• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How COVID-19 Is Spreading and How To Stop Its Spread

Ontologuy

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
COVID-19 is being spread primarily in the following ways:

1. Poor communities with multiple families/domicile aren't always wearing masks when commingling families for meals and childcare.

2. Poor communities with one-family/domicile often share family caring and meals among multiple local care givers and their families when parents are working, and masks aren't always being worn in these care gatherings.

3. BLM rioters and other "protestors" clearly don't all wear masks and have abandoned social distancing.

4. Anti-maskers, though despite their vocal opposition, nearly all still wear masks in public stores, they don't wear them at the beach, park, and commingled family gatherings.

5. Many "designer" masks don't really function well to prevent the spread of germs, and many homemade masks are even less functional.

6. A number of people use gloves when out and about but don't know how to properly use or remove them to avoid cross contamination.

If we could address these issues in some way we might be able to really slow or even halt the spread of COVID-19 is some of our major hot spots. I don't really know how we do this. My suggestions here are just ideas. Our local, state, and national leaders need to be recommending specific solutions to all these issues.

1. Local governments need to go door-to-door in poor multi-family domicile communities providing instruction, masks and hand sanitizer to families and check up on them on a regular basis.

2. Local governments need to go door-to-door in poor single-family domicile communities, find the multiple families caring/supporting each other scenarios and provide instruction, masks and hand sanitizer to them all and then check up on them on a regular basis.

3. All assemblies, including BLM mobs, other "protesters", and any large gatherings for any reason must be stopped by order of law and enforcement at the state level until the virus is in check.

4. Heavy fines at the state level must be issued to stop anti-masker assemblies at parks and beaches, and serious effort must be made to stop the spread of anti-mask social media memes videos like "It's Only A Mask", the "Plandemic", "Temperature Guns Damage Your Pineal Gland", and the like. In addition people need to constantly remind anti-maskers that they are being played by the left to not wear a mask to 1) make Trump look bad by association, and 2) cause more of you likely Trump voters to catch COVID-19 and die, reducing the number of Trump-voters in November. Videos of former anti-maskers who had multi-family maskless gatherings at their home and a loved-on caught COVID-19 and died and they're now devastated and distraught need to be spread across social media, underscoring to anti-maskers that the virus is very real and very deadly, that masks do work to prevent the spread of COVID-19, and that masks are really completely safe to wear.

5. The federal government must create functionally effective standards for mask makers and have that stamp of approval on every mask passing the test for it to be sold in the U.S., and homemade masks need to be strongly discouraged.

6. State and federal governments need to make policies discouraging the use of gloves and encouraging the use of hand washing and hand sanitizer, complete with hand sanitizer usage instructions.

1. Poor communities with multiple families/domicile aren't always wearing masks when commingling families for meals and childcare.

2. Poor communities with one-family/domicile often share family caring and meals among multiple local care givers and their families when parents are working, and masks aren't always being worn in these care gatherings.

3. BLM rioters and other "protestors" clearly don't all wear masks and have abandoned social distancing.

4. Anti-maskers, though despite their vocal opposition, nearly all still wear masks in public stores, they don't wear them at the beach, park, and commingled family gatherings.

5. Many "designer" masks don't really function well to prevent the spread of germs, and many homemade masks are even less functional.

6. A number of people use gloves when out and about but don't know how to properly use or remove them to avoid cross contamination.

If we could address these issues in some way we might be able to really slow or even halt the spread of COVID-19 is some of our major hot spots. I don't really know how we do this. My suggestions here are just ideas. Our local, state, and national leaders need to be recommending specific solutions to all these issues.

1. Local governments need to go door-to-door in poor multi-family domicile communities providing instruction, masks and hand sanitizer to families and check up on them on a regular basis.

2. Local governments need to go door-to-door in poor single-family domicile communities, find the multiple families caring/supporting each other scenarios and provide instruction, masks and hand sanitizer to them all and then check up on them on a regular basis.

3. All assemblies, including BLM mobs, other "protesters", and any large gatherings for any reason must be stopped by order of law and enforcement at the state level until the virus is in check.

4. Heavy fines at the state level must be issued to stop anti-masker assemblies at parks and beaches, and serious effort must be made to stop the spread of anti-mask social media memes videos like "It's Only A Mask", the "Plandemic", "Temperature Guns Damage Your Pineal Gland", and the like. In addition people need to constantly remind anti-maskers that they are being played by the left to not wear a mask to 1) make Trump look bad by association, and 2) cause more of you likely Trump voters to catch COVID-19 and die, reducing the number of Trump-voters in November. Videos of former anti-maskers who had multi-family maskless gatherings at their home and a loved-on caught COVID-19 and died and they're now devastated and distraught need to be spread across social media, underscoring to anti-maskers that the virus is very real and very deadly, that masks do work to prevent the spread of COVID-19, and that masks are really completely safe to wear.

5. The federal government must create functionally effective standards for mask makers and have that stamp of approval on every mask passing the test for it to be sold in the U.S., and homemade masks need to be strongly discouraged.

6. State and federal governments need to make policies discouraging the use of gloves and encouraging the use of hand washing and hand sanitizer, complete with hand sanitizer usage instructions.

