• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hur resigns from DOJ to testify as private citizen

None of those quotes are in the NYTimes article you linked. What's the story, mycroft?

Further, the linked article barely mentions the fact that Hur quit his job at the DOJ just one day before giving this testimony:

"Mr. Hur is testifying as a private citizen, not a Justice Department employee: As of Monday, he had resigned as special counsel and will be represented by a private lawyer..."​

Well, that's pretty ****ing weird, wouldn't you say? What is the story here?
The quote I presented came directly from the article I linked.

As far as what the article did not address, shrug...I didn't write the article. You'll have to talk to the writer about it.

In any case, in order to be as truthful as possible, I agree with him resigning from government service so there is no accusations that he is being influenced by the Biden administration when he gives his testimony. So no...I don't think that's weird. I think it's smart.

"Declined to charge Biden" doesn't mean he didn't find violations. Nice try.
Wtf are you even talking about? You are either moving the goalposts or think you are talking to someone else.

Wtf are you even talking about? You are either moving the goalposts or think you are talking to someone else.
Hur, after finding Biden did, in fact, mishandle classified material - including providing it to a ghost writer. There was no question Biden violated the law. Hur declined to recommend charges because of Biden's mental state.

Hur, after finding Biden did, in fact, mishandle classified material - including providing it to a ghost writer. There was no question Biden violated the law. Hur declined to recommend charges because of Biden's mental state.

Were charges declined for Pence due to his mental state, as well?

Or perhaps, people like Biden, Pence, and Trump just aren't charged for these sorts of transgressions.

Were charges declined for Pence due to his mental state, as well?

Or perhaps, people like Biden, Pence, and Trump just aren't charged for these sorts of transgressions.
Seems like Trump's been charged for everything from jaywalking on up. Biden's getting a "feeble ol' fart" exemption.

Just give the gavel to Hakeem Jeffries and let the adults get to work.

Question for you...
Are going to quote it?

Biden concealed his possession of classified documents for 50 years.
Did he ignore a subpoena for them? Did he return them voluntarily as did Pence?

Whew, is there anyone who watched today who isn't wondering WTH with "willful retention"? Trump has been indicted with 31 counts over that. This is, quite frankly, unbelievable and a stunning example of two tiers of justice. Simply unbelievable!
You have to have evidence of "willful retention". They have it with Trump, they don't with Biden nor Pence. Trump had people intentionally move around boxes containing classified material at the same time that he was telling investigators he had returned all of them.

None of those quotes are in the NYTimes article you linked. What's the story, mycroft?

Further, the linked article barely mentions the fact that Hur quit his job at the DOJ just one day before giving this testimony:

"Mr. Hur is testifying as a private citizen, not a Justice Department employee: As of Monday, he had resigned as special counsel and will be represented by a private lawyer..."​

Well, that's pretty ****ing weird, wouldn't you say? What is the story here?
So I think Hur was actually already doing private work starting in 2021, as he resigned his government position at that time. I'm not sure how the appointment happened (likely he was asked if he'd do it by Garland, who tries to be as neutral as he can), but he came back in, was appointed special prosecutor for the Biden case specifically. I'm not sure there was ever any intention to stay on longer than the case itself.

That said, I do think he is partisan, just not sure if his resigning what essentially looked to be him just agreeing to do this case is actually any sort of evidence of anything in itself.

It means he didn't see enough evidence that all the required aspects to charge for the crime were met. A prosecutor would not look good to charge a person with a crime that they felt they couldn't win because their case would be demolished by doubt.

Seems like Trump's been charged for everything from jaywalking on up. Biden's getting a "feeble ol' fart" exemption.

Seems like you're either ignorant of the actual charges against Trump in the docs case, or you're being intentionally obtuse.

Which is it?

That isn't what the report said, at least not when it comes to that being the sole reason he didn't recommend charges. That shot at Biden's mental state was a footnote to what he actually said, when he even compared why Trump's charges were made, and how they were different than what Biden and many other Presidents and VPs had done when it came to taking home, possessing classified material. Hur basically stated in his report that all or most Presidents and VPs have done what Biden did.

Which is thus negligence in handling.
And thus a crime...
That is rarely charged. I know from experience, as we had a person in my class who lost a classified book (our books and notes weren't allowed to leave the school building) and wasn't charged with it.

That is rarely charged. I know from experience, as we had a person in my class who lost a classified book (our books and notes weren't allowed to leave the school building) and wasn't charged with it.

The above example seems to be an accident, a one and done situation.

Mr Biden has been a serial abuser of being negligent with handling such documents.
Heck, he had the documents to write a book...

It means he didn't see enough evidence that all the required aspects to charge for the crime were met. A prosecutor would not look good to charge a person with a crime that they felt they couldn't win because their case would be demolished by doubt.

Mr. Hurr said a reasonable juror could vote to convict on the evidence ..

The above example seems to be an accident, a one and done situation.

Mr Biden has been a serial abuser of being negligent with handling such documents.
Heck, he had the documents to write a book...
Because it was information such as memos he wrote or suggestions he made, that was later classified, but he felt he had a right to, just like many Presidents and VPs before him. I read the report from Hur. He states in the report that this was the case and even references how Reagan or one of the Bushes (maybe both) did/believed the same thing. There has been no clear rules on how such things should be dealt with, since it has happened in the past too and none of our past Presidents, VPs have been charged.

“During criminal litigation involving a former Reagan administration official in 1989 and 1990, the Department of Justice stated in public court filings that the ‘currently classified’ diaries were Mr. Reagan’s ‘personal records,’” the report says. “Yet we know of no steps the Department or other agencies took to investigate Mr. Reagan for mishandling classified information or to retrieve or secure his diaries. Most jurors would likely find evidence of this precedent and Mr. Biden’s claimed reliance on it, which we expect would be admitted at trial, to be compelling evidence that Mr. Biden did not act willfully.”

Mr. Hurr said a reasonable juror could vote to convict on the evidence ..
Is that what he testified to after his report said differently? That isn't what the report says unless he basically contradicted himself in the report as well, because he says in the report there isn't enough to get a conviction, especially since past Presidents and VPs have done the same thing.

Can we at least all agree we classify too much damn stuff and that it's pretty much used as a "gotcha" in most cases instead of, unless in especially egregious cases, anything that actually threatens national security?

Willful intent, it wasn’t there. It’s not like he directed people,to hide the documents and then lied.

Back
Top Bottom