• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How much do people trust the law enforcement agencies

3step

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
https://today.yougov.com/news/2015/04/22/poll-results-law-enforcement/

According to the poll results, confidence in law enforcement agencies remains rather high. The majority of the poll respondents said they have great or fair amount of trust in CIA, Secret Service, DEA, FBI and even in state and national police despite all the dirty stories connected with them. Do you believe the results are true?

leo.png

The results are surprising why?

The CIA gets the job done, albeit by questionable means and not without its failures, but I'm pretty surprised people have greater trust in the CIA than the Secret Service.

I mean, it's the CIA....

According to the poll results, confidence in law enforcement agencies remains rather high. The majority of the poll respondents said they have great or fair amount of trust in CIA, Secret Service, DEA, FBI and even in state and national police despite all the dirty stories connected with them. Do you believe the results are true?

leo.png

I think the ones that trust people that have power over them are crazy. What I want is tight and robust control of such power.

Local LE is fairly decent, mainly because we elected a good Sheriff. Still the most trust I put in them is that they will usually try to do their duty as they see it, within the limits of their ability. They are as capable of errors in judgment as anyone though.

The rest I trust little if at all.

I know I'm surprised.

leo.png

Looks about right.
All the stories about cops shooting people in the back and such are not representative of police work in general.

Which is not to say that law enforcement shouldn't be subject to close public scrutiny. None of us... well few of us anyway, want to live in a police state.

The CIA gets the job done, albeit by questionable means and not without its failures, but I'm pretty surprised people have greater trust in the CIA than the Secret Service.

I mean, it's the CIA....

The CIA directs pretty much all of its efforts at foreigners.

The Secret Service can be seen as a kind of "palace guard" for the president and other political leaders. Plus they have been known to bully some people in the name of security.

I wouldn't trust the DEA or the ATF with anything. That being said, most cops are good cops. It's the bad ones we need to worry about and we need to promote an attitude within our PD departments that bad cops are bad and must be punished.

The CIA directs pretty much all of its efforts at foreigners.

The Secret Service can be seen as a kind of "palace guard" for the president and other political leaders. Plus they have been known to bully some people in the name of security.

That the CIA directs its efforts at mostly foreigners is a naïve statement indeed.

Control of the media is a very large part of their effort, a successful effort. With Zero Dark Thirty and American Sniper the public perception is very much manipulated.

That the CIA directs its efforts at mostly foreigners is a naïve statement indeed.

Control of the media is a very large part of their effort, a successful effort. With Zero Dark Thirty and American Sniper the public perception is very much manipulated.

Hey! It's supposed to be a secret that the media is actually controlled by the CIA! Now that you've told the nation the true story, better watch your back.

That is certainly what they are famous for but most of what they do is related to financial crimes.

I trust all the agencies listed above to follow the marching orders handed down to them by the politicians. And I don't trust those politicians. So....

I believe it. The poll regards what most people think, not I as an individual. Most people are still naive to the negative side and how not uncommon it is.

I wouldn't trust the DEA or the ATF with anything. That being said, most cops are good cops. It's the bad ones we need to worry about and we need to promote an attitude within our PD departments that bad cops are bad and must be punished.

If found to be bad cops before any damage is done, fired, for sure, and banned from any further LEO employment.

Local LE is fairly decent, mainly because we elected a good Sheriff. Still the most trust I put in them is that they will usually try to do their duty as they see it, within the limits of their ability. They are as capable of errors in judgment as anyone though.

The rest I trust little if at all.

Sheriff's deputies and departments can be the very best or very worst. Often it largely depends upon who you are. Also, sheriff's deputies particularly in lower population countries tend to have low pay, so have a bad egg in the lot is not uncommon.

I trust my local cops because they aren't American cops....

Back
Top Bottom