• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How the nanny president sees himself -- and us

Whovian

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
How the nanny president sees himself -- and us - NYPOST.com

One staffer was conspicuously overweight. The president, in an incident that Wolffe believes proves how caring the man is, took it upon himself to present the aide with a salad for lunch — “then listened to him protest that he could take care of his own health. ‘I love you, man,’ Obama said. ‘I want you to look after yourself. Eat the salad.’ ”

I love you, man. Eat the salad. That is the Obama presidency in a plastic see-through clamshell. (Hold the ranch dressing!) The president loves us. He knows what’s best for us. We should bow to his superior wisdom.

The “eat the salad” command is echoed throughout the book, which finds Obama in emergency mode at all times and always convinced that his combination of charisma, intelligence and moral authority makes him uniquely qualified to solve any problem that has bedeviled humanity for any number of generations. As Obama sees the hapless White House underling — an oaf who has never heard of salad and has been waiting for a visionary to guide him to the land of arugula — he sees the world.

Obama’s self-regard is at its most resplendent when he delivers a remark attributed to Abraham Lincoln: “I am not bound to win, but I’m bound to be true. I’m not bound to succeed, but I’m bound to live up to what light I have.” That the words are actually those of Ronald Reagan is an amusing but trivial detail.

What’s telling is that Obama set up the remark by saying he takes great pleasure in the White House library, and that he stumbled upon the remark in the process of searching out the wisdom of his predecessors. This was not a true statement. In fact Obama later admitted to Wolffe that he had found the quotation while reading one of his own diaries, in which he had mistakenly attributed the Reaganism to Lincoln.

So: In times of worry and strife, Obama looks for comforting inspiration in the sacred, timeless words of . . . Obama!

I think the piece captures the presidents attitudes quite nicely... don't you?

A fat person was told to eat a salad, my god I have never heard that before. I think Obama should be tarred and feathered over that. Along with any doctor, health professional who told people that perhaps eating to much lard ridden items was bad for their health and that they should perhaps lose some fat.

Americans dont need to stand for that, they should be free to be 400 lbs and not have anyone use their free speech to suggest lard burgers might lead to health problems

Americans dont need to stand for that, they should be free to be 400 lbs and not have anyone use their free speech to suggest lard burgers might lead to health problems

That's exactly right! Today, the government can tell us how much we can weigh; tomorrow, they're telling us what we can say.

No where, in The Constitution, does it have a weight limit that citizens must meet. When you start invading individual liberties, where do you draw the line?

What I think is that this is absurd that any thinking person could even post something like this and expect to be take seriously.

Barack Obama reaches out to a person as a friend in an attempt to offer help and is excoriated for it.
I believe it was the great Oscar Wilde who observed "no good deed goes unpunished".

Last edited:
Taking this "eat the salad" statement as defining Obama's presidency is as ludicrous as liberals using "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job" as defining Bush's.

How do you make the leap of Obama getting an employee a salad for lunch to Obama wanting to force people by law to be under a specific weight?

I think you guys are missing the bigger picture here. Clearly, Obama is trying to force American to become vegetarian.

Our Founding Fathers died for our right to eat delicious, succulent beef, godammit.

What I think is that this is absurd that any thinking person could even post something like this and expect to be take seriously.

Barack Obama reaches out to a person as a friend in an attempt to offer help and is excoriated for it.
I believe it was the great Oscar Wilde who observed "no good deed goes unpunished".

Are you kidding me? The fact that this is public, means it was done in front of other people. What an arrogant asshole. The office of the presidency doesn't give someone license to embarrass someone over their weight. You want caring? A private conversation, one on one. The president was a jerk.

Oh the manufactured outrage/poutrage of it all! :roll:
Republicans want to tell us how to worship and control us in the BR.
Which would you rather have? No Brainer!

Last edited:
Point sails far over the heads of liberals... go figure...

• The president loves us. He knows what’s best for us. We should bow to his superior wisdom.
  • As Obama sees the hapless White House underling — an oaf who has never heard of salad and has been waiting for a visionary to guide him to the land of arugula — he sees the world.
  • So: In times of worry and strife, Obama looks for comforting inspiration in the sacred, timeless words of . . . Obama!

