and should have no involvement in the Church. Naturally I would choose the latter in order to hold true to my religious affiliations. Its not settling, its bargaining.

And I dont talk like I am going to die tomorrow...you just never know though. I would rather have the matter settled now than have to have him try and fight the matter later.

I certainly don't think anyone should force the Catholic church to marry gays. But there are plenty of churches that would. So would you allow them to?

Kelzie said:
I certainly don't think anyone should force the Catholic church to marry gays. But there are plenty of churches that would. So would you allow them to?

I don't know if there are plenty of religions that will marry gays but there are smal sects of some that do and there is a lot of controversey with the rest of the religion..........The Episcopal and Lutheran church come to mind..........

Navy Pride said:
I don't know if there are plenty of religions that will marry gays but there are smal sects of some that do and there is a lot of controversey with the rest of the religion..........The Episcopal and Lutheran church come to mind..........

I think there's 8. That's plenty to me. So would you let them marry gay people if it was in their religion?

Kelzie said:
I think there's 8. That's plenty to me. So would you let them marry gay people if it was in their religion?
Are you saying 8 churches or 8 religions?

I don't care if a church wants to marry them but they are going against what the bible teaches if they do and they will answer to their maker on judgment day......

I myself am a Roman Catholic and I know my church will never permit gay marriage..........

Navy Pride said:

I don't care if a church wants to marry them but they are going against what the bible teaches if they do and they will answer to their maker on judgment day......

I myself am a Roman Catholic and I know my church will never permit gay marriage..........

Man I don't know anything about your church talk. I've heard it called the Catholic church. That means all of catholicism right? So 8 churches/religions.

Navy Pride said:

Please show me the passage where the authors of the Bible take a stance on gay marriage.

Navy Pride said:

Your church lags behind society by at least 100 years.

Kelzie said:
Man I don't know anything about your church talk. I've heard it called the Catholic church. That means all of catholicism right? So 8 churches/religions.

I did not know there was that many religions that would marry gay people........Just curious, what are they?

Kandahar said:
Please show me the passage where the authors of the Bible take a stance on gay marriage.

Your church lags behind society by at least 100 years.

I am not and expert on the passages in the bible but the one that comes to my mind is something to the effect and I am paraphrasing It is abomination for a man to lay with a man........

That is your opinion and you know what they are like........Most Roman Catholics me included would say you are wrong

Navy Pride said:
I did not know there was that many religions that would marry gay people........Just curious, what are they?

United Church of Canada, Anglican Church of Canada, Reform Judaism, United Church of Christ, Unitarian Universalist, Reconstructionist Judaism, Metropolitan Community Church, Jodo Shinshu.

Kelzie said:
United Church of Canada, Anglican Church of Canada, Reform Judaism, United Church of Christ, Unitarian Universalist, Reconstructionist Judaism, Metropolitan Community Church, Jodo Shinshu.

Haven't heard of to many of them.........

Well I am going to hit my rack...........Good Night kelzie.......Sweet dreams......

Navy Pride said:
Haven't heard of to many of them.........

Well I am going to hit my rack...........Good Night kelzie.......Sweet dreams......

Neither have I. But then I don't pay much attention to religious movements.

Ta ta :2wave:

Navy Pride said:
I am not and expert on the passages in the bible but the one that comes to my mind is something to the effect and I am paraphrasing It is abomination for a man to lay with a man........

It's also an abomination to eat shellfish. Everyone ignores this. Furthermore, what does this passage have to do with gay marriage?

Navy Pride said:
That is your opinion and you know what they are like........Most Roman Catholics me included would say you are wrong

That's funny, most Catholics I know agree that their church is centuries behind the times.

The Roman Catholic Church didn't officially recognize that Galileo was right until the early 1990s. The current pope is the first to accept evolution as fact. And let's not forget the gender discrimination and celibacy requirement in the priesthood. Aside from the Islamist nutjobs, there's no institution in the world more archaic and behind-the-times than the Roman Catholic Church.

Navy Pride said:
Hmmm, judging from the opposition in the states that have approved amendments I think it is a hell of a lot more then Christian Fundamentalists........

Call them whatever you like.

Duke

Navy Pride said:
What does religion or church have anything to do with gay marriage? Marriage is recognized by law, that's all homosexuals want, to be recognized under the law as having the same rights as everyone else.
Seperation of church and state dictates this argument should have nothing to do with the church.
What's wrong NP? I notice you can't respond to my previous argument, evasionism? Or can't argue the definitions?

Back
Top Bottom