• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How important is it to stop Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons?

How important is Preventing Iran from acquiring Nuclear Weapons?

• Most important crisis humankind has ever faced.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Extremely Important.

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • Good to stop them, but not super important.

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Who cares... It really doesn't matter.

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • It would be a good thing if they got nuclear weapons.

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters
Good point, but this is just a fantasy. You know that will never really actually happen right? ;)

I lament that as wrote that alas no one would have the courage to try it. Oh well. C'est La vie.

I lament that as wrote that alas no one would have the courage to try it. Oh well. C'est La vie.

Yes well, truthfully, you never know what some of these nutty dictators will do.

Yes well, truthfully, you never know what some of these nutty dictators will do.

Let the IDF squash the Iranian Bug and his cockroach followers. We've given them enough hardware and they have more than enough Brave resourceful men and women who can take out the Iranian bandits

Let the IDF squash the Iranian Bug and his cockroach followers. We've given them enough hardware and they have more than enough Brave resourceful men and women who can take out the Iranian bandits

Yes but Pirate Mike is talking about selling all of these nuts nuclear weapons or anything they want. In other words, kill the competition with nukes if they're available to everyone.

Yes but Pirate Mike is talking about selling all of these nuts nuclear weapons or anything they want. In other words, kill the competition with nukes if they're available to everyone.

nah that's not a good idea. Iran should not have existed since a date four days after they took our hostages. The place should have been a parking lot since then

nah that's not a good idea. Iran should not have existed since a date four days after they took our hostages. The place should have been a parking lot since then

Well I don't know how I feel about THAT idea either. :lol: I would like to have their government overthrown and a more cooperative and friendly one take it's place, but not by us.

Well I don't know how I feel about THAT idea either. :lol: I would like to have their government overthrown and a more cooperative and friendly one take it's place, but not by us.

If carter had squashed those turds for what they did to our embassy, I suspect we'd have a lot less issues with islamist thuggery over in that part of the world

If carter had squashed those turds for what they did to our embassy, I suspect we'd have a lot less issues with islamist thuggery over in that part of the world

That's before I can really remember, but I'm thinking he was completely at a loss of what to do, kind of like Obama is now. I wonder if Carter was even worse. I don't know.

That's before I can really remember, but I'm thinking he was completely at a loss of what to do, kind of like Obama is now. I wonder if Carter was even worse. I don't know.

He pretended to care and was an asshole in person as well as being incompetent.

believe it or not, I suspect Obama is a better person in person, probably about as smart, and equally incompetent

Yeah but "these gentlemen are the moral equivalent of the founding fathers".....

Reagan_sitting_with_people_from_the_Afghanistan-Pakistan_region_in_February_1983.jpg

Oh I'm with you. But it bugs me when people say parochial things like "You have A, so you can't tell someone else they can't have A".

I think it's more parochial to say, "we have A, but we're the only ones that can be trusted with it".

It doesn't matter.

Another country may be making meanwhile nuclear weapons and we do not know yet.

Or wait, it may be USA itself. (Just like the atomic bomb, no one knew about it, until they blast it)

Let me just say one thing. F*** anyone that wants to destroy Israel. Israel? The only Jewish country in the world? You want to destroy it after what happened in the Holocaust? The one that happened so recently that there are still survivors?

Israel may not be perfect. The location may not be ideal, their settlements in Palestine may be stupid, and they may have a great deal of lobbying power in the US. But if you cannot accept that a people that were nearly wiped off the face of the Earth do not deserve to have a land of their own to prosper and be secure, then f*** you (not you, Northern Light. Just whoever says that :) )
I don't want to see it destroyed, though it should be returned to the people the Israelis stole it from, via armed invasion.

I think it's more parochial to say, "we have A, but we're the only ones that can be trusted with it".

Well, it's not parochial, it's just untrue.

Should I be shocked at a country that has nuclear neighbors like Pakistan, India, and Israel, would develop nuclear weapons? No. Would I be shocked if they USED them? Absolutely. That's a death wish.

Why not give it back to the Romans?
Semantics. Yay! There aren't any Romans. Why don't we all return to the Congo? Since you believe that two wrongs make a right, you wouldn't mind if the American people were ever displaced by military conquest. After all, might is right. Right?

Well, it's not parochial, it's just untrue.

I agree. The US is the only country that has proved it cannot be trusted with owning nuclear weapons. But whatya gonna do?

I agree. The US is the only country that has proved it cannot be trusted with owning nuclear weapons. But whatya gonna do?

Seriously?

The Russians don't come to mind? You know, leaving active nuclear weapons guarded by poorly paid soldiers and chain linked fences?
Or how about literal mountains of fissile material unguarded?

Seriously?

The Russians don't come to mind? You know, leaving active nuclear weapons guarded by poorly paid soldiers and chain linked fences?
Or how about literal mountains of fissile material unguarded?
Not quite in the same league as actually dropping them on civilian populaces, now is it?

No one knew at the time so no trust was needed. I'm not aware of the US nuking anyone in the last 60 years and I think most reasonable people would be cautious of Muslim's ushering in a new caliphate getting nukes. Do you share that caution?

Not quite in the same league as actually dropping them on civilian populaces, now is it?

Perhaps, but the risk is quite higher from the Russians. The US use was during the war against a military target.

The Russian's terrible security leaves virtually everyone open to a nuclear or dirty bomb attack by allowing non-state actors to get a hold of them.

The US used atomic weapons in the context of a war. The Russians' security of such weapons puts the whole world in danger.

The world is increasingly becoming a more dangerous place. I think we will unfortuantely see some mushroom clouds go off in our lifetimes. If I were to guess where Iran would be on a list at or near the top.

No one knew at the time so no trust was needed. I'm not aware of the US nuking anyone in the last 60 years and I think most reasonable people would be cautious of Muslim's ushering in a new caliphate getting nukes. Do you share that caution?

No. The governments of these countries aren't suicidal. They know that they'll be obliterated if they use them.

Back
Top Bottom