• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I swear, more conservatives/"libertarians"

I admit that there was a time when I got suckered into 2 conspiracy theory angles. One was the assassination of JFK (I once suspected it was a mafia hit for Bobby's crackdown while he was the AG), and the other was 9/11 (i.e., I thought Bush let it happen so we could go to war in Iraq). I've since changed my mind on both. It's hard to describe - in both cases it's not like on went fully down the rabbit hole, but it's more like I just didn't completely buy the government's explanations for what happened, and I subscribed to this view that the government is all-knowing, all-powerful and that it has information we don't.

As I've gotten older and had more experiences, I've become more nuanced in my thinking and have gradually realized that many things which seem like conspiracies can be readily explained by poor planning and preparation, and the systems that govern us, while sophisticated, are run by people, who are just as susceptible to ****ing up on the job as any of us. Most of the time, what we see with our own eyes is in fact, what just happened.

I believe there are 2 categories of people that are drawn towards CTs.
1. The political ones: those that want to use it as a tool to spread lies.
2. Those that have a need to have an answer for everything.
I think it's more about needing to feel special. Like you're part of a small, select group who gets it and sees the real truth unlike all those other sheeple. It's why so many form around nothing other than "most people believe X, so the opposite of X must be true."

Back
Top Bottom