• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hurricane GOP On The Way

Well, first of all, you got that backwards. They think that Democrats are barely better than Republicans, not the other way around.

yes i did, thanks for correcting that point; it was unintentional.

Second of all, isn't that the point of the thread? Whether the GOP can take Congress? The best poll then would be one where people were asked about Congress, no?

no. I mean, I have problems with the Republicans in Congress. Many, Many, Many, starting with their behavior for the past 10 years and moving into specifics. furthermore, Democrats have an incredibly wide disparity in Congress right now; and at the same time we are seeing a wave of fresh faces and an entirely new ideological movement sweeping through the Republican party, defined not a little by it's opposition to the 'old school' Republicans who are part of that "republicans in congress" polled. the important question is not what you think of congressional republicans v congressional democrats; but rather what you think of your new Republican candidate v congressional democrats. as i point out elsewhere on this forum, 2010 is going to be a referendum on the last 18 months, in which the Republicans haven't been part of the problem for the simple reason that they have not had the ability

And the latest polls from the Las Vegas Review-Journal show Reid ahead: U.S. SENATE RACE: Reid takes lead on Angle - News - ReviewJournal.com

U.S. Sen. Harry Reid has opened a strong lead over Republican opponent Sharron Angle after pummeling her in a ubiquitous TV and radio ad campaign that portrays the Tea Party favorite as "too extreme," according to a new poll for the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

The Democratic incumbent's aggressive strategy of attacking Angle's staunch conservative views from the moment she won the June 8 primary has cost her support among every voter group -- from men and women to both political parties and independents -- in vote-rich Clark and Washoe counties.

two counties?

The truth is things were fine in this country until the 2006 elections and the democrats taking over congress....Its been all downhill since then...

I saw on the news today that Obama carried independents by a 56% ration in 2008..........His ration today according to gallup is 36%. He can not win in 2012 if he does not carry independents./......

Haha, yea right, as if the GOP didn't block them every step of the way until 2009. When did the recession hit again? Who was in power for 8 years prior? My memory gets foggy from time to time :)

no. I mean, I have problems with the Republicans in Congress. Many, Many, Many, starting with their behavior for the past 10 years and moving into specifics. furthermore, Democrats have an incredibly wide disparity in Congress right now; and at the same time we are seeing a wave of fresh faces and an entirely new ideological movement sweeping through the Republican party, defined not a little by it's opposition to the 'old school' Republicans who are part of that "republicans in congress" polled. the important question is not what you think of congressional republicans v congressional democrats; but rather what you think of your new Republican candidate v congressional democrats. as i point out elsewhere on this forum, 2010 is going to be a referendum on the last 18 months, in which the Republicans haven't been part of the problem for the simple reason that they have not had the ability

Interesting view. I see Republicans as part of the problem because they voted no on everything! Much more could have been accomplished had they not been the party of no. But then, that's my political leaning showing...

two counties?

Hm. If you read the article it seems to be about the entire state, but then that one sentence seems to imply two counties. I went to the Mason Dixon web site and it didn't say anything about it being from only two counties though. That may have just been the reporter from the Las Vegas Whatever making a comment about those two counties.

Interesting view. I see Republicans as part of the problem because they voted no on everything! Much more could have been accomplished had they not been the party of no. But then, that's my political leaning showing...

see, the American public generally has the opposite opinion. the stuff that Republicans opposed (the Bailouts, Obamacare, suing Arizona, taking over the car companies, etc.) is opposed by pretty solid majorities of the American people as well. Republicans say 'no', and the voters agree.

Hm. If you read the article it seems to be about the entire state, but then that one sentence seems to imply two counties.

yeah. mind you, i don't mind seeing counties as potentially indicative of general movement, but i'd rather see state-wide results. i went out and read some other responses from my side of the blogosphere; it seems like everyone is treating this as a state-wide phenomenon. :D I may be losing that bet we have, yet.

i do note that this portion:

More than one-quarter of the nonpartisan swing voters who probably will decide the Nov. 2 election haven't jumped to the still-unpopular Reid but instead are undecided or in the "other" or "none of these candidates" columns, the poll showed.

isn't good news for Reid when read in the context of the fact that this poll - 44% - is his high water mark, only reached after '5 perfect weeks', plus his high negatives, plus the fact that Nevada is suffering more economically than the general average of the nation.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's right, republicans did not vote for(or sign into law) TARP or EESA....

Got any more dishonesty to pass along?

