• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I spent over 100 bucks on a math book - for them to provide the WRONG ANSWERS . . .

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Seriously - they hock their books for that much money and they can't even get their **** straight?

Example (a very simple math problem):

x - 5/6 = 7/8 (fractions, here)
Solve for X

it's simple, right - no sweat, yeah? I've done it countless times - it's rather boring.
Add 5/6 to the left to get rid of it, thus - you add 5/6 to the right to carry it over there - which isolates X.

X = 7/8 + 5/6

So in order to add a fraction you find the least common denominator and follow through with the math.

7/8 becomes 21/24
5/6 becomes 20/24

21 + 21 = 41

Answer is 41/24 - you can factor that out further if you want but it's not required.

The book's answer: 15

MMMHMMM.

$100.00 for a book to tell me the answer is 15.

You can check it by plugging in their given answer if you like. 15 instead of X.
15 - 5/6 = 7/8 . . . if you factor that out you SEE it's wrong because 15 - 5/6 is *not* 7/8 . . . maybe on the planet moron it is, but not on Earth with our earthly ways

Stupid ****ing textbook THIEVES.

This isn't the only answer that's wrong, either - I've found 4 that are incorrect so far - and I'm only on chapter 2.

Though I might be insane - I'm sick as a dog with a cold. Maybe I'm wrong - but if so, I'm going nuts.

Re: I spent over 100 bucks on a math book - for them to provide the WRONG ANSWERS . .

What did you have to get this book for?

Re: I spent over 100 bucks on a math book - for them to provide the WRONG ANSWERS . .

Those answers aren't put there for the student, they are there for the teacher. If you consistently put the book's answers as your own you'll be found out rather quickly.

It is done in middle and HS texts, as well, so I'm surprised you haven't come across this phenomenon before now.

Regards from Rosie

Those answers aren't put there for the student, they are there for the teacher. If you consistently put the book's answers as your own you'll be found out rather quickly.

It is done in middle and HS texts, as well, so I'm surprised you haven't come across this phenomenon before now.

Regards from Rosie

I'm in college, though. So many years between highschool and my college I can't remember the basics so I'm having to grace quickly through a basic course this semester. . . .my teacher, actually, doesn't use the book - eventhough we attend in person she insists on using an online program for homework and quizes as well as countless worksheets that she prints out . . . which annoys the crap out of me.

Because online is *so* limited and frustrating for me for homework and quizes (that's what happens when you're old - I don't use a calculator, either, I'm so old I use a slide ruler. LOL!) I bought the book (which is optional) - and am quite miffed to find that some of their solutions are wrong when I'm just trying to check my work.

I'll rework a problem for hours if I keep getting it wrong - I'm not taking this class to just get a measly B.

I'm thinking of filing a complaint with the publisher for failing to ensure the accuracy of their solutions. . . I mean - what else is wrong that I'm not catching? Things will only get *more* complicated as we go through graphing and theorums.
I'm going to request a full refund. . . which I'll put to an alternative but correct book.

Back
Top Bottom