Like all other right wingers, you put all the onus on the victims.

We NEED to do EXACTLY what the Kushner report told us. Of course, they buried it, as it was not right wing. The INFECTED, must be tested, and quarantined. Exploratory testing among essential workers. Testing of the vulnerable and those around the vulnerable.

MANDATORY masks in all public areas. Quarantining of all that travel here. Within a month, month and a half tops, we would have a hundred deaths a day, better than a thou.

Are only the poor not wearing mask at home vs the middle class?

Other than characteristics caused by simply being poor, such as 3 gens living in the same hshld, vs the middle class, etc., what's the diff?

The Constitution and BoR clearly state that you cannot do #3.

I think you missed a big one. The retailers, particularly, grocery stores have young stock clerks who refill all the products on a daily basis, and they don't show symptoms or wear gloves. Everyone who touches these bags, boxes and packages is spreading the virus. Even if you wash your hands before and after handling the products, they still transmit covid for awhile.

It is not reallty any of the stuff you are saying...it is much more simple than that. You have a family who has someone with symptoms...that family is now facing eviction, losing electricity, not having food on the table and losing other utilities if they do not work....so, what happens...they pretend the person isn't sick and the non symptomatic people go to work, infecting others. We are dealing with that now. I have symptoms of Covid19. I am waiting on test results...so I am not going out, but my husband continues to work socially distanced from others and I can only imagine if he were unable to distance and had to make the choice. Luckily he told the crew he was working on one of the houses alone and it is an empty house(so we will disinfect when work is done). Chances are I have just one hell of a bad allergy and cold going on...but I have been tested. I am stuck with the 3 day test, because SC doesn't have the 15 min saliva test in my area.
Do I feel bad? Worse than I have ever felt in my life...but I am sure my bp is not doing well now either, because I am now stuck worrying that it is something worse.

I think you missed a big one. The retailers, particularly, grocery stores have young stock clerks who refill all the products on a daily basis, and they don't show symptoms or wear gloves. Everyone who touches these bags, boxes and packages is spreading the virus. Even if you wash your hands before and after handling the products, they still transmit covid for awhile.

False. It has been determined, that few if any get covid from packages. Unless someone sneezes on the package. That is why masks are used, and they had SNEEZE guards at buffets.

It is not reallty any of the stuff you are saying...it is much more simple than that. You have a family who has someone with symptoms...that family is now facing eviction, losing electricity, not having food on the table and losing other utilities if they do not work....so, what happens...they pretend the person isn't sick and the non symptomatic people go to work, infecting others. We are dealing with that now. I have symptoms of Covid19. I am waiting on test results...so I am not going out, but my husband continues to work socially distanced from others and I can only imagine if he were unable to distance and had to make the choice. Luckily he told the crew he was working on one of the houses alone and it is an empty house(so we will disinfect when work is done). Chances are I have just one hell of a bad allergy and cold going on...but I have been tested. I am stuck with the 3 day test, because SC doesn't have the 15 min saliva test in my area.
Do I feel bad? Worse than I have ever felt in my life...but I am sure my bp is not doing well now either, because I am now stuck worrying that it is something worse.

If you get tightness in the chest and shortness of breath, you very well might have covid. That was my only real symptom, and I tested positive for a secondary strep pneumonia infection brought on by the virus. They gave me steroids and antibiotics for a month which made me miserable but helped.

Honey better treatment for coughs and colds than antibiotics, study claims | Science | The Guardian

False. It has been determined, that few if any get covid from packages. Unless someone sneezes on the package. That is why masks are used, and they had SNEEZE guards at buffets.

Anyone who goes to a buffet right now is clearly too stupid to survive.

Other than characteristics caused by simply being poor, such as 3 gens living in the same hshld, vs the middle class, etc., what's the diff?
Family members of poor communities are simply more communal in their mutual support, the non-working adults and teens go over to each other's homes next door to support each other in feeding and caring for the kids while other parents, adults, are at work, and this can cause cross-contamination en masse because they're "comfortable" with each other and thus don't wear masks.

People who are not poor do that very infrequently and thus there are no hot spots of the virus in these communities. Nevertheless, you are right, wherever such behavior occurs, there needs to be masks worn when people who don't live at a particular domicile visit that domicile, regardless of economic conditions.

Regardless, my point number 4 is still an issue with a number of right-wingers who are anti-maskers, as they too often bring people from other nuclear families into their home unmasked for social gatherings, upping the odds of spreading COVID-19.

Yes, even though far less of a viral load can be picked up from objects than directly from another person's breathing, coughing, and sneezing, it's still important to use hand sanitizer.

These stores where gloves are not required need to be temperature testing everyone when they enter the door, and the frequent application of hand sanitizer should be policy.

Of course, stores should continue to enforce recommended policy of not coming to work if an employee isn't feeling well.

Yes, this scenario is definitely a problem .. and I really hope your test comes back negative.

With state shutdowns taking so many people out of the work force, those remaining at work in a family simply have to work or great economic hardship including homelessness can result.

I don't know that this problem is addressable, however, and simply remains one of the loose ends that can't really be tied up well.