Yeah, that's right, republicans did not vote for(or sign into law) TARP or EESA....

oh yeah, they definitely did; which goes a long way towards explaining why they have high negatives, as well. Americans are waking up, looking at both our parties, and realizing that both of them are overspending incompetents who have forgotten who sent them there.

which is why the Tea Party does better than either party when it comes to public favorability.

oh yeah, they definitely did; which goes a long way towards explaining why they have high negatives, as well. Americans are waking up, looking at both our parties, and realizing that both of them are overspending incompetents who have forgotten who sent them there.

which is why the Tea Party does better than either party when it comes to public favorability.

It's easy to be popular when you don't really stand for anything.

on the contrary, republicans have put forth a wide variety of options; and have even finally broken the line to talk about the necessity of reducing entitlements.

on the contrary, republicans have put forth a wide variety of options; and have even finally broken the line to talk about the necessity of reducing entitlements.

I was referring to the Tea Party actually in that case. The problem the Republican Party has is the "party of no" image, which is their own fault. They lost 2 elections, if they wanted input on passage of things, they had to give on things democrats waned. They chose not to, and it does lead to part of the republican negative rating. Democrat's negative rating, perversely, is for doing things. So really, when times are bad, you can't win by doing or not doing.

I was referring to the Tea Party actually in that case. The problem the Republican Party has is the "party of no" image, which is their own fault

the general American populace's opinion of much of the major legislation rammed through in the last 18 months is 'NO'. the notion that being the party of 'no obamacare', 'no bailouts', 'no stimulus', 'no suing Arizona', or 'no increased deficits' is bad for Republicans image is one that i've only ever seen come from those who agree with those major pieces of legislation. you might as well accuse Republicans of being the party of 'no amnesty'.

They lost 2 elections, if they wanted input on passage of things, they had to give on things democrats waned. They chose not to, and it does lead to part of the republican negative rating. Democrat's negative rating, perversely, is for doing things

on the contrary; Republicans are generally blamed for TARP, for several years of deficits (which, hilariously, Obama campaigned against, declaring them to be an irresponsible burden on our children..... when it was 168 billion), for the takeover of the auto companies, and for the crash in 2008.

And she's a nut job cause some people told you she was.

She's a nut job because of what SHE has said. I live in Nevada, I've heard her and her ideas. She is a nutjob.

She's a nut job because of what SHE has said. I live in Nevada, I've heard her and her ideas. She is a nutjob.

For me, it wasn't even what she said, it's how she claimed that Harry Reid was putting those words in her mouth when they were word for word off her own website.

:shrug: what'd she say. ?

Eliminate the EPA/FDA/Department of Education/Department of Energy, privatize Social Security, eliminate Medicare, reinstitute alcohol prohibition (then later claims she changed her mind), withdraw from the UN, deregulate the oil industry to "get them to come back to our country."

It goes on.

Eliminate the EPA/FDA/Department of Education/Department of Energy, privatize Social Security, eliminate Medicare, reinstitute alcohol prohibition (then later claims she changed her mind), withdraw from the UN, deregulate the oil industry to "get them to come back to our country."

It goes on.

b-b-but, thats all Democratic propaganda pushed by Harry Reid and the liberal machine!

It goes on.

okay..... but what did she say that was nutty?

okay..... but what did she say that was nutty?
Certainly someone working for her campaign thinks its nutty, she has backpedaled from most of those stances upon winning the primary. So much for her "principles".

more likely someone in her campaign, having won a primary based on conservative ideas, realizes (no duh) that you need to shift gears to making the campaign about Harry Reid.

more likely someone in her campaign, having won a primary based on conservative ideas, realizes (no duh) that you need to shift gears to making the campaign about Harry Reid.

Well yes of course, thats how it is in every election, but she has definitely abandoned some of her primary positions. It's actually a smart move on her part, most people don't like politicians who campaign on changing Social Security (even though it sorely needs an overhaul).

Apparently her latest commercial criticizes Reid for not bringing home enough money from the stimulus. You know, that stimulus she opposed. That one.

cpwill said:
as will Jimmy Carville's PPP and (originally) the now-discredited Daily Kos' Research 2000.
LOL...did redstate tell you that about Carville? (Actually they claim it's Democracy Corps, though Carville doesn't own a polling service)

Anyway, what does that have to do Scott Rasmussen being a guest speaker on the conservative National Review fundraiser cruise? Anyone can go on this cruise. It's a fundraiser, all they're looking for is cash. If you're interested you can book it by clicking here.

None of the pollsters you mention are compensated to be a guest speaker on the cruise.

Scott Rasmussen, along with Rove, Breitbart, Goldberg Schlafly, Lopez, etc., etc. is.

It should be interesting to compare how TP candidates did on average, after the election

Back
Top Bottom