Point sails far over the heads of liberals... go figure...

No, that's more a exaggerated view and not what has really been expressed to any serious degree. I love you guys too, but I wouldn't expect anyone to make the leap that is being made here. And as person who onced weighted over 350 lbs, it doesn't take much to know that weighing less is likely best. And the rest is just silly.

So... the dude likes salads... and recommends them to his friend. How dare he! Seriously, the president is a citizen of the country, too. His free speech isn't abridged because of his job. He is entitled to opinions, and to express them. I like salads, too. Am I brainwashed? Or do I simply partake in healthy and delicious food?

Barack Obama reaches out to a person as a friend in an attempt to offer help and is excoriated for it. [/I]

A friend? Really?

If someone is truly worried about the health of an over weight friend, they should have a talk with them and let them know. If that friend says that they want to lose weight and improve their health, then offering them help is not only appropriate, but it's the right thing to do... But if that over weight friend doesn't see their weight as a problem, or doesn't express any desire to lose weight and isn't concerned about their health, the person needs to accept their friends feelings and wishes, respect their right to live their live as they choose to, and walk away.

Only an arrogant, self-centered, know-it-all, would turn around and humiliate their friend by telling them they do have a problem, telling them they do need to lose weight by forcing an unwanted diet on them and telling them what they will have for lunch. A person who treats a grown man like a child like that, is not a friend... They're an insensitive, self absorbed, uncaring jackass, that thinks they're better than everyone else and always the smartest person in the room.

The president's job is to protects us from foreign invaders... Not from ourselves. We need a leader in the White House... Not a nanny.

A friend? Really?

If someone is truly worried about the health of an over weight friend, they should have a talk with them and let them know. If that friend says that they want to lose weight and improve their health, then offering them help is not only appropriate, but it's the right thing to do... But if that over weight friend doesn't see their weight as a problem, or doesn't express any desire to lose weight and isn't concerned about their health, the person needs to accept their friends feelings and wishes, respect their right to live their live as they choose to, and walk away.

Only an arrogant, self-centered, know-it-all, would turn around and humiliate their friend by telling them they do have a problem, telling them they do need to lose weight by forcing an unwanted diet on them and telling them what they will have for lunch. A person who treats a grown man like a child like that, is not a friend... They're an insensitive, self absorbed, uncaring jackass, that thinks they're better than everyone else and always the smartest person in the room.

The president's job is to protects us from foreign invaders... Not from ourselves. We need a leader in the White House... Not a nanny.

And just how do you know the details of the setting in which this was done? You appear to be providing detail and facts that are not in evidence in the article. You are making assumptions and jumping to conclusions to make negative comments about the President.

Last edited:
Point is STILL sailing over the heads of the liberals...
•The president loves us. He knows what’s best for us. We should bow to his superior wisdom.
As Obama sees the hapless White House underling — an oaf who has never heard of salad and has been waiting for a visionary to guide him to the land of arugula — he sees the world.
•So: In times of worry and strife, Obama looks for comforting inspiration in the sacred, timeless words of . . . Obama!

The salad issue itself is unimportant (althought telling the poor slob in public was kind of rude and thoughtless).

Liberals choose to focus on Salad-gate, because they don't have an adequate response for the real issue the author (and I, through creating this thread) want to discuss... which is, Obama's attitude that he knows better than we do what is best for us, and that we should simply do waht he says and stop whining about it.

from Whovian

The salad issue itself is unimportant (althought telling the poor slob in public was kind of rude and thoughtless).

And how do you know this?

Point is STILL sailing over the heads of the liberals...

Liberals choose to focus on Salad-gate, because they don't have an adequate response for the real issue the author (and I, through creating this thread) want to discuss... which is, Obama's attitude that he knows better than we do what is best for us, and that we should simply do waht he says and stop whining about it.

Not sailing at all. Read more carefully the responses. I see no evidence Obama actually thinks he knows better than us.

Back
Top Bottom