In an attempt to shore up hot spots, I don't know there's much that can be done about this situation .. and it may be more of a major issue than we hear about.

Yes, even though far less of a viral load can be picked up from objects than directly from another person's breathing, coughing, and sneezing, it's still important to use hand sanitizer.

These stores where gloves are not required need to be temperature testing everyone when they enter the door, and the frequent application of hand sanitizer should be policy.

Of course, stores should continue to enforce recommended policy of not coming to work if an employee isn't feeling well.

The problem with young stock clerks is that they may have asymptomatic infections, making them 'invisible' carriers. The only way to diagnose them is thru testing. I believe far too much emphasis has been put on airborne transmission, making 'hand to mouth' from surface contaminations less important in priority. Many infectious diseases are spread by hand to mouth.

Show Me the Science - Why Wash Your Hands? | Handwashing | CDC

The problem with young stock clerks is that they may have asymptomatic infections, making them 'invisible' carriers. The only way to diagnose them is thru testing. I believe far too much emphasis has been put on airborne transmission, making 'hand to mouth' from surface contaminations less important in priority. Many infectious diseases are spread by hand to mouth.

Show Me the Science - Why Wash Your Hands? | Handwashing | CDC
Yes, stock clerks are just about always young, and the young are infamous asymptomatic carriers of COVID-19. And, this virus lives on surfaces better and longer than even the flu virus.

The link you posted on the science of washing one's hands is excellent.

Since I know not everyone who works at a store is washing and hand sanitizing as they should, I carry with me a small 8-oz refillable bottle of hand sanitizer and I pump it at propitious moments during grocery shopping or wherever I'm shopping.

Sadly, because the young think they're bulletproof, they get lax about keeping their hands clean.

It's definitely a challenge.

Minorities seem to not wear masks and don't socially distance. There should be a concerted effort to educate them and provide them with the proper equipment.

They say wear masks and gloves etc. but have don't instruct the people how to properly use them. As part of receiving your next stimulus check you should be required to watch an instructional how to video before you receive your check.

Anyone who goes to a buffet right now is clearly too stupid to survive.

Anyone who goes into a sit down restaurant of any kind is significantly increasing their risk of exposure

Be well, stay safe.

As individuals, we may have difficulty in seeing how we can affect the actions of others, much less those of groups of people and organizations, governmental and otherwise. One person, despite all of the lovely slogans and 'talking points', is just one person. Each of us is but one in 331,000,000.

That said, each of us can at least incorporate the Big 3 into our routine daily lives: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

We need to avoid all indoor settings and activities as much as possible and wear masks while in these environments. This disease is predominantly spread through air droplets. Many places brag about all the disinfectant procedures they do but you can't disinfect the air. People aren't catching this thing by touching the wrong door knob. Social distancing is overrated in indoor environments. For example, if you are going to eat in a restaurant (of course your mask will be off) it doesn't matter if it is just you and one other table clear across on the other side. If they are breathing Covid air out (again, they are not wearing their masks to eat) the air they are breathing out will be circulated clear over to your side. In fact, if you are the ONLY table in the entire restaurant, you may still be breathing in the Covid air that the last table breathed out before they left.

Last edited:
We need to avoid all indoor settings and activities as much as possible and wear masks while in these environments. This disease is predominantly spread through air droplets. Many places brag about all the disinfectant procedures they do but you can't disinfect the air. People aren't catching this thing by touching the wrong door knob. Social distancing is overrated in indoor environments. For example, if you are going to eat in a restaurant (of course your mask will be off) it doesn't matter if it is just you and one other table clear across on the other side. If they are breathing Covid air out (again, they are not wearing their masks to eat) the air they are breathing out will be circulated clear over to your side. In fact, if you are the ONLY table in the entire restaurant, you may still be breathing in the Covid air that the last table breathed out before they left.
Yes, sadly, this is true. And I've also read that in hospital settings where they have the air conditioning up it just ends of circulating the virus throughout the facility (though I would have hoped they had a small enough particle filter on their ACs to trap the virus).

But yes, that's the problem with indoor activities. I've not eaten inside a restaurant since the recent BLM riots-caused cases spike, as I'm aware how the virus travels in the air.

But I wouldn't even eat outside at a restaurant in a low income high population density area, as there's an increased likelihood of multiple diners who may be carrying COVID-19, especially kids.

Yes, sadly, this is true. And I've also read that in hospital settings where they have the air conditioning up it just ends of circulating the virus throughout the facility (though I would have hoped they had a small enough particle filter on their ACs to trap the virus).

But yes, that's the problem with indoor activities. I've not eaten inside a restaurant since the recent BLM riots-caused cases spike, as I'm aware how the virus travels in the air.

But I wouldn't even eat outside at a restaurant in a low income high population density area, as there's an increased likelihood of multiple diners who may be carrying COVID-19, especially kids.

I recently bought hospital grade air filters for my HVAC systems both at home and at work.

FALSE. ozonating the air that goes thru a high performance air conditioning system, does help a lot.

False, usually, within seconds, all the virus will fall, unless there are serious drafts. IT is not the air you are breathing, if there are no droplets.

Back
Top Bottom